New Orlando Flag

popsiclebrandon

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, WAJAS98 said:

This flag won the most votes in the contest with the Swan one as the immediate runner-up.  The committee can modify or pick any of the four runner-ups as a final suggestion that will go to the City Council.

os-1492608439-jspskmjuhr-snap-image.jpg?

christ...this or swan? what were the other two runner -ups?

at least have them lie and say someone else won...the city fountain logo split in half white and blue is not bad and it kinda looks like this.

2 hours ago, Pete C said:

I would take any of the 3 runner ups over the one that won the vote. My favorite was the one that came in 3rd in votes:

FinalFlagsC556.jpg

I guess we will see what happens now with the re-designs of the final four.

My only problem with this is it is perceived symbolism where none significant really exist.

Actually, the symbolism did exist.  O for Orlando, curvy lines for lakes and waterways, straight line representing horizon separating city and the sky, and the six stars represent the Six Districts that are represented in the City Council.

I thought this was the best design as well.  Maybe the line stroke could have been thicker, but it is by far the cleanest. 

I get some of it makes sense, but none of it is significant other than the 6 districts.

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

straight line representing horizon separating city and the sky

This seems very simple.  A flag with this could represent 'anycity, USA.'

The number of districts isn't significant either. I doubt literally any citizen in Orlando thinks "I live in Orlando for the six arbitrary political subdivisions". How horribly unexciting.

How about space ships? How many cities in the United States have SPACE SHIPS blasting into the sky one or more times a month? Wish we embraced that more. It's probably the single coolest thing about the region.

48 minutes ago, castorvx said:

The number of districts isn't significant either. I doubt literally any citizen in Orlando thinks "I live in Orlando for the six arbitrary political subdivisions". How horribly unexciting.

How about space ships? How many cities in the United States have SPACE SHIPS blasting into the sky one or more times a month? Wish we embraced that more. It's probably the single coolest thing about the region.

No space ships launch from within the city limits or Orlando.

7 hours ago, castorvx said:

I have long been interested by how little interest there is in the Space Coast on these boards and the fact that having one of the few spaceports in the world nearby makes us quite unique. Pre-Disney, it was not unusual for Orlando folks to commute to jobs at KSC, and UCF was originally sold as the "space university." It's something we really should embrace.

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I have long been interested by how little interest there is in the Space Coast on these boards and the fact that having one of the few spaceports in the world nearby makes us quite unique. Pre-Disney, it was not unusual for Orlando folks to commute to jobs at KSC, and UCF was originally sold as the "space university." It's something we really should embrace.

I am from the Space Coast. Grew up there in the 60's and 70's prior to moving to Orlando in the early 80's. I remember there was some minor discussion of the area here on UP a few years ago re: the topic of best local beaches, but the general consensus amongst those who were posting here back then was that the Central Brevard beach communities and the beaches themselves, were sub-par.

And when you think about it, our other major beach towns like Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach don't get much discussion either.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I am from the Space Coast. Grew up there in the 60's and 70's prior to moving to Orlando in the early 80's. I remember there was some minor discussion of the area here on UP a few years ago re: the topic of best local beaches, but the general consensus amongst those who were posting here back then was that the Central Brevard beach communities and the beaches themselves, were sub-par.

And when you think about it, our other major beach towns like Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach don't get much discussion either.

We'll probably need to take this up in another thread, but if you think about it, Brevard gives us huge infrastructure as a region with KSC, CCAFS and Port Canaveral. It really does put us up with the big boys so it's odd we exclude it. Also, Martin did work with the space program and military over there almost from the beginning. Our tech industries like simulation and optics grew from that. And long before there was Waterford Lakes, there was Rocket City! It bears fleshing out, perhaps in the Coffee House. I'd also like to discuss Volusia vs. Brevard (our beach was always NSB and of course the Daytona International Speedway/NASCAR is another huge piece of the infrastructure.)

17 hours ago, WAJAS98 said:

I get some of it makes sense, but none of it is significant other than the 6 districts.

This seems very simple.  A flag with this could represent 'anycity, USA.'

True, it's just a cool looking design, but not necessarily unique to Orlando. The problem is that we don't have a whole lot of iconic things to pull inspiration from. You are left with the fountain and mouse ears as symbols that you could hold up and someone might say "Orlando" as the response.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You're right.  Here's my new flag idea. Flag!

3 hours ago, alex said:

I think it's a crime that UCF ever got rid of the Citronaut. I like the Pegasus/Greek mythology theme of the campus, but they lost me with the knights. Medieval Times? 

Agreed. The Citronaut was something entirely original to Central Florida/Space Coast. He was a comical but lovable mascot. I'm a UCF alumnus and as much as I like Knightro, the theme of knights is not relative to Florida and there are other colleges/universities that have a knight mascot/logo. It would have been interesting if UCF had gone with a conquistador mascot, that would have had a lot more historical relevance and for the laughs would give the 55 West a whole new meaning.

Archived