>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumb unrelated question: Why is it "downcity" instead of downtown?

I've heard it's related to the fact that from most areas, you actually have to go down hill to reach the city center. It's an old term that was revived for marketing purposes. I quite like it and wish it would be official and 'Downtown' would go away.

I've heard it's related to the fact that from most areas, you actually have to go down hill to reach the city center. It's an old term that was revived for marketing purposes. I quite like it and wish it would be official and 'Downtown' would go away.

I like it too, and I even got my dog to respond to it. When I say "Wanna go Downcity?" he goes nuts....

Knock it who will, I like it myself. "Proper" grammar is overrated and boring, Mr/Mrs/Ms Recchia. A necessary evil, to be sure, but stuffy and boring all the same.

Being a native Rhode Islander, I of course agree.

So what's the point with these signs? I thought we were talking about some sort of wayfinding signs. All these say are Downtown Providence, as if we didn't know that's where we were? They are very nice decorations though.

The fire is being discussed in this thread.

Latest report is there is fear that the Downcity Diner Building may collapse. I'm afraid the tattoo shop is likely a total loss. :( Smoke and water damage is severe. I was just down there, water is pouring out of the building, and most of Downcity south of Weybosset is full of smoke. All the buildings on the block are closed and J&W has closed their dorms as a precaution, luckily for them, most kids have moved out.

This is another example of misrepresented journalism. Every incident of crime that happens on Washington St. is going to be pinned against Diesel. This is absolutely pathetic. I hope the judge throws this case out for lack of evidence.

You can't be serious. I mean it's bad that the media is sensationalistic but criminals should be punished.

You can't be serious. I mean it's bad that the media is sensationalistic but criminals should be punished.

I believe they're blaming the nighclub for these crimes.... they wanted to close it down a few months ago. Too bad .. it's a good home to Providence's best independent music venue

Archived