>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

I dont know if anyone can say that for sure.....

Can't say I would mind if they close. They always seem to have a rougher crowed.

diesel, the club aspect, wouldn't be a huge loss as we have several other clubs in town. if diesel closing means lupos closing, then yes, it would be a very major loss for the city, as lupo's is the only music venue here that pulls in major acts. i would be really upset if a shutdown of diesel results in losing lupo's. i don't think lupo will try to reopen after all the moves he's made...

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

diesel, the club aspect, wouldn't be a huge loss as we have several other clubs in town. if diesel closing means lupos closing, then yes, it would be a very major loss for the city, as lupo's is the only music venue here that pulls in major acts. i would be really upset if a shutdown of diesel results in losing lupo's. i don't think lupo will try to reopen after all the moves he's made...

My dream scenario is that Diesel closes and Lupo's takes over the space full time. Man do I miss the last Lupos/Met combo. We are at such a low point in terms of music venues right now. I saw a picture of babyhead the other day and was very nostalgic for what was going on music wise 10 years ago.

My dream scenario is that Diesel closes and Lupo's takes over the space full time. Man do I miss the last Lupos/Met combo. We are at such a low point in terms of music venues right now. I saw a picture of babyhead the other day and was very nostalgic for what was going on music wise 10 years ago.

i agree. if they close diesel, they need to give lupo's the option to take over the space full time. they can easily handle that space. they just gotta get rid of the cages because they won't have cage dancers like diesel.

It might be cool if Lupos would move to westminster (again) to have their own venue... bring some foot traffic from 7pm-closing time. Not sure where they would go to avoid disrupting the loft residents... but that might be nice to see work..... and of course diesel would stay open :)

i agree. if they close diesel, they need to give lupo's the option to take over the space full time. they can easily handle that space. they just gotta get rid of the cages because they won't have cage dancers like diesel.

I had always just kind of assumed that this is what would happen given the fast turnover for dance clubs in Providence. None of them last all that long (although the Complex has been there for quite a while now...) I am terrified of losing Lupos. When they closed up the first time the Living Room was easily able to fill their void, as they had a really great space at the Foundry. The current Livingroom location is a total dump though (in kind of a charming way) which could never take on big acts. The city would be royaly screwed without Lupos.

I had always just kind of assumed that this is what would happen given the fast turnover for dance clubs in Providence. None of them last all that long (although the Complex has been there for quite a while now...) I am terrified of losing Lupos. When they closed up the first time the Living Room was easily able to fill their void, as they had a really great space at the Foundry. The current Livingroom location is a total dump though (in kind of a charming way) which could never take on big acts. The city would be royaly screwed without Lupos.

does lupo's run itself on its own or are they tied to diesel now? that's really what's at stake. does the city consider lupo's it's own entity or part of diesel?

i hope they see the value of lupo's. i don't really care about clubs, there's so many of them and they're all the same.

does lupo's run itself on its own or are they tied to diesel now?

They are their own entity but they ride on Diesel's liquor license, if Diesel's license gets pulled, Lupo's doesn't have one.

Does anyone know what the ownership situation is of the building? Do Lupo's/Diesel pay some sort of rent? And if Diesel is gone, can Lupo's cover the rent?

Even if Lupo's and Diesel go, something will go into that spot. I think Mr. Lupo is getting too old for this and would in a way be happy to be able to throw in the towel, now is the time that the next generation has to step up. Even if Lupo's can survive, it's not too long before Mr. Lupo is going to want to stop being in this business.

They are their own entity but they ride on Diesel's liquor license, if Diesel's license gets pulled, Lupo's doesn't have one.

Does anyone know what the ownership situation is of the building? Do Lupo's/Diesel pay some sort of rent? And if Diesel is gone, can Lupo's cover the rent?

Even if Lupo's and Diesel go, something will go into that spot. I think Mr. Lupo is getting too old for this and would in a way be happy to be able to throw in the towel, now is the time that the next generation has to step up. Even if Lupo's can survive, it's not too long before Mr. Lupo is going to want to stop being in this business.

i don't see why lupo's wouldn't be able to handle the rent/liquor license fees. however, i do understand that lupo won't be in the business forever and eventually he'll want to retire. i do hope there is someone willing to step up and take his place as lupo's is very important to the city. if i had the money, time, and knew enough about that business, i'd be more than willing to take over. but i don't.

i don't see why lupo's wouldn't be able to handle the rent/liquor license fees. however, i do understand that lupo won't be in the business forever and eventually he'll want to retire. i do hope there is someone willing to step up and take his place as lupo's is very important to the city. if i had the money, time, and knew enough about that business, i'd be more than willing to take over. but i don't.

If you had the money, time and knowledge you might NOT want to. Its not an easy business, and the thing needed in addition to what you mentioned is passion. Lupo has had that for a long time, and that is what made him fight, but passion dies after being trodded on for so long and that is what we are seeing here.

Logic alone does not get a person into the music club business, in fact logic makes them run away. Its the passion that gets people into it, with a dose of time/money/knowledge if you are lucky.

If you had the money, time and knowledge you might NOT want to. Its not an easy business, and the thing needed in addition to what you mentioned is passion. Lupo has had that for a long time, and that is what made him fight, but passion dies after being trodded on for so long and that is what we are seeing here.

Logic alone does not get a person into the music club business, in fact logic makes them run away. Its the passion that gets people into it, with a dose of time/money/knowledge if you are lucky.

never said it was easy. and i never said i didn't have passion. i would hate to see providence lose its music scene (face it, without lupo's the music scene here would be everything short of dead). i don't have the knowledge, time, or money to get into the music club business, so it's a moot point. but if i did, the passion would be there. i would do everything i could to make it work.

The reason lupo's doesn't do all that is 1. because they just rent for when they have concerts, and 2. I am friends with Rich, and he just got married last year, and is actually thinking about just selling it, or give it up and someone else can take it up, basically because he has done it so long, and with his new family, and being in the process of buying a new house he doesn't have the time or want to put the effort into going ahead and either buying a building, or setting stuff up like liqour licesnes etc.

never said it was easy. and i never said i didn't have passion. i would hate to see providence lose its music scene (face it, without lupo's the music scene here would be everything short of dead). i don't have the knowledge, time, or money to get into the music club business, so it's a moot point. but if i did, the passion would be there. i would do everything i could to make it work.

No you never did say it was easy, and I was not suggesting you did not have the passion. Forgive me if that how it came off, did not meant for it to.

Just wanted to add that very vital yet fleeting characteristic that makes someone take on that crazy occupation.

I didn't realize he considered himself jewish. It's almost as surprising for us to have a jewish mayor as it is for us to have a gay mayor.

Were getting almost the whole package. Italian, Jewish and gay. Now imagine if he was black seeking a sex change. :lol::D

I didn't realize he considered himself jewish. It's almost as surprising for us to have a jewish mayor as it is for us to have a gay mayor.

Beyond him "considering" himself Jewish, by being born to a Jewish mother he is fully halachically (Orthodox law) Jewish. That he identifies as such and is considerably active in the community (which I have heard he is, including teaching Hebrew School at one of the East Side synagogues) is wonderful.

- Garris

Beyond him "considering" himself Jewish, by being born to a Jewish mother he is fully halachically (Orthodox law) Jewish. That he identifies as such and is considerably active in the community (which I have heard he is, including teaching Hebrew School at one of the East Side synagogues) is wonderful.

- Garris

You think he'd push for a decent deli, then :D

Beyond him "considering" himself Jewish, by being born to a Jewish mother he is fully halachically (Orthodox law) Jewish.

Oh I know that's how it's supposed to work, but at some point (like by the time you're 44) you get to decide for yourself. I didn't think he had any time to attend temple or mass.

Not to spoil everyone's parade, I think he has done a lot of great things for the city, but I have a story about the Mayor.

I've mentioned that I worked security in college. A colleague of mine was sitting at a post and the Mayor came along and the guard stopped him and said "Excuse me, sir. How may I help you?" and the Mayor said where he was going, so the guard says "could you please go down to the guard shack and sign in". I was told the Mayor looked flabbergasted and said "do you know who I am" and the guard said "Yes, Mr. Mayor I know who you are but as a guest in this building you have to go sign in and get a visitor's badge like everyone else". I was told he didn't appear too happy about that but went down and signed in as a guest. The person who was the guard in this story had a pretty impressive career in the Marines, where he reached the rank of Lt. Colonel before retiring. I don't think he was one of those types that would exaggerate or make up things... I thought it was pretty funny when he told me that day.

Not to spoil everyone's parade, I think he has done a lot of great things for the city, but I have a story about the Mayor.

I've mentioned that I worked security in college. A colleague of mine was sitting at a post and the Mayor came along and the guard stopped him and said "Excuse me, sir. How may I help you?" and the Mayor said where he was going, so the guard says "could you please go down to the guard shack and sign in". I was told the Mayor looked flabbergasted and said "do you know who I am" and the guard said "Yes, Mr. Mayor I know who you are but as a guest in this building you have to go sign in and get a visitor's badge like everyone else". I was told he didn't appear too happy about that but went down and signed in as a guest. The person who was the guard in this story had a pretty impressive career in the Marines, where he reached the rank of Lt. Colonel before retiring. I don't think he was one of those types that would exaggerate or make up things... I thought it was pretty funny when he told me that day.

i think that would be an expected response from any major public official, like a mayor. at least he didn't do what the US rep did and assault the guard.

So the Mayor had a "do you know who I am moment" then went and did what he was being asked to do without any further incident? I fail to see how my parade should be rained on by that.

But that's typical of people in power. I knew a security guard at RI Hospital who described to me an outburst by "Salty" Brine when he couldn't find a parking space there. I couldn't even write here what he screamed. :whistling: Imagine what Cianci would have done!? You could probably expect a building inspection the next day by the building inspector and fire department. :ph34r:

So the Mayor had a "do you know who I am moment" then went and did what he was being asked to do without any further incident? I fail to see how my parade should be rained on by that.

Well it casts the Mayor in negative light. Why should he be above anyone else who walks in there from the public? It seemed Cianciesque to me..

Archived