Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Just a little observation, but after I grabbed my new plates downtown, I took a drive up KVB. The corner at 6th has a backhoe on site and is fenced off. I haven't seen any demo permits in lieu of the Spring Hill Suites, so anybody want to guess that this might be a go? Also, workers were on site at the Hilton on Almond.

LOL! I gave up bowling a few years ago! Seriously, this building is not large enough for a regulation bowling lane. The building has to be at least 100 feet deep. The approach and lane is 78 feet plus an additional 15-20 feet at the end of the lane for machinery, the ball return etc...

The USBC does not certify these types of "bowling"centers because most of the time they are not actual regulation lanes. This is like a penny arcade bowling lane. Not the real thing, but folks will have fun when they don't know the difference. These so called lanes will be way short of the regulation 78 feet. (63 feet from the foul line to the back of the pin deck and the approach is 15 feet.)

I would be shocked if these lanes are "real"

Maybe it can be a senior lane for all of us 50 and older. The closer the pins the better.

Just a little observation, but after I grabbed my new plates downtown, I took a drive up KVB. The corner at 6th has a backhoe on site and is fenced off. I haven't seen any demo permits in lieu of the Spring Hill Suites, so anybody want to guess that this might be a go? Also, workers were on site at the Hilton on Almond.

Also the delay on the HGI is due to Metro. The final site plat is now being approved as are a few other projects.

The Gulch is quickly becoming a restaurant hot spot. 

Wondering if this is somehow related to all the lot resurfacing they're doing next door to Terrazzo, seems like an excessive lot for just Rumors (new'ish sign says parking for Rumors customers).

Wondering if this is somehow related to all the lot resurfacing they're doing next door to Terrazzo, seems like an excessive lot for just Rumors (new'ish sign says parking for Rumors customers).

That very well could be. I do think at some point there needs to be decent sized parking garage built in the Gulch. I certainly want the retail in that area to flourish.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

The original proposal for the several office buildings to be built in the Gulch

GulchOfficex.jpg

The ESA building would be site 'A' "up to 200,000 sf.

There was another article that listed the possible (max?) floor count per site as:

A - 17 Stories

B - 12 Stories

C - 22 Stories

D - 12 Stories

E - 12 Stories

However, if the buildings look anything like the above rendering and the proposed 11th and Pine building....

Gulch11Pine_zps56f51f82.jpg

.... I could care less about height! :thumbsup:

I'd like to see 11th and Pine building materialize and house a Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid. The area is lacking in that sort of 'oops I forgot x at grocery store' shopping. I can walk to Kocktails and Kouture but have to get in the car for toothpaste which is retarded for a mixed use area.

• Like 1

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Good luck with Walgreens, I mean Smallgreens. The location downtown closes at 4 on Saturday and is not opened on Sunday. They close at 5 during the week too. I cannot tell you how many people I see on Sunday walk away pissed because they refuse to open on Sunday.

If we want more residents downtown, these payroll pinching billionaire retailers need to cough up some coin, and pay for someone to work on Sunday!

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite
  • Like 1

As someone who lives in Germantown I too know how it feels to not have a convient misc. item store nearby, if it's late at night I will drive to either Krogers or the Walgreens down on 8th.

Also, of note in the Gulch, Pub Nashville on Pine Street has started construction, hopefully this place is as cool as the articles have made it out to be.

Edited by bhibbs

As someone who lives in Germantown I too know how it feels to not have a convient misc. item store nearby, if it's late at night I will drive to either Krogers or the Walgreens down on 8th.

Also, of note in the Gulch, Pub Nashville on Pine Street has started construction, hopefully this place is as cool as the articles have made it out to be.

That should be a cool spot. I am still really looking forward to the Burger Republic spot in PSF. Also, welcome to the  board!

It's funny...the other day, I was thinking that a lot of these neighborhoods used to have small groceries/variety stores. Then the nation in general started trending to big box stores and strip malls. Now we're getting away from those (at least in terms of urban construction), and there is once again the need for smaller neighborhood stores.

Hopefully, as the population increases, a lot of our new neighborhoods and gentrifying neighborhoods will get the local retail that they really need.

Where is Pub Nashville? I guess I missed the talk about that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

The Pub is going to be in the new Pine Street Flats building.
With is not being as "high end" as the other bars already in the area it should be a welcome addition.

I know I am always looking for a new place to watch a game and grab a drink.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,I have lurked around for many months, I work with a company that allows me to stay up to date with a lot of developement in the area so hopefully I can add a little bit to the board. As a native to Nashville I am thrilled with everything that is happening right now.

My friend and I were both in town this weekend from Dallas and DC respectively and were looking for a good place to get a drink outside and catch up.  We were both stunned, however, by how empty the Gulch felt on a gorgeous Memorial Day weekend! Literally, we walked around at about 2:30 and were the only people on the streets. Very surprising considering how alive I've seen it at other times.  Maybe Pine St Flats will liven the place up a little more?

I guess we should've gone over to East Nashville! 

The Pub is going to be in the new Pine Street Flats building.

With is not being as "high end" as the other bars already in the area it should be a welcome addition.

I know I am always looking for a new place to watch a game and grab a drink.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,I have lurked around for many months, I work with a company that allows me to stay up to date with a lot of developement in the area so hopefully I can add a little bit to the board. As a native to Nashville I am thrilled with everything that is happening right now.

Ah. So Pine Street Flats is getting Burger Republic and Pub Nashville? I think I found my new favorite building.

I'm a native Nashvillian as well, and it's simply amazing how much this town has changed in the past two decades.

My friend and I were both in town this weekend from Dallas and DC respectively and were looking for a good place to get a drink outside and catch up.  We were both stunned, however, by how empty the Gulch felt on a gorgeous Memorial Day weekend! Literally, we walked around at about 2:30 and were the only people on the streets. Very surprising considering how alive I've seen it at other times.  Maybe Pine St Flats will liven the place up a little more?

That's strange. The last time I was in The Gulch (photo thread), it was very active...and that was in the early afternoon, too. Were you there on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday? There seem to be a lot of people there on Saturdays. I have no idea about Sundays.

Still...strange for a holiday weekend. Perhaps there was another event in the area drawing most of the usual crowd?

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

The Gulch is still pretty much a Vanderbilt hangout. Quite a large number of Vanderbilt students live in ICON. I have a real estate friend that calls it another Vanderbilt dormitory, or a Vanderbilt sorority house! I am not surprised if it was empty. Join us on the east side. There is always something going on.

The Gulch is still pretty much a Vanderbilt hangout. Quite a large number of Vanderbilt students live in ICON. I have a real estate friend that calls it another Vanderbilt dormitory, or a Vanderbilt sorority house! I am not surprised if it was empty. Join us on the east side. There is always something going on.

This is just not true. Vandy undergrads almost exclusively live on campus, as they are required to do. The ICON crowd is 25-45 year olds who make good money. I know many people who live in the Gulch and most of them fit that mold.

So...why were we having our forum meetings at "a Vanderbilt hangout" then?

Good luck with Walgreens, I mean Smallgreens. The location downtown closes at 4 on Saturday and is not opened on Sunday. They close at 5 during the week too. I cannot tell you how many people I see on Sunday walk away pissed because they refuse to open on Sunday.

If we want more residents downtown, these payroll pinching billionaire retailers need to cough up some coin, and pay for someone to work on Sunday!

I've always assumed that store is entirely for the benefit of the workday crowd and the numbers don't line up for a traditional schedule. And really that's what I'd like to find out about the Gulch and that type of store, what is the gap that makes opening a store unpalatable. 

This is just not true. Vandy undergrads almost exclusively live on campus, as they are required to do. The ICON crowd is 25-45 year olds who make good money. I know many people who live in the Gulch and most of them fit that mold.

There are a good number of people in ICON above 45 anecdotally.

We lived in Vista Germantown for a year (shamefully constructed and managed crap btw, never consider it) and while it was nice that Rite Aid was right there they closed way too early. Kroger was convenient and we usually ended up going to Walgreens at Charlotte and DB Todd.

The people who normally frequent the Gulch and other midtown establishments (like I do) were probably at the pool or on the lake (like I was). Just saying. Nashville has notoriously been a ghost town over past summer holiday weekends, as many people would rather grill out and drink near the water than in a bar.

We lived in Vista Germantown for a year (shamefully constructed and managed crap btw, never consider it) and while it was nice that Rite Aid was right there they closed way too early. Kroger was convenient and we usually ended up going to Walgreens at Charlotte and DB Todd.

This seems to be a problem everywhere in Nashville. Even when I lived on Elliston place, the nearest place to get a soda or toothpaste was 5 or 10 blocks away.

While I think these amenities will eventually come in the urban areas, I wonder about the inner, less dense, neighborhoods such as east nashville and the Belmont area. One thing I love about California is that even in residential neighborhoods, there is typically a corner market (or some sort oof commercial business) every few blocks. While a car free lifestyle isn't quite possible, there is the opportunity to walk to some services.

It makes me wonder about the zoning laws in Nashville. What are they? Are they completely restrictive of converting a residential lot into a commercially zoned structure? How has zoning history shaped some of the "trolley car" neighborhoods? Did there used to be more neighborhood markets, or did they never exist?

If someone knows the answers, I would like to hear them.

When I move back, we plan to buy in East Nashville. I know there are a few small business spaces in the east side neighborhoods, but not many. Many neighborhoods on the east side are just as suburban as further out places. Im excited about the prospect of moving back, but I'm going to miss my corner markets here in Berkeley.

I was in Nashville last weekend too... and I must say there were many people out and around.  In fact, I took note of all the people who were "al fresco" along West End, H'boro, Belmont (that was the most bustling of all!), Centennial Park (there was a GMO rally), and Music Row around Edgehill Village.  Lots of people along Division Street in Midtown too.  The only time I went near the Gulch was along Demonbreun viaduct... so I couldn't tell how crowded it was. Saw a goodly number of folks at Five Points too.

Edited by MLBrumby