Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

And what really is their ultimate goal here?  Freeze the town exactly as is for forever more just so they don't have to deal with one more car on the road?  I just don't get it.  

You guys should know how this works by now. Every city, town, and neighborhood reaches its zenith of perfection to a given resident at the exact moment that resident moves into it. It's all downhill from there, ergo future development must be fought, by tooth and nail.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Neigeville2 said:

What kills me is that they will block, say 250 apartments on an arterial like Charlotte, but someone can build a sprawling auto-dependent subdivision a few miles out on the same road and not a peep from them, like it doesn't occur to them that those people are going to drive into town on their road.  Williamson County deliberately keeps itself unaffordable to half the people who work there and nary a thought to designing for pedestrians/transit and then wonders why there are so many cars on the road.  And these people only oppose the housing, but not the shopping and employment centers that people drive to.  

Nearly every larger-than-"decent"-sized U.S. city has some contiguous county or external incorporated district which constrains like that ─ Marin (Ca.), Montgomery (Md.), as examples.  They often have the connotation of become bastions of exclusivity and a governance founded on the perception of being "saddity" [colloquial], historically often from the Post-WW-II American pursuit of fulfillment with status and material wealth.

I'm not knocking that Williamson Co. has chosen to manipulate the ebbing and flooding of urban and ethnographic tides, as it were.  I'm not intending to typecast the majority of those of this audience and their families of Williamson Co.  My point is that it is increasingly difficult to be able to sustain a home within fairly close proximity to the job centers, throughout the nation.  When I think about it, Williamson Co. has become quite successful in bucking the gravity of urban reflux, typically beginning with the late 1970s period of condemning and a revival of interest in preservation and restoration within some of the oldest near-core urban neighborhoods.

Many thriving "Post-urban" communities are "Janus-faced", when it comes to alternative modes of mass mobility, except for those founded upon systems established and maintained through the ages.  When a majority of residents of a sub-region work within that region, they often are loath to vote for a referendum in favor of funding mass transit connecting outside its boundaries, even in consortium.  That's likely one reason that the City of Virginia Beach overwhelmingly failed to pass such a referendum, even though it was officially "non-binding" in that city council's continued deliberation on whether or not to  pursue other options for funding an extension of the relatively new light-rail system ("The Tide") in Norfolk, connecting to Town Center, within what is considered the CBD of Virginia Beach.  This would have been built along a continuation of an existing, nearly straight-line RR freight track abandoned a number of years ago.  If anyone here has had to commute between Va. Beach and Norfolk for any appreciable period, then she or he certainly can empathize with negotiating traffic in an overall water-locked region.  Va. Beach became consolidated with containing Princess Anne County in 1963, in much the same manner as the cities of Norfolk and the "new" city of Chesapeake also became independent that year from the remains of what once had been Lower Norfolk County.

Sounds just as familiar with Nashville and Davidson Co., although the names of the latter two remain officially associative as consolidated Metropolitan Govt. of Nashville and Davidson Co. which includes "pre-incorporated" communities as well.  Perhaps the exponential development and contiguous expansion of both Davidson and Williamson Counties has helped to highlight this discreet difference, if not disparity, between the two.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

What kills me is that they will block, say 250 apartments on an arterial like Charlotte, but someone can build a sprawling auto-dependent subdivision a few miles out on the same road and not a peep from them, like it doesn't occur to them that those people are going to drive into town on their road.

There are a couple fights going on in Williamson County now. The "Two Farms" development in Thompson Station (1500 homes and a golf course) and Stephens Valley along the Williamson/Davidson border in Pasquo (791 homes plus retail and a hotel). The Stephen's Valley opposition has a website even.  Traffic for both is a big concern as is preservation of farmland and view sheds from the Natchez Trace. 

As someone who has spoken both "for" and "against" developments in front of Metro Planning or the BZA, I can tell you that a fairly small minority is all it takes to raise a fight.  There's not really a monolithic anti-development movement in Nashville's urban neighborhoods.  Like so many things in a democracy, however, there are always people on both sides that have the right to be heard, and when it comes to development, density, and character of neighborhoods people get very passionate.

• Like 1

"Franklin's The Artessa luxury apartments sold for $57.5 million"

Out-of-state money continues to flow into Middle Tennessee. Security Properties, a Seattle-based real estate company, has purchased the 250-unit Artessa luxury apartments in Cool Springs for $57.5 million. This acquisition is the company's third in metro Nashville this year.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/12/10/franklins-artessa-luxury-apartments-sold-575-million/95276846/

Artessa.jpg

"Franklin pursues a developer's dream: Faster vetting and taller buildings"

For many properties, the ultimate outcome could reduce "six months of a rezoning request to a six-week review cycle," city officials say.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/12/13/franklin-pursues-a-developers-dream-faster-vetting.html

20161018143727-750xx4032-2268-0-378.jpg

Edited by Canuck87
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^Soon...and as Davco keeps getting more expensive more people will move down to Rutherford and williamson (the cheap parts of Willco like fairview, not franklin lol).

And i have a question...Why does Nashville have like 8+ counties in the metro area, but out west in Memphis, it's only 1 county (shelby)?

Edited by Nashtitans

27 minutes ago, Nashtitans said:

^Soon...and as Davco keeps getting more expensive more people will move down to Rutherford and williamson (the cheap parts of Willco like fairview, not franklin lol).

And i have a question...Why does Nashville have like 8+ counties in the metro area, but out west in Memphis, it's only 1 county (shelby)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_metropolitan_area

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

I look around all of the growth happening in Williamson Co. and Rutherford and I just do not understand why the civic leaders of Sumner county are not doing more to attract similar business ventures into our county. I know much of the problem stems from the fact that there are those in power that would be very happy going back to just being a quiet little suburb of Nashville and not have to face the issues with all those "outsiders" moving into our area. Not very progressive minded.

I really wish Davidson, Williamson and Rutherford would work hand-in-hand to help solve some of the area's transportation issues.  Those three counties alone contain more than half of the metro's population and will continue to do so for generations...thus contributing the most to transportation issues.  A concerted effort for the future would go a long ways towards improving congestion and maybe helping those "suburbs" to think a little more urban in the future.

• Like 1

Sumner is the one core county (Davidson, Wilson, Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner) that isn't adding a ton of jobs.  Williamson obviously has a large corporate presence, Davidson has a very diversified market, Rutherford has a large manufacturing base, and Wilson is seeing a tremendous growth in logistics/supply chain/distribution. It seems like Sumner is largely a bedroom community.  If you look at median home prices you will also find that Sumner has lost ground to both Davidson and Wilson.  Sumner was previously the second most desirable (based on home prices) county in the MSA after Williamson.  Since 2010 both Wilson and Davidson have surpassed it by a decent clip. 

8 hours ago, Hey_Hey said:

Sumner is the one core county (Davidson, Wilson, Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner) that isn't adding a ton of jobs.  Williamson obviously has a large corporate presence, Davidson has a very diversified market, Rutherford has a large manufacturing base, and Wilson is seeing a tremendous growth in logistics/supply chain/distribution. It seems like Sumner is largely a bedroom community.  If you look at median home prices you will also find that Sumner has lost ground to both Davidson and Wilson.  Sumner was previously the second most desirable (based on home prices) county in the MSA after Williamson.  Since 2010 both Wilson and Davidson have surpassed it by a decent clip. 

Wouldn't you consider other counties in the metro like dickson, robertson, and maury part of the core?