Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Except Nashville is 20 years behind in a LOT of ways, most glaringly in transit and infrastructure, ways that Charlotte has us beat solidly and that are glaringly obvious to an observant visitor who is used to better. 

20 years ago when I lived in Missouri, Nashville was just a large "town" I'd pass through on my way to visit Charlotte, which I considered a destination "city" at the time. Nashville has come a long way in those 20 years, and even though there's a lot to be done, it takes time. The lack of transit is frustrating, but at least the conversation is happening.

• Like 3

The Broadstone Stockyard mixed-use residential development (4 & 5 stories, 334 units) has filed for a permit related to stormwater grading.  An early fall start date is planned for groundbreaking.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21012198/ballparkarea-project-progresses-with-preliminary-work

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Except Nashville is 20 years behind in a LOT of ways, most glaringly in transit and infrastructure, ways that Charlotte has us beat solidly and that are glaringly obvious to an observant visitor who is used to better. 

Nothing said troll, if that was trolling then people need to thicken their skin a bit. 

Agree 100 percent.

WW

• Like 1

Google-owned KeepTruckin Inc. has gone from zero to 50 employees in less than a year here in Nashville. Moving out of their corner of WeWork co-working space, and into 11,000 sq. feet in the annex to the L&C Tower. The company expects to be at 90 employees by year's end, and add another 60-70 by the end of 2019, bringing their total to around 200. The company designs apps for trucking to be more profitable. 

More behind theNBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/05/with-fresh-50m-google-backed-tech-company-rapidly.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_NA&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b3e4e9204d30146cf28dee5&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

159 4th Ave. North is where they will be transferring to and taking up 11,000 sq. ft:

149 4th Ave. North, L&C Annex Building.png

• Like 3

I'm genuinely asking, not trying to cause an argument, but does Charlotte have a thing it's known for? Like does it have one quality that makes it especially unique? I have traveled extensively and always encounter people who are fascinated to learn I'm from Nashville. Some of them know it as "Music City" and some know it from the TV show, but regardless, but does Charlotte, (or any other city in the U.S. aside from perhaps New Orleans or something) have a unique identity that makes it known worldwide? (aside from being a large population center like NY or LA)

Branding is a factor indeed. But population goes a long way for a city like Charlotte or Nashville. Charlotte's metropolitan population is almost 2.5 million in about 3,500 square miles. Nashville's Metro population is a little over 1.9 million in 7,000 square miles. Nashville is not always going to be the it City. We have gained a lot of traction because of being the quote-unquote it City.

Cities with the brand are New Orleans, Las Vegas, Austin to mention a few. Nashville is not alone in having a brand for its City

Sorry guys, I'm trying to speak this to save my finger from getting tired

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Agreed! I think we need to embrace differences throughout cities, Afterall we’re all in the USA! And I realize I may have come off as more abrasive then I intended to be, And I apologize! 

My apologies for assuming you were a troll.  My years as a woman posting on a sports board (I'm a college football fan)...I've come across so many trolls that at times, my radar goes off and I make assumptions that I shouldn't.  I hope you will come back to our fair city...and I wish nothing but success to Charlotte (that's my legal name, btw :))

• Like 4

9 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I'm genuinely asking, not trying to cause an argument, but does Charlotte have a thing it's known for? Like does it have one quality that makes it especially unique? I have traveled extensively and always encounter people who are fascinated to learn I'm from Nashville. Some of them know it as "Music City" and some know it from the TV show, but regardless, but does Charlotte, (or any other city in the U.S. aside from perhaps New Orleans or something) have a unique identity that makes it known worldwide? (aside from being a large population center like NY or LA)

NashOb,

Charlotte has the "banking industry" brand but 1. that is not very exciting and 2. most folks are unaware of it. Charlotte also is considered by some the "NASCAR capital." But to answer your question, Charlotte is not the type city that has a distinctive identity or brand.

However, other  mid-sized U.S. cities do have brands and are recognized worldwide (at least to some extent). Nashville is not the only such city.  They are:

Vegas: Night life, shows and gambling

NOLA: French quarter, Mardi Gras, jazz, trolleys

Charleston: historic architecture and the food and beverage scene is world class

Orlando: Disney World (known by millions worldwide)

Other mid-sized cities with internationally lesser-known brands:

Austin: live music

Memphis: rock and roll, blues

Portland: beer and coffee

Savannah (smallish city, admittedly): historic architecture

The large cities have "brands" too:

LA: music, film, fashion, TV, the beach culture, retail

New York: music, film, fashion, TV, architecture, media ... you name it

Chicago: Pizza, the Cubs, architecture, blues

Detroit: various forms of African-American music, auto industry

Miami: Latin music, dancing, fashion

San Francisco: bridges, water, cable cars, jazz

Boston: universities (Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston U., etc.), the Red Sox

D.C.: museums, government

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Nashville is not always going to be the it City. We have gained a lot of traction because of being the quote-unquote it City.

This is the crux of the issue. You can't use Nashville's current brand recognition as a gauge because it's an outlier, it will inevitably decrease once the next It Cities come around.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 6:25 AM, Nathan_in_DC said:

Nothing said troll, if that was trolling then people need to thicken their skin a bit. 

Maybe what is confusing to some in Charlotte is how a city that is 20 years behind is on the HQ2 short-list and got an MLS franchise, two things that Charlotte was left off of.

• Like 1

AllianceBernstein has signed a lease for short-term office space in co-working giant WeWork's downtown space within One Nashville Place, as it waits for its new headquarters in the 5th& Broadway office tower to be built. One source familiar with the deal said the lease gives AllianceBernstein the ability to add up to 400 jobs in Nashville.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/09/exclusive-alliancebernstein-nabs-its-short-term.html

• Like 4

Country music star Luke Bryan is partnering with TC Restaurant Group to open Luke's 32 Bridge Kitchen + Drink in the one time 2 story bank building at 301 Broadway (built in 1928), that is most currently home to a boot store.  The TC Group owns all the surrounding buildings along Broadway and Third Ave. South. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/09/documents-country-superstar-luke-bryan-plans.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_NA&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_content=5b43889e9ebbef0007bd9f52&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

It is the white block in this rendering here:

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 11.12.06 AM.png

301 Broadway x.jpg

• Like 3

A couple more articles on the Heaven's Door Distillery (featuring Bob Dylan branded whiskey) that will be in the old church at 410 Elm St. It was most recently home to Tuck Hilton Architects:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/28/business/media/bob-dylan-heavens-door.html

http://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/bob-dylan-is-knock-knock-knockin-on-whiskeys-door-with-launch-of-heavens-door-whiskey/

• Like 1