The State of Higher Education in Charlotte

cltbwimob

I am not a gun owner, but the sentiment from the anti-gun crowd seems absurdly unrealistic.  "All we have to do is ban guns and that will eliminate gun violence!"  Yeah....good luck with that.

Nobody even knows for sure how many guns there are in America.  Reports in 2022 indicated that there were just under 500 million known guns in the country, and given that there seem to be very minimal (at best) purchasing and registration requirements, I am sure the real number is higher.  Ignoring Constitutional arguments and political antics from both sides, does anyone honestly think it is even remotely possible to locate and confiscate half a billion guns?  That is a significantly higher number than the population of America (around 330 million).

People are acting like a simple flip of a switch will solve all of our gun problems, but is there even an answer at this point?  There are SO many guns out there, and the culture surrounding it has been baked into everyone for literally centuries, that comparisons to other countries are somewhat irrelevant and meaningless.  I'm not saying do nothing, but I think that if the Constitution was amended to the extent that guns were banned, you'd probably see a decent number of law-abiding citizens turn in their guns, while criminals (who already do not observe laws) would simply see it as another law to be broken, which would be the worst possible outcome.

Oakland's gun buyback attempt in 2008 backfired hilariously, as has pretty much every other gun buyback program in recent US history.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, nicholas said:

I am not a gun owner, but the sentiment from the anti-gun crowd seems absurdly unrealistic.  "All we have to do is ban guns and that will eliminate gun violence!"  Yeah....good luck with that.

Nobody even knows for sure how many guns there are in America.  Reports in 2022 indicated that there were just under 500 million known guns in the country, and given that there seem to be very minimal (at best) purchasing and registration requirements, I am sure the real number is higher.  Ignoring Constitutional arguments and political antics from both sides, does anyone honestly think it is even remotely possible to locate and confiscate half a billion guns?  That is a significantly higher number than the population of America (around 330 million).

People are acting like a simple flip of a switch will solve all of our gun problems, but is there even an answer at this point?  There are SO many guns out there, and the culture surrounding it has been baked into everyone for literally centuries, that comparisons to other countries are somewhat irrelevant and meaningless.  I'm not saying do nothing, but I think that if the Constitution was amended to the extent that guns were banned, you'd probably see a decent number of law-abiding citizens turn in their guns, while criminals (who already do not observe laws) would simply see it as another law to be broken, which would be the worst possible outcome.

Oakland's gun buyback attempt in 2008 backfired hilariously, as has pretty much every other gun buyback program in recent US history.

I don't think anyone expects to just "flip a switch", like Austraila did, but something more than what we have would be better.  I actually think if we could get 2/3 s of the states to vote 'yea', as we did The 19th, then a majority of Americans would actively 'narc' on neighbors who get out of hand with their guns. I know I sure would.  It would make it a lot easier for folks like me who have meth-head neighbors practicing their ARs. As it is now, I could report them, instead of walking over there and asking them to stop. If I report them now, and they get into trouble, guess who's going to disappear in the woods. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Anyway,  strong laws would make it clearer for campuses like UNCC.  They're stuck in a sort of limbo right now trying to figure out what's legal and what's not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JRCLT said:

The US’s heavy emphasis on individualism is the major shortcoming of our nation. A root to many of our issues today. Humans evolved to depend on one another and that is a fact. Prioritizing the individual over the collective has been Americas underlying ideology but since then it has dominated over any other idea more and more. The collective "us" identity is heavily fractured and not nurtured where it usually is in homogeneous nations. Switzerland has an ACTIVE gun culture, but it has a focus on community rather than fear of neighbors and personal protection. It's just not emphasized in that way. Fun fact Switzerland was the goal and played a huge role in inspiring the addition of the second amendment. 

I completely agree with your assessment of individualism versus collective. I keep droning on about living in London this year, but one of the biggest differences we're encountering here is the emphasis on team work. I'm writing this as I look out on The Thames and see several rowing boats full of at least eight rowers in each one rowing in perfect harmony.  The downside for all this teamwork is stunting of individual exceptionalism. It seems to me, much of the innovations occurring are occurring in places like our West.  The teamwork ethos, and, if you will,  conformity,  is so persuasive here that our kid just couldn't cope in the school anymore. We yanked them and are returning to The States a little early because of this. (At least kid and I are)

Switzerland really wasn't a cohesive nation until 1848. It was mostly cantons.  But, I get your point.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, nicholas said:

Oakland's gun buyback attempt in 2008 backfired hilariously, as has pretty much every other gun buyback program in recent US history

Gun violence needs to be tackled at a gun culture level, it is not a flip of the switch.

Nobody is saying "All we have to do is ban guns and that will eliminate gun violence!"  Frankly you quote is ridiculous. The  vast majority of the "anti-gun crowd" is calling for restrictions on where guns can be carried, what type of guns, how guns are stored,  and identifying any individuals who are deemed as a threat form accessing guns.  People will still have guns and to say the opposite is pandering to the scaremonger tactics of the NRA.

The constitution should be a  living breathing document, changed to suit the environment the nation faces. This should apply not just tot he 2nd amendment, but across the whole document.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I completely agree with your assessment of individualism versus collective. I keep droning on about living in London this year, but one of the biggest differences we're encountering here is the emphasis on team work. I'm writing this as I look out on The Thames and see several rowing boats full of at least eight rowers in each one rowing in perfect harmony.  The downside for all this teamwork is stunting of individual exceptionalism. It seems to me, much of the innovations occurring are occurring in places like our West.  The teamwork ethos, and, if you will,  conformity,  is so persuasive here that our kid just couldn't cope in the school anymore. We yanked them and are returning to The States a little early because of this. (At least kid and I are)

Switzerland really wasn't a cohesive nation until 1848. It was mostly cantons.  But, I get your point.

Yes! Very good points here. Though I want to clarify that I wouldn't say we should all sing kumbaya and be all collective. Also didn't mean to imply Switzerland was homogeneous, I was not very clear in my transition between ideas but Switzerland was the model the US wanted to replicate across the nation. Unfortunately events in the last century and this one has steered us far from that. 

Moderation is the best policy we have. A balance between the two would ideal. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences abroad! I will be visiting Japan soon for a little over a week, specifically Tokyo Metro/(Kanto Area). I'll try to get some coverage! (Any suggestions or requests would be taken into heavy consideration! :) ), but anyway... Japan is a nation with many successes for what it does in community by their collectivism and as a result is generally a very safe nation. Although it is far from a perfect society it does have some attractive attributes.

• Like 1

Japan is an interesting example for firearms. When the Dutch traders were active in Nagasaki in the 1600's they introduced such weapons to Japan. Japan had an advanced metal working knowledge (swords) and manufacturing such weapons came quickly. The threat to the ruling social class was immediately apparent. Swords and samurai values were at risk of collapse. The society built on the hierarchy of daimyo and feudal obligation were threatened. Therefor the guns in the country were eliminated and further production was prohibited. This was one of the reasons the isolation of Japan was so strict. The top social caste could enforce this prohibition as the rest of the nobility preferred to keep their position and the peasantry was, as always and everywhere, conservative and resisted change.

The history well told here:

https://www.amazon.com/Giving-Up-Gun-Reversion-1543-1879/dp/0879237732

• Like 3

Belmont Abbey College expands $150M capital campaign with eye on more campus development.

Belmont Abbey College new monastery rendering

Belmont Abbey College announced a $100 million capital campaign and development plan in 2023.
COURTESY BELMONT ABBEY COLLEGE

Belmont Abbey College shattered its initial goal in a $100 million capital campaign to support new academic programs and development on campus. The school is now raising its fundraising target to $150 million..............................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/13/belmont-abbey-college-capital-campaign-monastery.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Belmont Abbey College expands $150M capital campaign with eye on more campus development.

Belmont Abbey College new monastery rendering

Belmont Abbey College announced a $100 million capital campaign and development plan in 2023.
COURTESY BELMONT ABBEY COLLEGE

Belmont Abbey College shattered its initial goal in a $100 million capital campaign to support new academic programs and development on campus. The school is now raising its fundraising target to $150 million..............................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/13/belmont-abbey-college-capital-campaign-monastery.html

This has been in the news for a year, so the new news is that they're raising the target to $150m.

*Rendering Credit: WGM Design

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Great news here! 

""UNC Charlotte is poised to gain R1 status in 2025 — a classification that recognizes the ever-increasing amount of research it conducts and its roster of top-level talent. It also stands to catapult the university — and region — forward. 

Just two major metropolitans in the United States — Charlotte and Portland, Oregon — don’t have an R1 university. The official 2025 classifications are expected to be released early next year, but projections show UNC Charlotte would qualify under new metrics, according to the American Council on Education.

“I believe higher education is one of those anchor institutions in a community,” says Sharon Gaber, UNC Charlotte chancellor. “I think it broadens the opportunities for us.  

R1 will bring additional federal and state research dollars to the table. It will lure talented faculty and researchers to the region, while spurring enrollment growth. The status also could play a role in attracting business and industry here, building on a strong talent pipeline and the potential for research partnerships with local companies.

“Having a designation simply makes it all a little bit more credible,” says John Daniels, vice chancellor for research. “Our challenge is updating that muscle memory, to say ‘Hey look, we also have this critical mass of expertise and ability to be relevant in terms of startup companies, corporate partnerships and federal investment.’”""

UNC Charlotte poised to gain R1 status - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

It's odd to see one of my professors I've had quoted on here lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, KJHburg said:

Good news from Davidson.  

""Davidson College has received two donations totaling $85 million that will be used for overhauling its existing library in the middle of campus.

Charlotte nonprofit The Duke Endowment gifted the college its largest donation ever at $60 million. The remaining $25 million came from Bob Abernethy, the son of a distinguished Davidson College professor.

The $85 million will go toward transforming the school's library for the digital age while continuing to house its large collection of physical books, according to a news release. It will include a renovation and expansion aimed at modernizing the existing E.H. Little Library for students, faculty, staff and community members.""

Davidson College gifted $85M to overhaul library - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

the-george-lawrence-abernethy-library-sigange-04-05-24.jpg

Meanwhile, UNCC celebrates big bucks for football.  Priorities, I guess.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1