County to sell 82 Ionia

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, organsnyder said:

Glad to see this. This never felt like the right move—either financially, or for the effectiveness of county operations.

Agreed. If the county has that much money they're looking to burn, why don't they fix some of their friggin roads. Or invest in the county parks. Some of them have bathroom facilities I wouldn't lock my worst enemy in.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 8:08 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. If the county has that much money they're looking to burn, why don't they fix some of their friggin roads. Or invest in the county parks. Some of them have bathroom facilities I wouldn't lock my worst enemy in

Time for Road Funding 101. No county funds are used for roads. Most comes from the state gas and weight taxes. Some comes from the federal gas tax and the most townships contribute some funds to the road commission. (don't know where the bold is coming from - can't get rid of it:( )

Edited by Raildude's dad

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:08 PM, Raildude's dad said:

Time for Road Funding 101. No county funds are used for roads. Most comes from the state gas and weight taxes. Some comes from the federal gas tax and the most townships contribute some funds to the road commission. (don't know where the bold is coming from - can't get rid of it:( )

It's true. County funds are not used.
In Michigan, roads are handled by Road Commissions. Even though they are county, they operate separately with their own Board of Commissioner's. Along with their own budgets.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:08 PM, Raildude's dad said:

Point missed. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the county really NEED to be downtown?  82 Ionia is mostly used for probation and drug testing and not exactly convenient .

If they do decide to raze and rebuild at 320 they should build enough parking for the courthouse.  I always see signs for jury parking way over at the Ford museum.  If anyone should get close, free parking, it should be jurors.

3 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I always see signs for jury parking way over at the Ford museum.  If anyone should get close, free parking, it should be jurors.

As someone who was performing jury duty earlier this month and lives close to downtown, it was easier and quicker to take an uber/lyft to the courthouse and walk home versus driving to the dash lot on Scribner and waiting for a DASH bus to take me to the courthouse. If there was parking closer and without a shuttle, I would have just driven myself to the courthouse. 

4 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Does the county really NEED to be downtown?  82 Ionia is mostly used for probation and drug testing and not exactly convenient .

If they do decide to raze and rebuild at 320 they should build enough parking for the courthouse.  I always see signs for jury parking way over at the Ford museum.  If anyone should get close, free parking, it should be jurors.

The primary county tenant of 82  Ionia is the Prosecutors Office.  The county courthouse is a block away.  Most of the other organizations in the building: probation, drug testing, and the friend of the court, are also all court related.  It's a lot cheaper and easier for the people  working in the building to walk a block to the courthouse than to drive from  a suburban office park (along with expensing parking and mileage.)  I suppose everything including the courthouse could be moved to some sort of justice campus somewhere out in Gaines Township where the parking would be free but a large percentage of the court's customers do not drive and need to have ready access to public transportation.

I wonder who's behind revisiting this.  What's changed since 2017 when they did the numbers and decided all the options for moving people around would cost a lot more than just continuing to use 82 Ionia?   

Edited by walker
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Seems like this project never moves anywhere, but it sounds like they’re making slight progress, may build downtown:

https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/kent-county-again-weighs-selling-82-ionia-plans-building-projects

Interesting. They're talking about expanding 320 Ottawa, which I didn't even realize they owned that little building. I thought it was owned by the State of Michigan. 

441566885_320Ottawa.thumb.jpg.1e6636556fcced3a01645594718c1d39.jpg

33 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

No kidding. I would love to say that that streetview is from 1983 but it's not, it's from July 2019. 

It does kind of look like they used one of those 1970's Styrofoam McDonald's sandwich clamshells as inspiration for the design. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MJLO said:

It does kind of look like they used one of those 1970's Styrofoam McDonald's sandwich clamshells as inspiration for the design. 

Or a giant carton of eggs from Costco.  Maybe they'll pull an RDV and make the building completely new and unrecognizable. 

There must be someone very interested in the current county building  or they wouldn't keep revisiting this idea of selling. It does have that giant parking lot that can be expanded upward. 

• Like 1

Do they really HAVE to be downtown?  Why not build on massive complex on Fuller?  82 Ionia is basically just  probation, drug testing and FOC and not exactly convenient unless you're already downtown.  Maybe they want to be close to the courthouse?  Why not sell off their tiny, crappy buildings and consolidate?

I know the building at 82 has a lot of history, would this prevent it from being torn down?  The surface lot to the south is probably one of the best undeveloped spots in central DT.

15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Do they really HAVE to be downtown?  Why not build on massive complex on Fuller?  82 Ionia is basically just  probation, drug testing and FOC and not exactly convenient unless you're already downtown.  Maybe they want to be close to the courthouse?  Why not sell off their tiny, crappy buildings and consolidate?

I know the building at 82 has a lot of history, would this prevent it from being torn down?  The surface lot to the south is probably one of the best undeveloped spots in central DT.

I think they are looking at the Fuller campus too.