Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

58 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think they had a fire and must have decided to remodel the entire place while they were closed.

You are one pessimistic basket case,

I know. I mean I can't help it. It's just where I'm from it makes you pessimistic. 

PS. I'm from North Carolina. The Charlotte area to be exact.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

State government launched 'Project Tetris' to consolidate office space downtown as more government employees working from home now. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/10/19/tennessee-shifting-work-habits-changing-states-real-estate-footprint-saving-millions/71147248007/

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

Wonder if this will lead to the State selling off all those surface parking lots around JRP and Rosa Parks

18 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Don't hold your breath!

I agree with Baronakim on this one. As much as I really want those surface lots to go away. With the State owning them and the zoning regulations around the State capital (specifically the height ones) I don't see the State getting the asking price that they would ultimately want to ask for those properties. I believe the height limitations have been discussed on the board somewhere, but those are buried somewhere in the bellows of the board. Essentially, the height regulations limit height not in stories here, but rather elevation above sea level. This is based on the actual elevation of the State Capital and thus preserving views around the capital. This is actually a very common thing as it is utilized in many states and I personally have seen it in MA and RI. 

As a revision, I would like to see the height regs around the capital revised to really focus those sightlines on the capital from Bi-Centennial Mall/Park.  There is alot of opportunity in the parcels surrounding the capital to bring great, added density along with new business opportunities. 

• Like 3

Yeah, it’s definitely a different situation than other parcels. Just such a waste of valuable land to just be parking lots. Even using them to build a new TPAC with maybe perhaps a parking garage above a couple floors of commercial/ retail with a transit station ( thinking positive ) would make for a much better option.

• Like 2

What the State needs to do is consolidate all its office space just adjacent to the Music City Central so everyone that needs to come into Downtown for work can catch a bus and have their office within walking distance.

So I would keep the old Citizens Bank Tower and sell off the Polk and the Snodgrass Tower-the Polk Bldg. would need extensive reworking whether it would stay office space-such as a bank-or become a hotel-possibly adding additional load bearing structures-to this day it kinda scares me even to just look at it-and the Snodgrass Tower could be renovated in order to attract a major company to make it its HQ-I seem to remember back in the Haslam administration this idea was floated.

• Like 4