Lake Eola Neighbourhood.

idroveazamboni

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I sure hope those colors aren’t the end product.

I sure don’t see this as anything I’d call an improvement. It’s about as tasteful as one of the dozens of Murphy duplexes built around the Downtown neighborhoods as they were dying in the ‘70’s. I’ve seen better looking strip centers.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I think it is a pretty nice infill project on a lot that is too large for a single house and too small for something grander. Not particularly what I would have liked to see, but significantly better than what was there.

I prefer what was there before.  This seems really oddly scaled.

• Like 3

Wow, this is pretty hideous.

At first I thought this wasn't even The Olive, but now I realize this is the odd little extra bit on Central discontiguous from the rest. I don't think we ever saw a rendering for this portion of the building, did we?  I think they went out of their way not to include a rendering of this in any of their promotional materials...

This may not matter, but remember this is the back of the unit. The front side, meaning the side you would receive guest from,  is on Pine.

Kinda reminds me of girls I'd date in the '80s that had this elaborate, poofy hair in the front and the back looked like they slept on in.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AmIReal said:

This may not matter, but remember this is the back of the unit. The front side, meaning the side you would receive guest from,  is on Pine.

Kinda reminds me of girls I'd date in the '80s that had this elaborate, poofy hair in the front and the back looked like they slept on in.

These two units, while a part of the development, were always intended to front Central and had a different design. This is a rendering floating around but I can’t find it now. It was more craftsman in nature if I recall, and blue/white I think.

12 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Wow, this is pretty hideous.

At first I thought this wasn't even The Olive, but now I realize this is the odd little extra bit on Central discontiguous from the rest. I don't think we ever saw a rendering for this portion of the building, did we?  I think they went out of their way not to include a rendering of this in any of their promotional materials...

Put a better looking paint job on the 2nd and 3rd floors than that nauseating regurgitation green and bingo, Bob's your uncle.

35 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

These two units, while a part of the development, were always intended to front Central and had a different design. This is a rendering floating around but I can’t find it now. It was more craftsman in nature if I recall, and blue/white I think.

You're right. Per the floorplan on their website... https://theoliveth.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Olive-townhouse-central-units-0919.pdf

I couldn't find exterior pics.

I’m not sure even really big trees could make that less homely. I’ll have to just cover my eyes when I walk past there now. 

And to think I used to sit on the patio at CityFish and bask in the view. I sure won’t do that any more.

It’s a shame you can’t sue a developer for terminal ugly...

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m not sure even really big trees could make that less homely. I’ll have to just cover my eyes when I walk past there now. 

And to think I used to sit on the patio at CityFish and bask in the view. I sure won’t do that any more.

It’s a shame you can’t sue a developer for terminal ugly...

When I was in college in a Boston, a developer but a hotel in Kenmore Square that was so ugly and center stage that the city did force them to redo the facade.  I would Orlando can do the same if approved plans aren’t followed but we’ve never seen them do that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

When I was in college in a Boston, a developer but a hotel in Kenmore Square that was so ugly and center stage that the city did force them to redo the facade.  I would Orlando can do the same if approved plans aren’t followed but we’ve never seen them do that.

They could but it would require a different mayor. I cannot remember one time in 17 years the incumbent has challenged the development community. 

That also reminds me: I spoke in a different thread about the tug-of-war over parking between Mayor Bill and OC Commission Chairman Lou Treadway.

Such back and forth use to be a regular feature of life in those days (not so much with the county -that was an interest of Lou’s and it tied into a gas tax being debated). There were regular discussions about what Orlando should look like and a lot of input.

Instead, this administration simply sends out a survey, picks one or two items that can be easily done and nothing ever changes.

That’s yet another reason we’ve built lots of nondescript apartment towers but haven’t really made progress on making downtown more livable for the new arrivals.

One day, we’ll do better.