>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

Well it casts the Mayor in negative light. Why should he be above anyone else who walks in there from the public? It seemed Cianciesque to me..

Cianciesque? You haven't had to deal much with the public have you? That should be a daily occurance for anyone working in your friends position regardless of what level of society they reside in. Now if he had had your friend fired, then we could talk about it being Cianciesque. :rolleyes:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to spoil everyone's parade, I think he has done a lot of great things for the city, but I have a story about the Mayor.

I've mentioned that I worked security in college. A colleague of mine was sitting at a post and the Mayor came along and the guard stopped him and said "Excuse me, sir. How may I help you?" and the Mayor said where he was going, so the guard says "could you please go down to the guard shack and sign in". I was told the Mayor looked flabbergasted and said "do you know who I am" and the guard said "Yes, Mr. Mayor I know who you are but as a guest in this building you have to go sign in and get a visitor's badge like everyone else".

Decorum dictates that when a well known public or political figure is present certain security measures can be by-passed. Unless of course your a former uptight military member or an anal retentive security guard who wishes he was a cop. I've worked security and know the type. What the hell do you think you're going to get for $ 7 - 9/hr?

Decorum dictates that when a well known public or political figure is present certain security measures can be by-passed. Unless of course your a former uptight military member or an anal retentive security guard who wishes he was a cop. I've worked security and know the type. What the hell do you think you're going to get for $ 7 - 9/hr?

Decorum also dictates that in an age of social-terroism, a respectable person such as Cicilline would do as he did in this second hand story. To call out "uptight military members" or "anal retentive gaurds...." is not decorum or respectable.

Decorum's one thing, building contracts and uptight bosses are another. It is posted in capital letters that "EVERY VISITOR MUST CHECK IN AT THE DESK". With people that work in the building, once you get to know (or even recognize) them you can let them do things like bring their family or something without checking in and walk in without making sure to show you the badge. You are serving the client, not the public. When an individual who does not work in the building, even the Mayor, shows up and does not sign in it makes the security company look bad, seriously. Building management might come down and look (they really do this) knowing the Mayor (or any other supposed "big shot") was there and when they don't see his signiture they bring it up with the site supervisor. This kind of stuff works against the company if it happens to much when it comes time to renew the contract. It's not like he's the President coming in, he's the Mayor. Big woop. How big of an ego does the guy have? Even Federal Marshalls and Secret Service take the 30 seconds to check in at the desk, usually without being asked. He does not own the place. It's not like it's too big a deal to show respect and follow the rules of the building, which again he does not own, by following a precedure that would take 30 seconds.

This is not an example of the "uptight security guard". It's what security guards get paid to do. We actually got paid pretty well for security, too. Started at a whopping $10/hr.

It's not like it's too big a deal to show respect and follow the rules of the building, which again he does not own, by following a precedure that would take 30 seconds.

I agree with everything you say, except I don't agree that this incident gives us any special insight into his character.

How big of an ego does the guy have? Even Federal Marshalls and Secret Service take the 30 seconds to check in at the desk, usually without being asked. He does not own the place. It's not like it's too big a deal to show respect and follow the rules of the building, which again he does not own, by following a precedure that would take 30 seconds.

After an embarassing temporary ego rage, he did what he was told to do, what is your problem? Can a mayor not have a bad day? I'm sure your friend has millions of stories about people who acted in the exact same manner, and far worse. Oh boo hoo the Mayor gave me attitude. I'm sorry, your story is silly and pointless.

After an embarassing temporary ego rage, he did what he was told to do, what is your problem? Can a mayor not have a bad day? I'm sure your friend has millions of stories about people who acted in the exact same manner, and far worse. Oh boo hoo the Mayor gave me attitude. I'm sorry, your story is silly and pointless.

WOW!!! :shok:

I think that I , probably along with others, would have a bigger problem dealing with US Rep. Patrick Kennedy pushing past an airport screener at a check point before boarding an airline. Now that was in poor taste and unacceptable. A line was crossed.

Well it casts the Mayor in negative light. Why should he be above anyone else who walks in there from the public? It seemed Cianciesque to me..

anyone in charge of a city will do that. cianci wouldn't have even asked "do you know who i am?"

It was only a stupid story about the Mayor. I'm sorry I posted that given the reaction it received. I posted it because I thought it was humorous, and didn't mean to get people up in arms defending the man. I've heard of stories when elected officials have acted in this manner, and thought it was interesting and funny to point out after everyone was praising him the way they were. I said this when I posted my "silly, pointless" story that I thought he's done great things for the city.

I did not take offense to the way he acted, but people on here seem to have taken offense to my posting this. Sure the Mayor can have a bad day, but being a public official isn't he under the miscroscope all the time?

Just because elected officials act like they're entitled to special treatment I can't laugh at one of Providence's own when he acts like a fool? I know the problem isn't limited to the way he acted, but the attitude of entitlement that exists in public officials is something that shouldn't be excused. Cythia McKinney assaulted a security guard for doing the same thing that the guard in my little story did.

Again, I had no intention of starting a debate, I thought given that everyone was praising the man like he is some sort of saint it would be funny to post that. I only got into defending why the security guard acted the way he did did and why the Mayor was wrong after people here acted like the way he was acting was not that big of a deal.

I thought given that everyone was praising the man like he is some sort of saint it would be funny to post that.

I don't think anyone was elevating him to sainthood, especially since he's jewish, they don't have saints do they?

I don't think anyone was elevating him to sainthood, especially since he's jewish, they don't have saints do they?

I said I was not trying to start an argument. Do you have an interpersonal relationship with the Mayor or something? You seem to have taken my stupid comments about him to heart. I don't need the sarcasm. I tried to apologize for starting this nonsense. Please let's just end it and move on.

No saints in jewville, but I bet his mother is oh so proud of him.

You think he'd push for a decent deli, then :D

HAHA! Seriously!

• 1 month later...

they seem to be very successful so I think they may not be as slippery as track material... the only reason other cities/towns seem to not use them is the pricing im guessing

3 times the cost makes them pretty expensive... it's a nifty idea though.

Archived