Villa Heights Projects

emansius

6 hours ago, MothBeast said:

So you refer to NoDa as North Charlotte then? Never mind, this is endless.

I would also say that NoDa has made a name for itself and has thus established itself in history. Optimist Park has had no such opportunity, other than being one of Jimmy Carter's legacies with his extensive work with Habitat for Humanity

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CLT Development said:

No I addressed your point head-on, you said my info was from, "google?"

Personally, I'm trying to preserve the name of a couple of neighborhoods that are significant to Charlotte's history. "Belmont-Villa Heights-Optimist Park area has become the city's most important early working-class residential district. Its streets of humble homes are a reminder of the thousands of laborers who helped build up Charlotte to be the largest city in the Carolinas by 1930." as Tom Hanchett said.

There is a deep history in these areas and the establishment of Optimist Park and the large-scale investment by Jimmy Carter and Habitat for Humanity brought housing low-cost housing for many Black families, in a neighborhood that was largely segregated for much of its existence. The whole reason The Mill District name has not been able to take off is there is still so much to reconcile because the mill villages we celebrate were exclusively white-only largely until the closing of those mills. 

You are arguing with yourself.

“neighborhoodlines are arbitrary and in no way definitive”

”LOL,  disagree all you want but thats literally the neighborhood lines.”

Pick one. 

And you absolutely added a whole second paragraph to the quoted post,  I’m sure a mod could confirm though. 

38 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I would also say that NoDa has made a name for itself and has thus established itself in history. Optimist Park has had no such opportunity, other than being one of Jimmy Carter's legacies with his extensive work with Habitat for Humanity

So any new conceptions of neighborhoods going forward must be squashed in the name of history then? Optimist Park is just getting started, I’m not sure how you can so firmly follow the convention of new neighborhood names/boundaries already established by NoDa and South End and refuse to believe that another instance could occur. 

Edited by MothBeast

35 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

And you absolutely added a whole second paragraph to the quoted post,  I’m sure a mod could confirm though. 

I most certainly did not add a whole paragraph in response after you posted. I posted and said to myself"let me add a few things,  grabbed a quote, spent time reading, and then added to make sure I was giving completely factual information. I'm not here, waiting with bated breath to see your compelling addition to the conversation MothBeast. I'm a busy person, and I multitask and will come back and edit posts when I have time (like 30 seconds later) that did not include refreshing to see if you responded.

"So any new conceptions of neighborhoods going forward must be squashed in the name of history then? Optimist Park is just getting started, I’m not sure how you can so firmly follow the convention of new neighborhood names/boundaries already established by NoDa and South End and refuse to believe that another instance could occur. "

No, I never said that. I just said what an actual neighborhood name was, stated its boundaries that are accepted by the city we live in, and gave the reasoning why I am passionate about that naming convention. I stated that Optimist Park has a name, with defined boundaries as given to it in the 1980s. NoDa, also has defined boundaries as made in the neighborhood charter by the NoDa NBA, a board to which I sit. If you would like Villa Heights to change its boundaries take it up with Steve Sanders and VHCO and have them amend the establishing documents of their organization.

From their community website.

Villa Heights is a diverse community located 1 mile from Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. We are nestled between NoDa, Belmont, Optimist Park, and Plaza Midwood, with our boundaries being Parkwood Avenue, N. Davidson Street, Matheson Avenue, and The Plaza.

Villa Heights connects to the Little Sugar Creek Greenway and the Cross Charlotte Trail. This greenway runs through our beautiful Cordelia Park and connects to other neighborhoods in the area. The greenway is a great way to get around and see our area.

"You are arguing with yourself.

“neighborhoodlines are arbitrary and in no way definitive”

”LOL,  disagree all you want but thats literally the neighborhood lines.”

Pick one. "

I tried to defuse this asinine conversation by taking the high road and saying "you know what you can consider it what ever you will. I doesn't really change my life at all." but hey you doubled down, so I'm back.

This site is miserable sometimes.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...