Cambria Hotel and Suites | 8-Story 155-Room Hotel [Approved]

orange87

20 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

There was a proposal for this lot pre-Cambria that shows what this would potentially look like as a mid rise. Unfortunately I cannot find it — perhaps someone else has it.  

It was also designed by the titular head of Orlando architecture and design, so we would have a pretty good idea how this will turn out .  Like others have mentioned, at least Lincoln Properties is behind it and they have a decent track record in DTO.

Yeah, I think it was called The Crystal or something. I found a pic in my Urban Planet gallery from a few years ago, but I guess the quality degrades after X years of not being used. There may be a better quality pic somewhere on this forum.

post-26482-0-62895000-1363025116_thumb.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://permitlookup.cityoforlando.net/WebPermits/PlanReview

Plan Review

Permit Number: ARB2023-10065
Project: 170 E. Washington St.- New Contruction
Address: 170 E WASHINGTON ST Orlando FL
Description: New construction of 364 residential units and commercial units.
Application Status: Open
NameStatusDue DateCompletedNotesReviewer
Approve9/7/2023

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

I find it odd that the sales history for that lot "170 E Washington St" has been erased in property appraiser. I'm certain it showed the sales history earlier this year when I last checked. It's not a confidential parcel, so I'm not sure what's up...

It sold for $3M back in 2017, so I'm curious how much Lincoln Properties bought it for in today's market.

Does anyone know how to find the most recent sales record?

8620ed41-6e0c-41ee-b3fc-7761a247321a_4997226129914.thumb.jpeg.1e968ec9555b5f7c2ed9d635a6a0ed60.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Equipment on site today, using the fill dirt brought in to level the site from the demolition completed the last few weeks. PXL_20231117_165712336.thumb.jpg.d11fa8ab323884e845e4d96ab44cbbef.jpg

Alright!!!!  :thumbsup:

Time to lay some sod and start enjoying that fenced in empty lot that will be there five years from now!!!!  :yahoo:

Downtown Orlawndo.  :D 

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2023 at 8:47 AM, codypet said:

Yea this is one of those rare cases where tearing down the building was actually an improvement.

Agreed. Given the history of everything that occurred on and around that site, I'm just glad the property is no longer under the church's posession.

This new lot assemblage on Wall St could serve as the parking garage ingress/egress... we actually talked about these very same things in 2019, so I'm glad it's coming to fruition!

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/118287-cambria-hotel-and-suites-8-story-155-room-hotel-approved/page/3/

Edited by nite owℓ

On 11/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

So are they actually building something here or just playing with dirt? 

these people haven’t even started The Edge . Ugh 

It's Orlando, they're just playing with dirt. 

7 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Agreed. Given the history of everything that occurred on and around that site...

Well now I'm curious. 

Edited by F-L-A
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, F-L-A said:

It's Orlando, they're just playing with dirt. 

Well now I'm curious. 

Basically in a nutshell...

The church purchased the building to convert it into a homeless drop-in center, but fundraising dried up due to the GFC. They started renovating the building without permits and it was rumored they allowed people to sleep inside of the building in its unfinished state. They definitely allowed homeless people to camp out on site though. The building was condemned by the City and remained vacant since.

The church held weekly mass feedings for homeless people on the property's parking lot and it created a lot of problems for the surrounding areas (people loitering, camping out, aggressive panhandling, etc). The church only seemed focused on providing outreach services without responsibly taking into account the toll on it's surroundings... then one night a woman was brutally assaulted amd raped in the alley between AT&T and the pink building by a transient. There were already several other reports of women being assaulted by homeless people around Lake Eola over the years.

The city had been in talks with the church to reduce or stop the mass feedings over the years. Fencing was installed around the pink building and subsequently around the church itself a few years ago. Mass feedings continued into 2023, but hopefully the new development will put an end to it.

On 11/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, IAmFloridaBorn said:

these people haven’t even started The Edge . Ugh 

Just noticed, according to the article, they will break ground on The Edge in the 1st quarter of 2024. Fingers crossed 🤞

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/10/24/lincoln-property-eyes-lake-eola-site-for-mixed-use-tower/

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Basically in a nutshell...

The church purchased the building to convert it into a homeless drop-in center, but fundraising dried up due to the GFC. They started renovating the building without permits and it was rumored they allowed people to sleep inside of the building in its unfinished state. They definitely allowed homeless people to camp out on site though. The building was condemned by the City and remained vacant since.

The church held weekly mass feedings for homeless people on the property's parking lot and it created a lot of problems for the surrounding areas (people loitering, camping out, aggressive panhandling, etc). The church only seemed focused on providing outreach services without responsibly taking into account the toll on it's surroundings... then one night a woman was brutally assaulted amd raped in the alley between AT&T and the pink building by a transient. There were already several other reports of women being assaulted by homeless people around Lake Eola over the years.

The city had been in talks with the church to reduce or stop the mass feedings over the years. Fencing was installed around the pink building and subsequently around the church itself a few years ago. Mass feedings continued into 2023, but hopefully the new development will put an end to it.

Just noticed, according to the article, they will break ground on The Edge in the 1st quarter of 2024. Fingers crossed 🤞

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2023/10/24/lincoln-property-eyes-lake-eola-site-for-mixed-use-tower/

yeah...my stance (in case you missed it) is for that church to stop feeding the homeless at that location for those reasons above.  If they're worried about their ESG Scores with The G.O.D., then figure something else out somewhere on OBT south of I-4 instead.  Time and place... PLACE...and that church's location at Rosalind ain't it for feeding homeless.  They're not the only Coptic Orthodox church in the region.  They have money and just built a new building off of I-4 the past two years.  They can figure something else out...like a food truck or whatever...

1 hour ago, codypet said:

That church has to be careful or the Rosalind Club is gonna try to take it over and expand Lake Eola Park with its site.   They'll show a rendering of an expanded park that will only be made possible by absorbing Rosalind into the park and then claim success.

I think that church is on the historic register, isn't it?

12 hours ago, codypet said:

That church has to be careful or the Rosalind Club is gonna try to take it over and expand Lake Eola Park with its site.   They'll show a rendering of an expanded park that will only be made possible by absorbing Rosalind into the park and then claim success.

They could always add plans for a pedestrian crossing over Rosalind using public funds and call it the Lake Eola annex. 💀

Never underestimate the power of the "little old ladies" (as they like to call themselves).