Baton Rouge Transportation

ehyfield

• 4 weeks later...

State opening new exit off Interstate 110; aim is traffic relief

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_63b257d4-ec27-11e9-8cf1-ab986643051e.html

Aiming to reduce traffic backups, Gov. John Bel Edwards and others Friday announced the opening of a new exit off Interstate 110 south near the "new" Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge.

The $9.3 million Terrace Avenue exit will allow southbound motorists to get to the Washington Street area without having to cross multiple lanes of traffic.

The new exit begins over Myrtle Avenue, extends over Julia Street and connects with Terrace Avenue.

The previous configuration led to backups on I-110 south as well as for eastbound motorists leaving the bridge, especially during afternoon rush hours.

The new setup will allow southbound travelers to exit left off the interstate instead of going right to the Washington Street exit.

"These improvements will eliminate the need for traffic from I-110 southbound to weave across merging traffic to take the Washington Street exit," Edwards said in a statement that accompanied the announcement.

"Washington Street will not be taken out of commission and can still be used by travelers coming east on I-10," he said.

Edwards also said the exit is a precursor to his $360 million plan, using federal bonds, to widen Interstate 10 from the bridge to the I-10/12 split.

Shawn Wilson, secretary for the state Department of Transportation and Development, said about 98,000 motorists use the corridor daily and about 5,000 or 6,000 cars and trucks will use the new Terrace Avenue/Washington Street exit each day.

"This is a highly traveled corridor," he said.

The governor noted that the 14-month project involved federal, state and local officials.

"This is one of those transportation problems that should have been fixed decades ago," said U.S. Rep. Garret Graves, R-Baton Rouge.

image.thumb.png.77f8e1276f3e99001755142b3081b5f3.png

• Like 2

Nice to see you posting Mr.Bernham :thumbsup:   Think this  New I-10 Fly-over to College Drive would be cool...drivers won't have to completely shift over several lanes of westbound traffic;  just to get into Right turn lane.

AND ...I happen to think the old I-12 Fly over back to I-10 East bound  needs an additional lane ; not sure how they could make it work; but morning traffic ridiculous!

Mixed review after DOTD laid out College Drive flyover plans

https://www.wbrz.com/news/mixed-review-after-dotd-laid-out-college-drive-flyover-plans

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_aec07fbc-f5cd-11e9-b300-cb47e03b6196.html

image.thumb.png.b5429f940ab34b280bff2f56e04e4e0f.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Nice to see you posting Mr.Bernham :thumbsup:   Think this  New I-10 Fly-over to College Drive would be cool...drivers won't have to completely shift over several lanes of westbound traffic;  just to get into Right turn lane.

AND ...I happen to think the old I-12 Fly over back to I-10 East bound  needs an additional lane ; not sure how they could make it work; but morning traffic ridiculous!

Mixed review after DOTD laid out College Drive flyover plans

https://www.wbrz.com/news/mixed-review-after-dotd-laid-out-college-drive-flyover-plans

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_aec07fbc-f5cd-11e9-b300-cb47e03b6196.html

image.thumb.png.b5429f940ab34b280bff2f56e04e4e0f.png

Cool. I think they could make it work just add a lane to the left on the I-12 side and as the right turn lane to Essen.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not supportive of the entire expansion scheme. 

I'd rather see political will and capital go into the construction of a loop and new bridge than simply over-expanding the existing interstate. So many new businesses and neighborhoods have grown up around the existing interstate and I'd hate to see them demolished or their business impaired by an expansion that will not, in the long run, alleviate traffic issues. By the time the expansion is over, traffic will be just as a bad as it is now. DOTD's are dependent on induced demand to survive, but as a result, it kills our cities. 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:14 AM, mr. bernham said:

I'd rather see political will and capital go into the construction of a loop and new bridge than simply over-expanding the existing interstate. So many new businesses and neighborhoods have grown up around the existing interstate and I'd hate to see them demolished or their business impaired by an expansion that will not, in the long run, alleviate traffic issues. By the time the expansion is over, traffic will be just as a bad as it is now. DOTD's are dependent on induced demand to survive, but as a result, it kills our cities. 

Well you're definitely not wrong, but at this point I don't know where they would even be able to put a loop.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 2:14 AM, mr. bernham said:

Sad reality is that Baton Rouge needs both a bypass and an improved/expanded I-10 through the city.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Get the feeling this "NEW BRIDGE" is never going to happen ...Ridiculous!@  Meanwhile The Audubon Bridge 30 miles to the North(St.Francisville/New Roads)  gets lower than expected numbers...These TWO Bridges should have SWAPPED on the timeline!!

New Mississippi River bridge? At least four more years to even begin construction, top officials say

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_8b7dae56-4110-11ea-b26e-73f68f688dfd.html

Any new structure is expected to cost more than $1 billion. Where the dollars would come from is unclear.

The state has a backlog of road and bridge projects that totals more than $14 billion, and state lawmakers have repeatedly shown they have no interest in increasing Louisiana's gasoline tax.

image.thumb.png.39b84859c946a899135bc08330c836d0.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bid to ease congestion on I-12 endorsed by legislative panel

A plan aimed at easing congestion on a key, 15-mile corridor of Interstate 12 in the Baton Rouge area won approval Thursday from the Joint Transportation Committee.

The project will convert shoulder space into high occupancy vehicle lanes in both directions between the I-10/12 split in Baton Rouge and Walker, and possibly further eastward at some point.

Sen. J. Rogers Pope, R-Livingston, said he drives the route under scrutiny every day. "It is a concept we all need," Pope said.

"It is not just for Livingston Parish or Baton Rouge. It is a regional thing."

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

https://www.wafb.com/2020/11/06/movebr-program-aims-make-airline-highway-better-safer/

BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - Some new adjustments are coming to Airline Highway in the future which could help make that drive to work a little easier.

As most drivers in Baton Rouge know, Airline Highway is a major corridor for East Baton Rouge Parish, and the MovEBR program is hoping this new project will not only make the highway better, but also safer.

The project will be done in phases and will take place from the north end of Airline Highway all the way to the southern end. So far, MovEBR has $48 million set aside for the work, but officials believe the total amount will come to $100 million for the entire project. MovEBR is hoping to get federal money from FEMA since Airline Highway is a main evacuation route in the state.

“Airline Highway is not a city-parish highway; it is a state route, and we have to work with the DOTD, which we have, and we work very closely on the project, but they dictate on what they have seen needs to be done for this particular project,” said Fred Raiford, transportation and drainage director for the city-parish.

Other ideas are in the mix to not only add lanes to the highway, but to also add bicycle lanes and sidewalks for pedestrians.

Bike lanes and sidewalks are a big help, but they need to go farther - especially in north Baton Rouge.   That stretch of Airline north of Florida Blvd is currently the ugliest road in the state except for maybe Chef Menteur in New Orleans.

They need to use decorative lighting, upgraded signage, pole mounted signals, and a landscaping.  Some of the utilities have to be moved below ground, and an overlay district that regulates private signage needs to be enforced.     Tax credits should be given to either rehab or demolish/replace abandoned businesses on that stretch.

Something like this:

image.png.93be6dcc9513dd46dfa332855cbcbd53.png

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

I know I'm the Debbie Downer here but what do yall think of this project? Officials claim it will help congestion on I-10 and 12, how do yall think?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I think it will help, but drivers won’t really notice until they get added capacity to I-10 west of College Drive.....which is 6-7 years away from completion.    And pure construction hell in the meantime.      

The flyover will definitely help the I-12 W traffic in particular eventually.   The problem is that those commuters are already stopped (or nearly stopped) right around there for morning rush hour tie ups originating several miles ahead at Acadian where it narrows down to 3 westbound lanes.      So by itself, there is a nominal benefit to the having the flyover.   When taken with the other phases of the broader I-10 widening project (that will make traffic move faster through  there at rush hour) it will be very beneficial to have exiting cars not cross those lanes anymore.    Especially when the HOV lanes on I-12 come on line.     I do wish they were increasing I-10 west of college to 10 lanes instead of 8.  Or at least 8 lanes with a reversible center commuter lane.    I know a lot of westbound traffic exits at College, but you will still have approximately 6 westbound lanes merging into 4 westbound lanes around College. Which is better than 6 merging into 3 at Acadian the way it is now.   

The broader project will be a huge impact and we will wonder how we survived without it once it’s done.....but it’s not going to be the silver bullet everyone wants it to be.    I am not even sure there will be space to expand this section beyond 10 lanes in the future.   This might be the only shot to ever widen that section again.   

Rambling now:  

There is a frequently cited study out there that is often misquoted or misunderstood in the media and on countless message boards like this one.  It states that adding lanes entices traffic flow and gridlock is the default state.   A lot of people quote that general statement but ignores the finer points.    The only widening projects that are appropriate are to meet current traffic demand.   This is a theoretical finding based on traffic models that can be tested by updating by a program at the drop of a hat.  But we don’t live in a simulation.   Simply adding lanes only when you need them at the click of a mouse isn’t practical in reality when the lead time on construction planning and funding is measured in decades, not months     

I don’t want this to be considered a complaint against the concept of widening I-10.   The state is finally trying to improve a major infrastructure headache.    It definitely needs to happen for the sake of the state and the capitol area in particular.   I’m simply arguing that it may not go far enough unless they widen the deck enough where it can be easily re-stripped to meet future additional demand without a massive construction headache.  

The state is only widening I-10  just enough to address current traffic needs, not future needs beyond 2030 (which is about when this project will be completed if we are lucky).   I know this is  the textbook example of when highway widening is appropriate and won’t encourage more traffic.    But it’s just not smart in this case given how long it takes to actually get funding and build the lanes through a highly congested urban area.    They are already going to go through this painful process of widening it.   Let’s just add enough space for 2 lanes in both directions instead of 1 in each direction...or at least 1 lane in both directions with a reversible HOV lane to downtown.  

If this was a suburban highway (one not used for hurricane evacuations or linking two geographically isolated major metro areas in relatively close proximity) where an extra lane could be fairly easily/cheaply added  in the existing right of way, I wouldn’t support investing more than what was required to meet current traffic demand because it could encourage more sprawl and more traffic.  

But this project is through an urban area that is already extremely difficult to build highways through....and one that can easily support a more dense development pattern that would generate more commuter and commercial traffic.  Most of the land that didn’t flood in 2016 is in the formal city limits of Baton Rouge.    So that’s where employers belong.   That’s where most people should (in theory) live if they could.    That’s where the focus on redevelopment and “densification” should be, with the industrial employers flanking the city on the west side.     The growth is happening either in the suburbs or in the city center...either way the traffic will be flowing on that stretch.  

There are also very few alternative routes from the city to the industrial employers on the West Bank.   And unlike suburban sprawl, we actually need to encourage more economic development downtown and on the industrial facilities on the West Bank.   So we need to improve the main artery supporting those two  employment centers (downtown and the industrial sites on the West Bank).    A new bridge will be added eventually, but that is a multi-billion dollar endeavor.  Once a new bridge is in place around Plaquemine, Louisiana likely won’t ever build another bridge over the Mississippi River.     It’s almost as unlikely to widen an existing bridge given the cost overruns on the Huey Long project in Jefferson.    

IMO, we need to move traffic efficiently to the bridges we have by widening I-10 and Airline as much as we can, and make sure the next (and last) new bridge to be constructed over that river contains more than enough space for the automotive and rail lanes the region will need for the next 100 years.    

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

I think it will help, but drivers won’t really notice until they get added capacity to I-10 west of College Drive.....which is 6-7 years away from completion.    And pure construction hell in the meantime.      
The flyover will definitely help the I-12 W traffic in particular eventually.   The problem is that those commuters are already stopped (or nearly stopped) right around there for morning rush hour tie ups originating several miles ahead at Acadian where it narrows down to 3 westbound lanes.      So by itself, there is a nominal benefit to the having the flyover.   When taken with the other phases of the broader I-10 widening project (that will make traffic move faster through  there at rush hour) it will be very beneficial to have exiting cars not cross those lanes anymore.    Especially when the HOV lanes on I-12 come on line.     I do wish they were increasing I-10 west of college to 10 lanes instead of 8.  Or at least 8 lanes with a reversible center commuter lane.    I know a lot of westbound traffic exits at College, but you will still have approximately 6 westbound lanes merging into 4 westbound lanes around College. Which is better than 6 merging into 3 at Acadian the way it is now.   
The broader project will be a huge impact and we will wonder how we survived without it once it’s done.....but it’s not going to be the silver bullet everyone wants it to be.    I am not even sure there will be space to expand this section beyond 10 lanes in the future.   This might be the only shot to ever widen that section again.   

Rambling now:  

There is a frequently cited study out there that is often misquoted or misunderstood in the media and on countless message boards like this one.  It states that adding lanes entices traffic flow and gridlock is the default state.   A lot of people quote that general statement but ignores the finer points.    The only widening projects that are appropriate are to meet current traffic demand.   This is a theoretical finding based on traffic models that can be tested by updating by a program at the drop of a hat.  But we don’t live in a simulation.   Simply adding lanes only when you need them at the click of a mouse isn’t practical in reality when the lead time on construction planning and funding is measured in decades, not months     
I don’t want this to be considered a complaint against the concept of widening I-10.   The state is finally trying to improve a major infrastructure headache.    It definitely needs to happen for the sake of the state and the capitol area in particular.   I’m simply arguing that it may not go far enough unless they widen the deck enough where it can be easily re-stripped to meet future additional demand without a massive construction headache.  
The state is only widening I-10  just enough to address current traffic needs, not future needs beyond 2030 (which is about when this project will be completed if we are lucky).   I know this is  the textbook example of when highway widening is appropriate and won’t encourage more traffic.    But it’s just not smart in this case given how long it takes to actually get funding and build the lanes through a highly congested urban area.    They are already going to go through this painful process of widening it.   Let’s just add enough space for 2 lanes in both directions instead of 1 in each direction...or at least 1 lane in both directions with a reversible HOV lane to downtown.  
If this was a suburban highway (one not used for hurricane evacuations or linking two geographically isolated major metro areas in relatively close proximity) where an extra lane could be fairly easily/cheaply added  in the existing right of way, I wouldn’t support investing more than what was required to meet current traffic demand because it could encourage more sprawl and more traffic.  
But this project is through an urban area that is already extremely difficult to build highways through....and one that can easily support a more dense development pattern that would generate more commuter and commercial traffic.  Most of the land that didn’t flood in 2016 is in the formal city limits of Baton Rouge.    So that’s where employers belong.   That’s where most people should (in theory) live if they could.    That’s where the focus on redevelopment and “densification” should be, with the industrial employers flanking the city on the west side.     The growth is happening either in the suburbs or in the city center...either way the traffic will be flowing on that stretch.  
There are also very few alternative routes from the city to the industrial employers on the West Bank.   And unlike suburban sprawl, we actually need to encourage more economic development downtown and on the industrial facilities on the West Bank.   So we need to improve the main artery supporting those two  employment centers (downtown and the industrial sites on the West Bank).    A new bridge will be added eventually, but that is a multi-billion dollar endeavor.  Once a new bridge is in place around Plaquemine, Louisiana likely won’t ever build another bridge over the Mississippi River.     It’s almost as unlikely to widen an existing bridge given the cost overruns on the Huey Long project in Jefferson.    

IMO, we need to move traffic efficiently to the bridges we have by widening I-10 and Airline as much as we can, and make sure the next (and last) new bridge to be constructed over that river contains more than enough space for the automotive and rail lanes the region will need for the next 100 years.    
I had to find a way to respond to this while keeping all the text visible somehow lol.

My morning commute luckily didn't involve I-10, I never particularly noticed a significant amount of cars swerving over to get to College Dr. causing enough traffic to warrant this project.

I do believe in induced demand though. So the idea of expanding I-10 to anything beyond 10 lanes is definitely not my idea to alleviate traffic in that stretch. I've never heard anyone quite say that the default state is gridlock, but that the default state is "widen everything and it'll work."

I'd argue that the state isn't widening it to meet traffic demand but public pressure. Or a mix of both. This project, once complete, likely won't change commute time for most people.There's alot of evidence out there that supports induced demand theory, is there anywhere that shows that *only* widening has had a positive effect on traffic flow over an extended period? How do they compare to Boston's central artery, Seattle's burying of their waterfront freeways, etc.

I feel like the massive political capital and time and resources and money would be better spent on other projects supporting I-10 and our current arteries. Not saying that I-10 should never be addressed but I'm severely against a 10 lane freeway cutting through urban Baton Rouge.

You mention that we should be adding density yet you seem to correlate that to more commuter traffic. If true, do you not think that more density would encourage more people in the area to drive or walk or bike there as opposed to driving to a further destination? People who visited (former) Chelsea's under the overpass all seemed to be from the neighborhood or close by. Same with Duvic's. Places like Perkins Rowe seem to have a far worse impact on traffic from my perspective.

Houston has a 26 lane Katy freeway that is bumper to bumper, even in non-peak hours as I've been stuck in traffic on weekend nights, way out near Katy or Memorial. Upgrading LA 1 to a freeway from Port Allen down to I-310 seems like a more complete idea. You can remove much of the traffic from I-10, and it can function as a loop as well as improving infrastructure for the industry on the west bank. I think the idea that we need to increase capacity as much as possible for the bridges is a wrong one. The reason is that we have almost no population on the west bank. If we can move much of that traffic commuting via I-10, to using surface roads or transit, you open up capacity for a percentage of people who can't use either of those means.

Also, in my opinion, one of the main reasons why the Baton Rouge region has such terrible traffic is having to rely on I-10 as an intracity mode of transportation. It should be used for cross town trips or commuting. Not to go from Target to Pluckers.

Is there a reason why mass transit was never mentioned in your reply? I see that as being a major major part of traffic alleviation for the region.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk