The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

TDOT is pretty worthless! No engineering was done?!?!   And what's this "106,000 vehicles pass there each day"... No Duh!  Did they just figure thta out? And I suppose Metro would be the coordinating entity, but w.t.f.?  Why wasn't there a plan all ready to widen I-24 between Fern and the Cumberland (or all the way to the I-40/I-24 corridor)?  I'm understanding that the new underpasses will need to go deeper; so GO DEEPER! 

Another thing that gets my goat is the way news like this is reported... with the different monetary amounts sprinkled here and there through multiple paragraphs. Is it too much to ask for a chart telling where each segment/part is coming from and what is being done for the money? I just saw approximately $150M mentioned in that article from Federal, State and Metro taxpayers.... wasn't too long ago that we would have seen that whole segment of I-24 widened to 8 lanes for that amount. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

They already got $40 million appropriated from the state for the Cleveland Street project without even doing any back-of-the-napkin math on it? This is nuts.

It's almost like TDOT is beholden to rural pork barrel projects rather than doing things that would have meaningful benefit to thousands of people in Nashville. They're glad to throw $50+ million on a rural interchange and a 4-lane highway to nowhere in Humphreys County (receipts: Page 73 of this document), but backpedal and make excuses as to why they can't do basic street grid improvements in Nashville. Maybe, just maybe, TDOT is broken.

I have family in Humphreys County and I’d love to read about this high dollar project, but the link goes nowhere for me. Are you able to post an alternative link?

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Re-doing the link here... https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/programdevelopment/2023-2026-stip-draft/Tennessee STIP 2023-2026 Final_R.pdf

Basically it's building a 4-lane extension of Highway 13 from Buffalo south to the Perry County line. I grew up in Perry County and my family is all from Humphreys County, that's why I picked this as an example!

I've driven this route literally thousands of times and there is zero need for a 5 lane (4 travel + 2 gutter) in this stretch. They're trying to do this to attract business to a new industrial zone just south of the county line, which I get...this area needs all the investment it can get...but this is unnecessary overkill when a couple of turning lanes and and uphill passing lanes would be more than enough to allow for future development.

I worked on the TPR for this project. It's located here:

tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/documents/government-how-do-i-documents/Studies/StatewidePlanning/studies-TPR-Perry-SR13FromSR-20toI-40-PIN111109.pdf

The main driver of this project stems from the recession; Perry County in particular was hurting (the report mentions that, at the time, it had the highest unemployment rate in the state). It also qualifies for the county seat connector program.

As noted in the report, at the time TDOT recommended localized safety/operations improvements rather than a full widening or relocation. But this was before the IMPROVE Act and the origins of the job point to it being included strictly for political reasons.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

You touch on a primary point here: TDOT engineers put together reasonable recommendations that are then ignored in favor of bloated projects that create extremely lucrative contracts to a relatively small number of companies. Then, said politicians can point to these inefficient-at-best improvements as ways they're helping their rural constituencies, regardless of the real benefit, getting some good photo-ops and local paper writeups. And that's not even touching on the other ways that amount of money could have been spent to provide a higher ROI (acknowledging that some of the Federal funds are earmaked for specific projects and couldn't necessarily be used for anything other than road construction).

I think a multi-lane highway makes sense in terms of creating a corridor from Clarksville to Florence and Muscle Shoals; it would connect five county seats as well (and the county seat connector program is a worthwhile endeavor even though, or perhaps because, some are remote). There is also a feasible corridor all the way across the state using the Buffalo River and other river/stream valleys. Whether or not it is an immediate priority, I don't know, but should be an ultimate goal.

I'm not a fan of using infrastructure speculatively for economic development because: a) sometimes that development, or the infrastructure itself, doesn't follow through to completion; and b) there's a larger point to be made about whether we should be scattering employment bases across the state and creating conditions where regions are dependent on a single large employer (this is the reason Perry County was in bad shape at the time this project was studied in the first place; when the Siegel-Robert Automotive plant closed with 500 jobs lost it sent Perry County to the top of the unemployment list in both Tennessee and the ARC). That being said, Tennessee has done very well in recent years partially by being responsive to employer needs for infrastructure (cf. Blue Oval City), and even Perry County has added jobs and population with unemployment at background levels in spite of zero-point-zero miles of multi-lane highway in the county.

Ultimately, as long as our highway system uses tax money, it will remain beholden to political interests. There is an alternative model to treat state and local DOTs as public utilities, allowing them to replace gas taxes or public earmarks with VMT taxes, tolls, etc. and thus bring their own funding under their control. The long-term ramifications of this are unclear, and seems unlikely in any case that even the deep-red Tennessee legislature would relinquish control of the largest single landowner in the state and their $2 billion $5 billion budget. However, the TMA allows TDOT to create P3s that base funding models on viability of long-term revenue streams and this is going to have to be the future of highway expansion in urban areas in Tennessee and elsewhere.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Pretty sure it's Light Years ahead of how it was when I lived in Nashville... there was that cluster of buildings around Church/4th/Union and Deaderick... about 14-16 blocks circa 1990?... making up the "urban core".  Give it time! I'd guess it's 4 times larger now, and on the way to 5-6 times larger in 5 years. Already, Nashville's core surpasses the vast majority of cities in the second 15 largest cities (and a few larger ones) for urban development. It just keeps building on itself!  BTW: I'm thinking that Nashville could well crack the Top 20 of US cities in the next 2-3 years! May crack the Top 30 metros... but that's a larger stretch. 

Somewhat related... I talked with a good friend who tracks demographic changes for a living (consultant for past 25 years). He says the top 15 states in 2030 will be... CA, TX, FL, NY, PA, GA, IL, NC, OH, MI, NJ, VA, AZ, TN, WA... and his stretch for 2040 is CA, TX, FL, NY, GA, NC, PA, IL, OH, VA, MI, NJ, AZ, TN, WA.  Very interesting! Said the raw data he has on migration out of CA, NY, IL, MA, WA and NJ is stunning. He has hundreds of spreadsheets and under various scenarios. He calls his statistics "crystal ball" but I think that's from an old software package. I asked him about 2050 and his reply was hilarious... "If I knew that I'd be making millions in the stock market!" 

• Like 3

Nashville metro ranks #36 in the top 50 best cities for commuters.  They look at several factors including time lost annually in traffic, insurance costs etc.

Raleigh is #3 best,  Austin #15, Charlotte at #21 but you do better than Atlanta, Chicago and Houston the cities at #48 #49 and #50.

Is Commuting Worth It? The Best Cities for Commuters in America (2023) (listwithclever.com)

• Like 1

Again, the system is still not a fit for Nashville. You are not able to extend you parking if needed. The merchants quoted in the article were worried about folks not being able to run errands in the allotted time. That is such BS. The only folks parking on the streets are people that work there and tourist. I do think the folks visiting should be able to extend once. Running errands downtown is a stretch of the imagination. When did anyone on this board run multiple errands downtown or visit multiple merchants. That is a BS statement by the writer of the Tennessean article probably based on one comment stretching for an excuse.

Downtown is a tourist-oriented economy and there are plenty of parking garages to park in if you are going to stay any length of time and the locals know this. I never attempt to get a street space if I know I am going for any longer period of time which as you guys know is on Saturdays and any other times I know where the free parking is. It is just people mainly locals are not that stupid and are able to figure it out and walk a little further.

Downtown is for the tourist for the most part except for the sporting events and concerts and we don't park on the streets for that. Besides even if I am visiting another city, I do not park on the streets without checking the rules first.

Nashville has not done a good job with this parking roll out and made it look like a money grab and made it hard for the tourist to park. The blame again is on the former mayor of Hobbiton for doing a lousy job that he criticized his predecessor about and basically did the same thing. He was the worse about the pot calling the kettle black.

• Like 2