Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

We are getting closer to national vote by mail. 40 million more people (minus kids and the unregistered) will get a ballot (with return postage) automatically sent to them for the November election.

California Governor Gavin Newsom on Friday said he had signed an executive order for all California registered voters to receive a mail-in ballot for the November election.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-california/california-voters-to-get-mail-in-ballots-for-2020-election-governor-idUSKBN22K2T3

No reason we can't do this in NC.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

We are getting closer to national vote by mail. 40 million more people (minus kids and unregistered voters) will get a ballot (with return postage) automatically sent to them for the November election.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-california/california-voters-to-get-mail-in-ballots-for-2020-election-governor-idUSKBN22K2T3

No reason we can't do this in NC.

No reason we can't do it nationwide, except that it would make certain demographics more likely to vote and therefore certain types of politics more likely to lose.

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

No reason we can't do it nationwide, except that it would make certain demographics more likely to vote and therefore certain types of politics more likely to lose.

There’s actually no definitive data to support that. In fact, there are many studies that show vote by mail would disproportionally favor Republicans. We just don’t know. But it’s tru that if the GOP believes it helps Dems, they won’t go for it. My prediction: not gonna matter In terms of turnout. Dems will crawl over broken glass to vote against Trump. See what happened in Wisconsin recently. 

• Like 1

So this happened:

To obtain a search warrant, federal agents and prosecutors must persuade a judge they have probable cause to believe a crime has been committed. The law enforcement official said the Justice Department is examining Burr’s communications with his broker.

Such a warrant being served on a sitting U.S. senator would require approval from the highest ranks of the Justice Department and is a step that would not be taken lightly. Kerri Kupec, a Justice Department spokeswoman, declined to comment.

Back in the day, NC was known as a state that did not tolerate corruption from its elected officials. I wonder what happened?

Seems like the donald must have nodded to allow this to happen, but it sure does seem like Burr has an awful lot of dirt on trump to spill.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kermit said:

So this happened:

Back in the day, NC was known as a state that did not tolerate corruption from its elected officials. I wonder what happened?

Seems like the donald must have nodded to allow this to happen, but it sure does seem like Burr has an awful lot of dirt on trump to spill.

If Loeffler gets a subpoena, I'll may start to believe this isn't just a political witch hunt against a Republican politician who didn't toe the Trump/Barr/McConnell corrupt axis of evil party line. On the surface this looks like nothing more than a targeted silencing of the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and gives Mitch McConnell the political cover to replace Burr with  a senator more friendly to the President. There is  another volume of information regarding the Senate's findings on interference in the 2016 election.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, davidclt said:

If Loeffler gets a subpoena, I'll may start to believe this isn't just a political witch hunt against a Republican politician who didn't toe the Trump/Barr/McConnell corrupt axis of evil party line. On the surface this looks like nothing more than a targeted silencing of the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and gives Mitch McConnell the political cover to replace Burr with  a senator more friendly to the President. There is  another volume of information regarding the Senate's findings on interference in the 2016 election.

Try not to wade in here often but I did see Joe Bruno tweeted that Roy Cooper would be provided a list of 3 replacement options within the same party and he'd decide who fills Burr's chair.

Here's the thread responding to the LA Times article

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, davidclt said:

just a political witch hunt against a Republican politician who didn't toe the Trump/Barr/McConnell corrupt axis of evil party line.

It's not really a witch hunt if Burr actually did what he's accused of. And everything points to the fact that he did indeed do something at best extraordinarily immoral, if not outright illegal.

But semantics aside, your larger point appears to be true. The targeted nature of this seems to indicate a continued purge of any Republicans who aren't wholly committed to the cult. Not that a Burr resignation would be a huge loss. The fact that Cooper gets to sign off on the successor probably means they can't be too much worse than Burr. The only downside is that they'd get two years and the benefit of incumbency before the next election.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TCLT said:

The fact that Cooper gets to sign off on the successor probably means they can't be too much worse than Burr. The only downside is that they'd get two years and the benefit of incumbency before the next election.

Probably not a politically wise move, since there is less to be gained from it, but it sure would be satisfying if Cooper pulled a McConnell and simply refused to appoint anyone the NCGOP suggested (“the people should choose”). I believe the choice of Burr’s replacement would have been Cooper’s alone before the yall’qaeda changed the rules in their temper-tantrum following his election.

Merrick Garland says hi.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TCLT said:

It's not really a witch hunt if Burr actually did what he's accused of. And everything points to the fact that he did indeed do something at best extraordinarily immoral, if not outright illegal.

But semantics aside, your larger point appears to be true. The targeted nature of this seems to indicate a continued purge of any Republicans who aren't wholly committed to the cult. Not that a Burr resignation would be a huge loss. The fact that Cooper gets to sign off on the successor probably means they can't be too much worse than Burr. The only downside is that they'd get two years and the benefit of incumbency before the next election.

Yeah, sorry to give the impression that it was a witch hunt. I should have said it was retaliation against a senator for not toeing the party line. If they bring charges against Loeffler, then maybe I'd think it was more than blatant retaliation. That said, no lawyer would allow me to sit on a jury of either of these Senators because I believe both (many) are grifting off of information they receive in the course of their service in the US Senate.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0837c100385751bc15c6f809aa5e8c0.jpeg

Of course this President has the attention span of a slug, but Charlotte was really the only city that bid for this convention and it was spearheaded by Mayor Vi Lyles.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/07/gop-awards-2020-convention-to-charlotte-the-only-bidder.html

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

There is some speculation that Trump might be creating this brouhaha with Cooper just as an excuse (and with a person he can blame) to move the convention to one of his resort properties so he can rake in a lot of cash for himself.  But what is certain is that he craves applause from big crowds, even if it's at the expense of other people's lives.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, JacksonH said:

There is some speculation that Trump might be creating this brouhaha with Cooper just as an excuse (and with a person he can blame) to move the convention to one of his resort properties so he can rake in a lot of cash for himself.  But what is certain is that he craves applause from big crowds, even if it's at the expense of other people's lives.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That's what I think he's trying to do, get it moved to Doral to make up for not having the G8 or whatever it was. I don't think he'll be successful, but I definitely think that's his intention.

• Like 1

He must be going stir crazy missing his rallies full of raving lunatics. No crowds of chanting cultists to stroke his ego. Just the horrible reality of covid-19 existing and his lies and decisions having actual consequences.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t mind the RNC being here, God knows we could visit the economic injection from it, but I do not want a full convention here. By all means have the RNC here but, to have so many people flooding in, I have my concerns. 

As for this whole Trump debacle, are we really surprised?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...