Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

From an article about 336 N Orange in Growthspotter today...

JP Beaulieu, Director of Retail Services for Bishop Beale Duncan, said MMA's retail concerns are not uncommon among multifamily developers even though demand has been strong at some newer buildings, like Modera Central. Others, like Camden North Quarter (formerly The Sevens), have struggled to find tenants”

6 hours ago, Jernigan said:

JP Beaulieu, Director of Retail Services for Bishop Beale Duncan, said MMA's retail concerns are not uncommon among multifamily developers even though demand has been strong at some newer buildings, like Modera Central. Others, like Camden North Quarter (formerly The Sevens), have struggled to find tenants”

Edited by DreS0803

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

wow.  Good for Modera.  That's otherwise a good set of corners for retail.  The Sevens needs a magnet anchor.  As cheesy as it sounds...dare I say...7-Eleven?  Maybe a CVS to anchor that side of downtown?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

BishopBeale (or BBD now) would know - Jill Rose over there  is handling the retail herself.   Excited to see what they are working on landing.  Rosalind is such a wasteland for street life which is insane considering our signature park fronts 2 blocks of it.

In retrospect, making Rosalind the northbound segment of FL 527 and turning it into an express racetrack was an error.

Oddly, it didn’t help Magnolia thrive at all.

Perhaps there were limited options because of Lymmo but it’s striking how we seem to have ended up with the worst of both worlds.

I don’t know if FDOT is amenable to a road diet for Rosalind but I fear unless it happens any retail along that stretch is unlikely to have much success.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In retrospect, making Rosalind the northbound segment of FL 527 and turning it into an express racetrack was an error.

Oddly, it didn’t help Magnolia thrive at all.

Perhaps there were limited options because of Lymmo but it’s striking how we seem to have ended up with the worst of both worlds.

I don’t know if FDOT is amenable to a road diet for Rosalind but I fear unless it happens any retail along that stretch is unlikely to have much success.

I completely agree.  This is a huge problem.  I wonder if the lanes are wider on Rosalind than on Orange.  We have the same problem on Garland.  If it was a two-way street, the Exchange building might have more success.  Garland is/will be three lanes and one way northbound and it's design is 100% based on about 45 minutes worth of traffic in the morning.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, Jernigan said:

BishopBeale (or BBD now) would know - Jill Rose over there  is handling the retail herself.   Excited to see what they are working on landing.  Rosalind is such a wasteland for street life which is insane considering our signature park fronts 2 blocks of it.

She made an off-hand comment that they have an LOI for all 12,000 sqft of retail at Modera.  Apparently its been landed.

Wow! Can you give more context?  Was this in line at Starbucks or a speaking gig or somewhere in between?   One LOI or multiple?  That’s a lot of space.  

EDIT - just saw other thread and that this was in the MPB.  Cool!

Edited by Jernigan

Talked to a colleague that lives at Modera and she heard from staff that only a portion of the space has LOIs and they were waiting on a corner anchor to be secured before finalizing the others since the anchor will determine how much space they need and will leave available.  They will also ensure brand compatibility - brands that complement the other retail and also jive with Modera itself (don’t expect a McDonalds even though they were rumored to be interested)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Talked to a colleague that lives at Modera and she heard from staff that only a portion of the space has LOIs and they were waiting on a corner anchor to be secured before finalizing the others since the anchor will determine how much space they need and will leave available.  They will also ensure brand compatibility - brands that complement the other retail and also jive with Modera itself (don’t expect a McDonalds even though they were rumored to be interested)

What, the University Club guys don’t wanna chow down on a McRib and a Dr Pepper after a workout? Shocking.

34 minutes ago, uncreativeusername said:

Yikes - mental health-induced homelessness is now "fake" homelessness?  

Homelessness is not a monolithic issue.

I didn't say anything about sufferers of mental illness being "fake" homeless, but the nature of suffering from schizophrenia/bi-polar disease [paranoia, etc.] is that without being forcibly institutionalized, most choose to be on the street. No amount of jobs training and affordable housing initiatives is going to remove that component of the "homeless" from the streets. By "real" I mean those who have not in some way chosen to be homeless or who are homeless, economically, through no fault of their own.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

2 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

Homelessness is not a monolithic issue.

I didn't say anything about sufferers of mental illness being "fake" homeless, but the nature of suffering from schizophrenia/bi-polar disease [paranoia, etc.] is that without being forcibly institutionalized, most choose to be on the street. No amount of jobs training and affordable housing initiatives is going to remove that component of the "homeless" from the streets. By "real" I mean those who have not in some way chosen to be homeless or who are homeless, economically, through no fault of their own.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth - I will take responsibility for inferring "fake homelessness" as a direct opposite to "real homelessness".  And I appreciate your civil response (see folks, it's possible!).

I also agree that homelessness is not a monolithic issue, but will respectfully object to language that (inadvertently or not) implies there are classes of undeserving and deserving homelessness.  Words and phrases such as "real", "chosen", and "through no fault of their own" do imply fault for a segment of the homeless population.  People do not choose and are not at fault for mental illness. Again, if this is not your intention, I take you at your word, but I think it's worth pointing out how your words may be construed by others.

Are there different causes of homelessness? Of course.  Will a single strategic course of action solve all homelessness? Of course not. But I refuse to accept that there is not still a great deal of room for our society to better support and understand those suffering from mental illness (and well beyond the issue of homelessness, for that matter). Stigma is at the root of our failure to do better as a society, and language feeds stigma, whether we mean for it to or not. 

Bi-polar disorder runs in my family, my childhood best friend was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his early 20s, and an ex of mine recently spent almost a year on the streets due to drug abuse, so all of this hits close to home for me. 

*I apologize for taking the thread off-topic - Mods, feel free to move to the Coffee House.

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

I don't mean to put words in your mouth - I will take responsibility for inferring "fake homelessness" as a direct opposite to "real homelessness".  And I appreciate your civil response (see folks, it's possible!).

I also agree that homelessness is not a monolithic issue, but will respectfully object to language that (inadvertently or not) implies there are classes of undeserving and deserving homelessness.  Words and phrases such as "real", "chosen", and "through no fault of their own" do imply fault for a segment of the homeless population.  People do not choose and are not at fault for mental illness. Again, if this is not your intention, I take you at your word, but I think it's worth pointing out how your words may be construed by others.

Are there different causes of homelessness? Of course.  Will a single strategic course of action solve all homelessness? Of course not. But I refuse to accept that there is not still a great deal of room for our society to better support and understand those suffering from mental illness (and well beyond the issue of homelessness, for that matter). Stigma is at the root of our failure to do better as a society, and language feeds stigma, whether we mean for it to or not. 

Bi-polar disorder runs in my family, my childhood best friend was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his early 20s, and an ex of mine recently spent almost a year on the streets due to drug abuse, so all of this hits close to home for me. 

*I apologize for taking the thread off-topic - Mods, feel free to move to the Coffee House.

I think that you are turning my post into something of a Rorschack test, that you are seeing what you want to see.

The point of my post, and why I used quote marks, was simply to suggest, if humorously, that the stuffy old Orlando gentry of the University Club don't want to have to come in contact with groups of "homeless" who many people view as undesirables - addicts, bums, and the mentally ill, as opposed to the more palatable homeless such as that very bright teenage girl and her brother who lived in their father's car.

Now, if one wants to critique my stereotyping of the old, white, conservative, University Club demographic, to that I plead guilty.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

I'm very happy if you agree with me on the point that our society can afford to do better in our handling of the matter.  As for seeing what I want to see - what I want to see is the exact opposite, which is the only reason I felt compelled to reply.  I don't feel my interpretation of your posts was entirely out of left field (in that others could have come to the same conclusion), although I accept that your intention was different.

I reiterate that I am not trying to put words in your mouth - I respect your autonomy to communicate your thoughts.  I also don't regret sharing my thoughts on the impact of language and word-choice.

Thanks for the respectful exchange.