South Blvd area -- South of Woodlawn (SoLoSo)

kermit

On 6/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, kermit said:

This may be under our radar (or I may have missed it). Office building going up at Old Pineville and Griffith. Easily walkable to Tyvola station.

I would be very pleased to see portions of station adjacent Old Pineville be transformed into boutique office, much like we are seeing on Brevard. We have been waiting a LONGGGGG time for this type of development down here.

Are you using a 2004 version of Google Maps? BELL SOUTH? :tw_lol:

image.png.491bfeb00182f45297f105579e05968e.png.2d4847690480340f8a635b44804b9f5b.png

(Kidding aside, it's still the official name of our phone company, d/b/a AT&T Southeast) I didn't realize the phone exchange buildings were still listed like that.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, norm21499 said:

I am a little concerned that the street layout for the apartments has dead ends that don't connect to the surrounding roads.....

Specifically the fact that South Line Dr doesn't intersect with Woodlawn, that seems like a no-brainer. I wonder if the city is at least putting in an easement to connect it in the future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Specifically the fact that South Line Dr doesn't intersect with Woodlawn, that seems like a no-brainer. I wonder if the city is at least putting in an easement to connect it in the future.

Would help slow traffic down for sure to have at least a connection point.

I hate dead ends and cul-de-sacs as much as the next urban enthusiast, but...there are two connections to Woodlawn for this (fairly small) development, which seem totally adequate, to me: Nations Crossing on the west side, and Chastain on the east. Nations Crossing has a stop light and will provide good north and west egress from the micro-hood, and Chastain allows easy egress to the east, while also leading south to Springbrook, which connects to Old Pineville. I actually think this is designed pretty well, because Woodlawn is a thoroughfare, like it or not, and this is right by the 77 interchange, where traffic volumes are going to be at the heaviest, and multiple entrances to a small neighborhood in such an area will create big congestion issues. IMO. I'm all for smarter, multi-modal traffic design, but I think unmitigated congestion is everyone's enemy.

Duke Power owns basically all the land to the south, where there's a big sub-station, but I would hope that if there's any possible way in the future to connect Nations Crossing to another street, so that it doesn't dead end, they will. In the meanwhile, Nations Crossing south of Woodlawn is basically an exclusive, stop lighted road for the development that they only have to share with a roofing supply company.    

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
10 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Who TF thought to do this? This is not Lower South Ends!

don't blame the messenger.  I saw it on twitter and Brad Panovich tweeted a photo and it was the old 76 gas station.   Not sure who paid for it.   For whomever was confused look at google maps streetview at Woodlawn and 77 in front of the hotel there and you will see the old 76 sign that now says LoSo. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

When a sign advertises something that isn’t actually offered at the location of the sign, does that then make it a billboard?

Confused by this sign.  Even if this location was actual LOSO, what’s being achieved advertising in this way?  We want highway travelers to know they’re in LOSO?

Edited by RANYC

The naming is besides the point. Honestly I could careless how it’s named. I feel the “ridiculousness” responses are an unnecessary reaction to the sign and naming. LoSo is just an acronym for Lower South End. And yes, There is a point where it can get cumbersome and at that point it isn’t useful anymore. Not at that point yet.

“LoSo” isn’t far from the sign though I’ll say that so it’s not too out of place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1