The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

On 12/6/2023 at 7:12 PM, MidTenn1 said:

I would substitute Kingston Springs/Pegram for Bellevue. I don't know anything about the traffic generation numbers for such a facility, but I don't see any good, convenient location for a station in Bellevue. The tracks run through predominantly residential areas in Bellevue. There is a very nice stretch of tracks with a siding that runs adjacent to Highway 70 in Pegram the seemingly could be used for a station.  A portion of the very large and very nice park could be used for the station. Parking would have to be on the US 70 side of the tracks for easier access.

Kingston Springs and Pegram have nearly 5,000 population combined, and I have no doubt the potential passengers from Bellevue would make the short drive to Pegram without a fuss.

1742676800_PegramChooChoo.thumb.jpg.19c52770d7bc03d98e8b9c62d16c2af4.jpg

There is some space at the junction of Bellevue Rd and Old Harding Rd in Bellevue where you could put a small station-the ideal situation would be to relocate the small strip center across Old Harding and put a station there.

Or better yet find a way to incorporate the strip center into the station-best of both worlds.

Edited by bnacincy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, bnacincy said:

There is some space at the junction of Bellevue Rd and Old Harding Rd in Bellevue where you could put a small station-the ideal situation would be to relocate the small strip center across Old Harding and put a station there.

Or better yet find a way to incorporate the strip center into the station-best of both worlds.

Agreed. That would likely be the best Bellevue location. Alternatively, there's plenty of open space northwest where the rail crosses Sawyer Brown Rd. I think it would be a blunder to place a station in Pegram or Kingston Springs at the expense of one in Bellevue; it would be an exponential difference in ridership.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2023 at 9:30 PM, MidTenn1 said:

It looks like from Mark's maps, that the Nashville to Chattanooga line will follow the current CSX line starting at Cowan, TN. where it goes through a low point in the Cumberland Plateau where the peak elevation is about 1,350' as compared to 1,900' just north at Monteagle. However, the tracks go under the 1,350' high point ridge through a 2,000' long tunnel with a track elevation of about 1,100'. Cowan is roughly a thousand feet elevation so the grade up the plateau is not too steep. That's if CSX will cooperate.

Amtrak routes almost always run on existing freight railway routes (outside of the northeast corridor); they're required to share with Amtrak. The two studied routes (Atlanta to Nashville and Memphis to Nashville) would run most of their routes along CSX rails.

• Like 2

If CSX is required to share the rail with Amtrak in some places perhaps there should be a law enacted to require CSX and other freight carriers to share the rail with commuter trains.

I think a case could be made that one incoming and one outgoing train a day would not unreasonably impair CSX's ability to operate its business-particularly if sidings were built at the commuter stations where trains could load and unload without hindering any traffic on the mainline.

It certainly would begin to address a lot of traffic issues in Nashville.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bnacincy said:

If CSX is required to share the rail with Amtrak in some places perhaps there should be a law enacted to require CSX and other freight carriers to share the rail with commuter trains.

I think a case could be made that one incoming and one outgoing train a day would not unreasonably impair CSX's ability to operate its business-particularly if sidings were built at the commuter stations where trains could load and unload without hindering any traffic on the mainline.

Unfortunately, the laws protecting CSX are grandfathered into state law from all the way back in the 1800's, and they will NEVER give them up.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2023 at 12:37 AM, bnacincy said:

I can't imagine a plausible scenario where CSX would share trackage with a commuter rail for any real distance, especially if there are more than a few RTs each day. The timetable integration would be nearly impossible, and the inevitable delays caused by track sharing would render the commuter line unusable from a reliability standpoint.

For WeGo to ever work well they need to double track most (if not all) the system, electrify it, purchase more rolling stock, and update all stations with dual platforms. Ideally they would also move the downtown station somewhere to integrate with a wider network and increase the size of the terminal to accommodate multiple trains simultaneously.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I can't imagine a plausible scenario where CSX would share trackage with a commuter rail for any real distance, especially if there are more than a few RTs each day. The timetable integration would be nearly impossible, and the inevitable delays caused by track sharing would render the commuter line unusable from a reliability standpoint.

For WeGo to ever work well they need to double track most (if not all) the system, electrify it, purchase more rolling stock, and update all stations with dual platforms. Ideally they would also move the downtown station somewhere to integrate with a wider network and increase the size of the terminal to accommodate multiple trains simultaneously.

That would be very expensive and the only reasonable place to put a downtown station would be Union Station.

But in the long run, it may be worth it.

• Like 3

Curbed, via New York Magazine, has a good summary of New York City's progress towards safer streets. Lots of pictures.

Not sure what it says about Nashville's chances when advocates in the most pedestrianized big city in the U.S. have to fight tooth and nail for safe streets. 

https://www.curbed.com/2023/12/safer-new-york-street-design-pedestrian-bike-progress.html?origSession=D231213a1UmuRju9CpsDH75PtCaC0OGco5ewElrz0wpP2qZark%3D&_gl=1*1pol335*_ga*MTE2NzMzMTQwMy4xNzAyMzkzMDYz*_ga_DNE38RK1HX*MTcwMjQyNzk1OS4xLjAuMTcwMjQyNzk1OS42MC4wLjA.