Grand Rapids Restaurant Rumor Mill

dbrok

• 3 weeks later...

They announced the new golf simulator bar that is going in the old Davenport building on Ottawa:

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/2-story-restaurant-bar-with-golf-simulators-planned-in-downtown-grand-rapids/

between gold simulators and pickleball pubs, we’re going to have our fill of sports & beer places. They’re popping up everywhere. Is this the new FroYo craze (one on every corner)? 🤣

34 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

They announced the new golf simulator bar that is going in the old Davenport building on Ottawa:

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/2-story-restaurant-bar-with-golf-simulators-planned-in-downtown-grand-rapids/

between gold simulators and pickleball pubs, we’re going to have our fill of sports & beer places. They’re popping up everywhere. Is this the new FroYo craze (one on every corner)? 🤣

Don't forget the bocce place ;)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Kinda disappointed that they don’t tear that building down (I don’t believe it’s historic) and develop that whole parking lot. It’s sizable enough to support something pretty big. 

16 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

The building GRBC is in just caught fire. Saw flames coming out the roof.

Scary stuff. Here's a piece from Fox17.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/smoke-and-flames-visible-as-fire-breaks-out-on-top-of-gr-brewing-company-building

Just looking at the picture in the piece, it was in the vent in the rear of the building and traveled up through that to the roof.

GR Brewing.jpeg

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Zads said:

https://www.fox17online.com/news/local-news/grand-rapids/smoke-and-flames-visible-as-fire-breaks-out-on-top-of-gr-brewing-company-building

Just looking at the picture in the piece, it was in the vent in the rear of the building and traveled up through that to the roof.

GR Brewing.jpeg

I work a few blocks away and could smell it in our building.  Was wondering what was on fire...

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2024 at 4:45 PM, Zads said:

GR Brewing.jpeg

GRBC is officially closed, permanently.

https://www.facebook.com/GRBrewingCo/posts/pfbid022GPeXK4vFGgA1XFCC6gdrbLDjueSkGDz9zWX6MKnUbo23CTa3hqv58vzvEBoqW94l

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Zads said:

I hope this means something really great will go into that spot. I've lived here for over 5 years and I've haven't once heard anyone mention their food or beer other than the fact they have been around forever. It's a fantastic location...

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 8:47 AM, RiversideGR said:

I hope this means something really great will go into that spot. I've lived here for over 5 years and I've haven't once heard anyone mention their food or beer other than the fact they have been around forever. It's a fantastic location...

The only thing that was actually old was the name: the 28th Street location had no connection (other than the name) to the original brewing company, and IIRC the downtown location didn’t have any connection to the 28th St location.

• Like 4

I've haven't once heard anyone mention their food or beer

For awhile they had excellent chicken wings.  Then they dialed them down due to complaints they were too spicy. 😒  Or at least that was the story I was told by a staff member.  Prior to the pandemic they had an good brunch menu. Other food and beer were OK.  Excellent location.  15 - 20 minutes until the bus home?  Grab a beer at GRBC.  Did that many times.

22 hours ago, Jonesey said:

place that tourists and visitors would go to

I also blamed the suburbanites for the "meh"ness;  but they need a place to go, and these days feel the Bob/Arena district is largely for them.  Cool, townies now have have alternatives aplenty.  I'm happy to see so many people come downtown and are parted from their dollars.

15 hours ago, organsnyder said:

the downtown location didn’t have any connection to the 28th St location

I was sad when the onion rings from the 28th St location did not reappear at the eponymous downtown location.

I hope this means something really great will go into that spot.

🤞 Hope so, build outs take so long these days.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see if the next tenant takes up the whole space, or if they split it in two. In the last few years it seemed like the back half was always dead, not well used. Maybe two smaller spaces instead of one big one (two different concepts would be nice as well. 

as someone said before, the location at Centerpointe had nothing to do with the downtown location. Mark Sellers bought the rights to the name. That’s the only connection. 

Joe

• Like 2

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

It will be interesting to see if the next tenant takes up the whole space, or if they split it in two. In the last few years it seemed like the back half was always dead, not well used. Maybe two smaller spaces instead of one big one (two different concepts would be nice as well. 

as someone said before, the location at Centerpointe had nothing to do with the downtown location. Mark Sellers bought the rights to the name. That’s the only connection. 

Joe

If I remember correctly, they used the recipes and names of their beers too. 

Reserve Wine and Food is closing in May, changing concepts and coming back again later in the year.

Side note: Crain's now is subscription based. Highly recommend getting a sub, they do great work.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/devos-owned-reserve-wine-and-food-to-close-for-renovations-ahead-of-new-concept

11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

House Rules on Ionia is expanding by 50 seats, adding a kitchen. I’ve heard it’s very hard to get in without reservations. Good for them!

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/house-rules-in-gr-expanding-with-more-seating-kitchen/

Been here multiple times, great location, lots of fun. Can't wait to see the new food menu and the expansion.

Edited by Zads
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zads said:

Reserve Wine and Food is closing in May, changing concepts and coming back again later in the year.

Considering the money they have backing this place, if there was ever a spot in Grand Rapids to try a bit of an "out there" concept, this would be it. I'm not saying it has to be crazy, but an interesting tasting menu, or just look to the trends in Chicago, NY, San Francisco, and try something we've never had in GR before. And it better not be a Tapas place...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, droonus2000 said:

My biggest concern is for the location of the open water painting form Artprize. I just love that painting. Only been inside to eat once, it was good, but not enough to add it to our goto places. 

If they decide not to keep it on display, I hope they gift it to ArtPrize or the GRAM. It's a cool painting with an interesting history.

• Like 1