Warner Building/Hyatt Place - Lyon and Ottawa/Pearl and Ottawa

mpchicago

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

It says the "architecture and massing will not be greatly affected by the program changes." 

So you take the residential portion and add the Hyatt Place point to it. Just my rough Paint job. 

Hyatt Place.jpg

So it will still look like a piece of value-engineered and cheap Orion crap.  Bummer.

Edited by x99

19 minutes ago, x99 said:

So it will still look like a piece of value-engineered and cheap Orion crap.  Bummer.

That is disappointing. Some of the stuff they've built in urban centers has actually looked relatively nice compared to the crap GR has been building lately. I was hoping they would stick by that and not just copy everything else going up around them.

4 hours ago, discgrab21 said:

Any chance the Hyatt Place at Byron Center and M6 rebrands with this development?

Is there anything signaling it would need to?  It's not uncommon for hotel brands to have multiple properties in the same market, especially at this size and certainly bigger.  Aside from that a hotel downtown doesn't particularly overlap the area the Wyoming location serves, so you're not really at risk for cannibalization.   Hyatt Place is more or less a Tier 2 brand that competes with Hilton Garden, Courtyard, ect.   It would not be the same as if a Hyatt flagship was going into that location, and the other hotel had the flagship,  that might garner a rebranding.

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It says the "architecture and massing will not be greatly affected by the program changes." 

So you take the residential portion and add the Hyatt Place point to it. Just my rough Paint job. 

Hyatt Place.jpg

Updated pic of hotel with the article- https://mibiz.com/item/24414-orion-trades-apartments-for-hotel-at-planned-downtown-grand-rapids-tower

6 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

Yup.  Looks like a giant steaming turd.  Go Orion!  Always proud to be a standard bearer for the urban version of trailerpark... :rolleyes:  But maybe I shouldn't complain so much.  I supposed they could always find a way to cover it in corrugated metal.

Edited by x99

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

The image from the above article:

IMG_3143.PNG

Here's a really poor screen grab from this article:

http://fox17online.com/2017/01/19/grand-rapids-rapid-growth-will-supply-meet-demand/

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

It has the Hyatt Place markings on the bottom behind him so are these other drawings?

The ones shown in the Fox17 article seem taller and lighter. Just something I noticed today.

4 hours ago, WMrapids said:

The image from the above article:

IMG_3143.PNG

Here's a really poor screen grab from this article:

http://fox17online.com/2017/01/19/grand-rapids-rapid-growth-will-supply-meet-demand/

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

It has the Hyatt Place markings on the bottom behind him so are these other drawings?

The ones shown in the Fox17 article seem taller and lighter. Just something I noticed today.

Well...damn. It basically looks the same, only it's set back and has a small triangle. Creative :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, GRLaker said:

That is disappointing. Some of the stuff they've built in urban centers has actually looked relatively nice compared to the crap GR has been building lately. I was hoping they would stick by that and not just copy everything else going up around them.

I don't think it looks that bad. It looks a lot like my sketch! :lol:

I do think it looks better actually, has some contour to the facade, a color that isn't grim reaper gray. 

47 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I do think it looks better actually, has some contour to the facade, a color that isn't grim reaper gray. 

It would be nice if we started having more colorful developments. Arena Place, that one apartment near Heartside and now this are really pushing the plain black and white look which is nice here and there but is starting to go too far. Maybe it will look better with the glass...

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It's definitely an improvement, namely the first floor and the fact that it's set back a bit above the first two floors. I was just hoping for more creativity. Some creativity with the triangle corner would have done the trick. Instead, they just plopped the triangle on top and called it good.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

It's definitely an improvement, namely the first floor and the fact that it's set back a bit above the first two floors. I was just hoping for more creativity. Some creativity with the triangle corner would have done the trick. Instead, they just plopped the triangle on top and called it good.

I do kind of like the setback too. It will open up views of the Trust Building a little better.

WOODTV8 had a rather funny headline that said something like "Developer axes mixed-use project and replaces with hotel." I see they've changed it now.

More images: 

32423158795_dd3e69ae15_o.jpg

32423158895_dda0e87755_o.jpg

32045132910_7ab1419e5b_b.jpg

32045132870_f45d0c8606_o.jpg

• Like 1

It honestly isnt all that bad.

I suppose a full hotel it will help a great deal in maybe putting some people on Calder Plaza more than usual since it will now be in-between the hotel and the convention center, as well as the Atwater Brewery and New Holland. I'd doubt people in apartments there would really spend as much time out in the town as visitors.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SupercityGR said:

Be nice if the 3rd story set back had a roof top bar

There does seem to be a door leading out to the roof. I wonder if it will just be a green space, or if they're opening it up for the possibility of something more. I would love to see it be a rooftop restaurant/bar. 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Based on the level of detail of the plans, they've been working on this change for a while. Plus to have Hyatt Place in place, that doesn't happen overnight. 

According to one new-story in which they interviewed Wheeler, they started talking with Hyatt 14 months ago. While I totally get the whole conversation about a market-rate bubble blah blah blah I don't think we can fully use this project as an example of that because if they started working with Hyatt 14 months ago that is WAY before this conversation of saturation began. Just something to muse on. 

7 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

According to one new-story in which they interviewed Wheeler, they started talking with Hyatt 14 months ago. While I totally get the whole conversation about a market-rate bubble blah blah blah I don't think we can fully use this project as an example of that because if they started working with Hyatt 14 months ago that is WAY before this conversation of saturation began. Just something to muse on. 

So you suspect that plan 1 was the hotel while the apartment was the backup option if a deal couldn't be reached with Hyatt. 

3 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So you suspect that plan 1 was the hotel while the apartment was the backup option if a deal couldn't be reached with Hyatt. 

No, I think they wanted to go with apartments originally, but also wanted to "back pocket" a hotel option.   Orion, I think, has more units under construction downtown/near downtown than anyone else, so with the apartment market supposedly softening a little, and some issues with getting brownfield funds for the apartments, they are running with their back up.   

I don't think the hotel rendering looks all that much different from the apartment rendering, and may look a little better at the base than the original.  Just glad there is no parking deck with awful screening along Ottawa!   

Depending on the finish materials, I think the hotel could end up looking really nice. It looks quite transparent and reminds me of the corner of glass on the Calder Plaza building. We all said it'd be great if that building was all glass, and, if not mistaken, this building may do just that.

Although it'll have a lot of closed curtains being a hotel and all. :)

Joe

On 1/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, GRLaker said:

There does seem to be a door leading out to the roof. I wonder if it will just be a green space, or if they're opening it up for the possibility of something more. I would love to see it be a rooftop restaurant/bar. 

Tournament rated lawn jarts pitch ;)

Edited by discgrab21

So with the addition of this proposal, we currently have 716 additional hotel rooms proposed for downtown:

AC Hotel - 132

Hyatt Place - 160

Embassy Suites - 284

Hinman Tower - 140

This would be an almost 50% increase of the existing downtown inventory of hotel rooms of 1,545:

Amway Grand - 682

JW Marriott - 336

Courtyard by Marriott - 214

Holiday Inn - 175

Homewood Suites - 110

City Flats Hotel - 28

I don't consider the Riverfront Hotel on Ann St or Hampton Inn on Michigan St downtown hotels due to the fact they are not within walking distance of anywhere downtown. 

Wonder if the downtown market is large enough to be able to absorb this large of an increase. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prankster said:

I don't consider the Riverfront Hotel on Ann St or Hampton Inn on Michigan St downtown hotels due to the fact they are not within walking distance of anywhere downtown. 

Wonder if the downtown market is large enough to be able to absorb this large of an increase. 

I would agree with the Ann St hotel, but I'd consider the Hampton borderline, you can get anywhere downtown within a reasonable walk from there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I would agree with the Ann St hotel, but I'd consider the Hampton borderline, you can get anywhere downtown within a reasonable walk from there.

:huh: Have you seen the average convention goer? They're not exactly 25 and sprightly. That Michigan St hill is a beast. Does that hotel run a shuttle bus? 

• Like 2