Suburban Projects

GRLaker

Then there's the Lakes Mall in Muskegon...already a lot of vacancies and lots of local type store (second hand, comics, vape shops).  That Younkers was supposed to stay but with that, Sears and JCP as the anchors  it could get worse really quickly.  Not even 20 years after it was brand new and took a bunch of stores out of Muskegon and into Norton Shores/Fruitport.

34 minutes ago, jthrasher said:

I have been thinking the same thing.  I was there a few weeks ago, first time in a long time and the end of the mall where Macy's and Old Navy are was completely dead.  There was a drastic difference between that end and the other end where Yonkers/ Dicks is.   Years ago when I worked at Pottery Barn, when it was still there, it was kinda the same way though.  That end of the Mall has always seemed less busy.  I wouldn't be surprised to see major troubles at Rivertown in the next 3-5 years. 

Well when Sleeping Tiger, Oriental Imports (or whatever it's called), FYE, and the Shoe Dept. are the stores in that area, it's not surprising to see low traffic in that area. Plus there are two empty storefronts down there on the upper level and four on the lower level. Rivertown struggles to get retail stores that people actually want to go to, where as Woodland doesn't seem to have that problem at all anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Well when Sleeping Tiger, Oriental Imports (or whatever it's called), FYE, and the Shoe Dept. are the stores in that area, it's not surprising to see low traffic in that area. Plus there are two empty storefronts down there on the upper level and four on the lower level. Rivertown struggles to get retail stores that people actually want to go to, where as Woodland doesn't seem to have that problem at all anymore.

I work across the street from the Rivertown Mall, stopped in once in the last year on my lunch break and immediately regretted it. Kind of has a depressing feel to it.

On 4/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, Sparty97 said:

RE: Knapp's corner - That makes a few empty restaurants on that corner with Bagger Dave's and Menchie's closing recently.   I'll be curious to see if Potbelly and Freshii make it much longer.  They never seem busy when I am over there.  

Is the "Building D", where Bar Louie is slated to go, being built right now?  Can't tell what all is being constructed over there...

I was thinking about this the other day while stuck in that traffic crunch on the East Beltline yesterday. Here's the restaurant lineup and just "places where you can eat" for that 2 - 3 mile stretch of road:

Gravity 

Gus's - don't know how that place stays open with no liquor license

Red Hot Inn - an institution not going anywhere

Priority Health has a large cafe/cafeteria for employees

Fuji Yama 

Twisted Rooster 

Kitchen 67 

Applebees 

Zesty Gyros

El Burrito Loco 

Thai Chef

Wendy's

Golden Wok

Meijer food court (suprisingly busy a lot)

Licari's (at Celadon)

Panera

Buffalo Wild Wings

Ming Ten

Firehouse Subs

IHOP

The Melting Pot

Herb and Fire Pizzeria

Oscar's (in Celebration Cinema)

Jimmy Johns

Shescho

Chilis - closed

Hopcat - coming soon

Subway

Qdoba

Jaku North

Noodles & Co

Pieology

Potbelly

Freshi - closed

D&W cafe

PF Changs

Bravo 

Bar Louie - coming soon

Bagger Dave's - closed

Brandywine

Robinette's

Probably more restaurants per capita in that Northeast area than anywhere else in the entire metro area. 

The Chili's on 28th near Patterson also closed, leaving 54th & Clyde Park as the only remaining location in the area.

And in hotel news, something is being built behind the AMC/Star on Alpine - to be specific, it's on the lot surrounded by Holiday Inn Express, SpringHill Suites, and the former University of Phoenix. I didn't see any signage identifying the brand. We've talked before about how almost no new hotels are being built in the northern suburbs despite the explosion to the south (and downtown).

Edited by getemngo

16 hours ago, Sparty97 said:

That is actually a huge get for GR. Outside of California and the New York/Philly/DC region there are only a handful. In the Midwest, Chicago has 3 and Cleveland has 1.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

That is actually a huge get for GR. Outside of California and the New York/Philly/DC region there are only a handful. In the Midwest, Chicago has 3 and Cleveland has 1.

Cool.  I know the couple who are bringing the franchise here.  Really great people - I hope it does really well for them!

• Like 3

On 5/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, thebeerqueer said:

So what happens if Rivertown closes? It’s a lot bigger than Rogers Plaza was in Wyoming. Is it a win for Woodland or will we see something new pop up maybe near Tanger?

22 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Anyone know what brand the hotel is being built by the Cascade Meijer? They're packing a lot of hotels into that area. 

I know that Pel Construction was building a replacement Holiday Inn Express just to the north the current Holiday Inn Express, and Pel was building a TownePlace Suites by Marriott just to the west of the Meijer.  Not sure if there was any other activity.  Did anyone pick up the old Macaroni Grill? 

I think it's a bit premature to start speaking the demise of Rivertown.  One Anchor is closing (a redundant one at that),  I'm honestly surprised it took even that long for Younkers to close.  It's not as if the mall is at 50% occupancy.  The best thing that could happen to Rivertown would be for GGP to stop using it as a cash cow and sell it.   It's clear that GGP is going the way of  Sears and has stopped investing in its properties.   If any buyer came along and invested just a little bit in that mall this conversation would be very different. 

16 hours ago, WMrapids said:

So what happens if Rivertown closes? It’s a lot bigger than Rogers Plaza was in Wyoming. Is it a win for Woodland or will we see something new pop up maybe near Tanger?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, WMrapids said:

This is the second article in the last several months from MiBiz that talks about concerns at Rivertown Crossings.   I know that they just spent some $$$ to freshen things up a bit.  I suppose if Younkers, JC Penning and Sears, and even Macy's closed it could be a problem, but JC Penny and Macy's are also at Woodland. 

8-adc-architecture-design-collaborative-retail-mall-renovation-rivertown-crossings-grandville-mi.jpg

9-adc-architecture-design-collaborative-retail-mall-renovation-rivertown-crossings-grandville-mi.jpg

0-adc-architecture-design-collaborative-retail-mall-renovation-rivertown-crossings-grandville-mi.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I think Tivertown would be fine if it lost an anchor. I could see the potential for getting creative. 2 tenants, one up, one down. Or they could split it even more with a restaurant or two on the bottom floor, plus a tenant, etc. I think entertainment could be a big reuse as well (a Dave and Busters/ Lucky strike type operation). 

They may need to get creative (like Woodland has been doing), but it’s a well maintained property in a high growth area (plus we live in the Midwest, and the weather stinks many months out of the year). 

Joe

12 hours ago, MJLO said:

I think it's a bit premature to start speaking the demise of Rivertown.  One Anchor is closing (a redundant one at that),  I'm honestly surprised it took even that long for Younkers to close.  It's not as if the mall is at 50% occupancy.  The best thing that could happen to Rivertown would be for GGP to stop using it as a cash cow and sell it.   It's clear that GGP is going the way of  Sears and has stopped investing in its properties.   If any buyer came along and invested just a little bit in that mall this conversation would be very different. 

GGP IS selling Rivertown. They announced it about a month ago. 

Joe

Does the Right Place get involved much in retail? I would imagine that it would be in the best interest of the Grand Rapids Metro Area for Rivertown to be successful. To have a large two story mall sit empty would be an eyesore and a roadblock for further growth around it.  I would think they would want to dedicate some resources to work with GGP/Brookfield to get new and large tenants to fill these spaces.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, mpchicago said:

I know that Pel Construction was building a replacement Holiday Inn Express just to the north the current Holiday Inn Express, and Pel was building a TownePlace Suites by Marriott just to the west of the Meijer.  Not sure if there was any other activity.  Did anyone pick up the old Macaroni Grill? 

It's gotta be a TownePlace Suites, looks like the one being built in Wyoming.  It is just to the West of Meijer. Haven't seen any activity at Macaroni Grill yet. 

-41ce8d0fd43b20a0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...