Austin & Austin Metro Projects Compilation

The ATX

These are renderings of the 15-story apartment building going up on the site of the abandoned shopping center fenced off for demo a few posts up.  It's better than an abandoned shopping center, but it's still nothing special.  NIMBYs and their City Council allies killed the original proposal which was two slightly taller towers with a full service ground floor grocery store.  It also was going to have ~300 affordable units, but NIMBYs only use the lack of affordable units as an argument against a project when there are no affordable units.  Since that wasn't the case this time, they went with the usual complaints about traffic. 

jpw1wn0.png

1yQ9I1S.png

RkLD1Ls.png

zweKU7c.png

GDA Architects

On 11/16/2018 at 9:37 PM, The ATX said:

These are renderings of the 15-story apartment building going up on the site of the abandoned shopping center fenced off for demo a few posts up.  It's better than an abandoned shopping center, but it's still nothing special.  NIMBYs and their City Council allies killed the original proposal which was two slightly taller towers with a full service ground floor grocery store.  It also was going to have ~300 affordable units, but NIMBYs only use the lack of affordable units as an argument against a project when there are no affordable units.  Since that wasn't the case this time, they went with the usual complaints about traffic. 

jpw1wn0.png

1yQ9I1S.png

RkLD1Ls.png

zweKU7c.png

GDA Architects

The original buildings proposed (and NIMBY-ied) I felt were better looking also. But I guess this one will create something of a mirror with the proposed tower on the opposite side of I-35.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

These first two are the sites of the 1601 Congress and 1801 Congress State office buildings at the downtown Capitol Complex.

1601 Congress.  Site Prep starting soon.

wt1XvkD.png

1801 Congress.

YVwvuON.png

Webcam

This is the Phase I expansion of the North Austin State Office Complex.  Only one of three tower cranes is up.

EbK4CP2.png

kzbyVax.png

Texas Facilities Commission

In the last two days we have gotten final approval for a $338 million Basketball/Special Events Arena and a $225 million MLS stadium.

Here's a re-post of the MLS stadium that is planned to be ready for the 2021 MLS season.  It's in North Austin by the Domain.  The Domain area should be referred to as Uptown.  But that hasn't caught on yet outside of Urban planet.  :)

llHtrwV.png

VtJHJip.png

Statesman

Here's the University of Texas Basketball arena that will also serve as the city's main special events/concert arena.  It's smaller than the arena (Frank Erwin Center, aka Drum) that it's replacing.  The Drum had seating for 18K for concerts while the new facility will seat 15K for concerts and 10K for basketball.  It's located on the U.T. campus and will literally bump up against I-35.  It's half underground like the Drum due to height limiting Capitol View Corridors.  The reason for the new arena is due to the Drum being demo'ed for the next expansion phase of the University of Texas Dell Medical Center.  The Drum can be seen at the left edge of the rendering.

Du40NyPUwAADNzF.jpg

Here's the site.  It's currently a surface lot and a road.  The road will apparently be re-routed.  The 100K+capacity DKR football stadium is just out of view to the right.

iGqVlp2.png

Statesman

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updates on State office projects.

1801 Congress excavation may have hit bottom.

V0E4cu3.png

Link

Site prep (at least tree removal and a wall knock down) has started at 1601 Congress.

CSZzmbf.png

Link

Still waiting for the other two tower cranes to go up for Phase I expansion of the State's North Austin Complex. 

aXte4eR.png

Link

This hulking parking structure is set for an implosion this Sunday morning.  It will make way for another one of the many 17/18-story student apartment buildings going up in West Campus.

5mbe4kZ.png

Right across the street from this are the 11-story University Towers which were approved for demo in November.  According to the demo site plan, this demo won't be an implosion.

WJ0AhdI.png

The implosion in the video was for the Standard at Austin.  We now have elevations for the project that is replacing the 11-story story University Towers across the street from the implosion site.  It's the Standard at Austin II.
The zoning in the West Campus limits the height to 17/18-stories.  In addition to all of the 17/18-story projects recently built, there are around 10 more planned or U/C.

t95Nbve.png

ZBtBAG9.png
4JepgWa.png
8yDzTJP.png

Link

• 3 weeks later...