Baton Rouge Transportation

ehyfield

The RED route should be choice #1....though Brusly residents didn't want it in their community.  That proposed route would be just far enough away to appease them.

What do you think about the Route tying into Hwy 415 dead-end w new Intracoastal Waterway Bridge?  Guessing going further West might be safer bet? I like how you have it hooking back up w Hwy 190

The "Orange" route would be a nice compromise

Hate to break it to them..but the Iberville/Ourso Yellow route looks afflicted

Thanks for drawing that up :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, cajun said:

color_map.jpg

Three alternatives proposed for the new bridge.   The lowest crossing (yellow) is what Iberville Parish leaders want.   The red crossing is what West Baton Rouge wants.    The orange is the most obvious crossing to anyone with half a brain and happens to be an excellent compromise.

3 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

I prefer the red line, seems like the other two choices would make a de facto loop. 

I would take any of them over no bridge at all, but IMO the yellow one is the worst option if the goal is to aid in traffic congestion in the Baton Rouge area.   It's closer to the Sunshine Bridge (which has no traffic congestion) than the I-10 bridge.   Iberville clearly wants this because it will help with economic development the most in their parish or possibly enrich the "right" landowners.   

I'm okay with the orange route because it's likely the cheapest and nearest to the largest employer on the west bank by far (DOW), and I think it best serves the areas on the west side that will be growing the most in the future.    It's close enough to the I-10 bridge to be an alternative route and keep commerce flowing when there are tie ups, and will get a huge amount of the plant traffic off of LA1 and I10.

The red route favored by WBR has the most obstacles on both sides of the river.  It's the most costly but is indisputably the best route for getting traffic off of the I-10 bridge.   It also cuts through some development-friendly land in Baton Rouge in an inconvenient way.   It's the worst route for boosting economic development on the west bank.  

14 hours ago, richyb83 said:

What do you think about the Route tying into Hwy 415 dead-end w new Intracoastal Waterway Bridge?  Guessing going further West might be safer bet? I like how you have it hooking back up w Hwy 190

There's already a plan to tie LA415 to LA1 as a surface road.   

The west bank is appropriate for development in the following ways:  

1.  Residential - Brusly/Addis/Port Allen/190 corridor/Rosedale
2. Industrial - Primarily south of Plaquemine, east of LA1
3.  Airport/Military - Anywhere adjacent to highway to the west of the above areas

capturebr.jpg

All of the above are needed for Baton Rouge to grow into a major metro area, and all 3 options would help accomplish that.    IMO the northernmost crossing is the best for existing parts of Baton Rouge.  The orange route is the best route for how Baton Rouge will inevitably grow.   The yellow crossing is mostly benefiting the west bank.

It's important to remember that none of these routes will change the unavoidable need for widening I-10 through Baton Rouge or improving Airline Highway.    Those needs will not go away until Airline starts moving, a capacity enhancement is completed for I-10, and some minor enhancements (like a Hooper Road Bridge, a partial freeway exit at Bluff Rd/Old Perkins, etc.)     The new bridge proposals are critical for both the existing Baton Rouge area and the future Baton Rouge metropolitan region, but they won't change the fact that almost all other infrastructure has been ignored.  

Sadly, both the new bridge and major enhancements to the existing grid are needed.  There is no denying that the bulk of the industrial development will occur south of the city and likely west of the river.   The area needs better infrastructure.   It may as well benefit the Baton Rouge region as a whole and be tied into a southern and western edge of a bypass.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cajun said:

There's already a plan to tie LA415 to LA1 as a surface road. 

I know...just trying to get the most bang for the buck $$$....just  Can't see them ever building  2 new Intracoastal Waterway Bridges....just One new bridge is asking a lot for this financially Ca$h strapped state.

Maybe they will also revisit the Westbank Expressway paralleling La1/Industrial Corridor..that would go all the way down to I-310 in St.Charles Parish (Luling/Hahnville) ....a win-win...for the Largest Metro & Hurricane Evacuation Routes..but i'm sure there will be multiple studies that take at least 10 more years<_<

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, richyb83 said:

I know...just trying to get the most bang for the buck $$$....just  Can't see them ever building  2 new Intracoastal Waterway Bridges....just One new bridge is asking a lot for this financially Ca$h strapped state.

Maybe they will also revisit the Westbank Expressway paralleling La1/Industrial Corridor..that would go all the way down to I-310 in St.Charles Parish (Luling/Hanhnville) ....a win-win...for the Largest Metro & Hurricane Evacuation Routes..but i'm sure there will be multiple studies that take at least 10 more years<_<

I think a freeway link to I-10 in WBR to 3127 in Donaldsonville would be ideal.   

With the natural deepwater access, the lower Mississippi Valley can look like bay area in 40 years if we had any forward thinkers in government.   The area needs better transportation infrastructure.  For starters, good highways that parallel the river on either side and a bridge crossing somewhere between the Sunshine bridge and I-10 would go a long way to developing those key mega sites.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2017 at 10:11 PM, cajun said:

I think a freeway link to I-10 in WBR to 3127 in Donaldsonville would be ideal.   

With the natural deepwater access, the lower Mississippi Valley can look like bay area in 40 years if we had any forward thinkers in government.   The area needs better transportation infrastructure.  For starters, good highways that parallel the river on either side and a bridge crossing somewhere between the Sunshine bridge and I-10 would go a long way to developing those key mega sites.

you should go to the public meetings when they start. It would be awesome if you could explain this to people.

1 hour ago, mr. bernham said:

you should go to the public meetings when they start. It would be awesome if you could explain this to people.

It's as obvious to me as it is to you.   The least flood-risk in south Louisiana is on the natural levees adjacent to the river.   If the region wants to grow, it has to start developing more along the river like the old days.   That area between Baton Rouge and New Orleans along the river is attracting industrial and institutional employers despite the lack of man-made infrastructure.   The River itself provides a means of moving freight that no road or rail could match anyway.   

It wasn't long ago that San Mateo, San Carlos, Milbrea, etc.  were the size of Donaldsonville and Plaquemine today.  It wasn't that long ago that Baton Rouge was a small town like that either.  

The region may never be a tech capital like the bay area, but having development-appropriate land with deep water access near one of the largest rivers in the world should make the state a good choice for manufacturing, processing, and shipping.     Oil and gas prices won't be low forever.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

It's as obvious to me as it is to you.   The least flood-risk in south Louisiana is on the natural levees adjacent to the river.   If the region wants to grow, it has to start developing more along the river like the old days.   That area between Baton Rouge and New Orleans along the river is attracting industrial and institutional employers despite the lack of man-made infrastructure.   The River itself provides a means of moving freight that no road or rail could match anyway.   
It wasn't long ago that San Mateo, San Carlos, Milbrea, etc.  were the size of Donaldsonville and Plaquemine today.  It wasn't that long ago that Baton Rouge was a small town like that either.  
The region may never be a tech capital like the bay area, but having development-appropriate land with deep water access near one of the largest rivers in the world should make the state a good choice for manufacturing, processing, and shipping.     Oil and gas prices won't be low forever.   

Hasn't Houston taken the advantage of growth in those industries since the Panama Canal widening?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DOTD unveils bold plan to dismantle I-10 bridge and relocate it to New Orleans

Since taxpayers don't trust state government to be good stewards with their hard earned dollars, Louisiana's Department of Transportation has come up with a novel way to reallocate tax dollars that have already been collected for infrastructure in the last 100 years.    

"It's in the best interest of the state to relocate critical infrastructure to New Orleans", said DOTD Engineer Helen Mirren.    "The rest of the state doesn't really matter, so we decided to just put all of our eggs in the New Orleans basket even though Baton Rouge is the only city in the state to post consistent gains in job growth every quarter for the last 25 years."

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Load limits lowered on La. 1 Intracoastal Waterway Bridge for repairs of recently discovered deficiencies

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/communities/westside/article_2f369822-159b-11e7-9dcb-6bdbbfa3fe4d.html

The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development has lowered the load limit for vehicles using the La. 1 Intracoastal Waterway Bridge in Port Allen. 

State officials announced the change Thursday after several deficiencies were uncovered by state inspectors during a routine bridge inspection. 

The new limit is now 15 to 25 tons for both northbound and southbound vehicles until repairs can be made.

"This is unfortunate and inconvenient for the commercial trucks, and the industries they serve, that depend on this bridge and this route," DOTD Secretary Shawn Wilson said in a news release.   

I think I could put up with the corruption, stupidity, and race baiting that comes out of Louisiana's state government if they actually performed the duties that taxpayers expect from them.    They were warned over 20 years ago that this bridge was functionally obsolete and an alternative route was critical to handle the job growth in the area.    Less than 5 years ago, they were warned that it was structurally deficient and was rated "F".    It remains the only route across the manmade Intracoastal waterway that cuts West Baton Rouge in half.  

Now there is evidence of major structural issues and big rigs can no longer cross the waterway.   They instead have to go around on a 55 mile detour because the state got out of the road building business 40 years ago when it comes to the capital area, which has seen consistent growth despite the lack of investment.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

Hard not to be negative sometimes..but that is ridiculous!  Seems the norm for Louisiana; always late to the party.  Retro-active instead of Pro-active

And we are wanting/needing a 2nd (New) Bridge for the Intracoastal Waterway ...when One is not even being properly maintained!

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

CATS' big plans for north Baton Rouge bus system hub: Ride, bike sharing; even grocery, retail stores

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_16664e9e-2466-11e7-b0fd-77fd28ea416f.html

Transit leaders are preparing to build a new transportation hub in north Baton Rouge and are hoping to include options for bike sharing and ride sharing companies as well as city buses.

The board of the Capital Area Transit System agreed Tuesday to buy 2.5 acres owned by LSU near the intersection of Airline Highway and North Foster Drive. The land is next to the Our Lady of the Lake facility where an emergency room is scheduled to open later this year.

A little more than a quarter of all CATS trips pass through the north hub, emphasizing the need to make the stop more efficient and safe, said CEO Bill Deville.

The land for the new hub has been appraised at $238,000, said CATS chief financial officer Conner Burns. However, the cost of building a new facility on the vacant lot has not been determined. Federal grants are expected to cover 80 percent of the project costs, and CATS officials expect to pay their share with money squirreled away in the general fund, augmented by sponsorships and possibly private donations.

Mismanaged CATS is apparently serious about appearing busy in front of taxpayers and riders.   IMO this is a very bad location for a north hub.   If they want it on Airline, it should be immediately adjacent to an intersection with a traffic signal.   This doesn't offer that pretty important piece of infrastructure.   That's probably why it hasn't been developed yet.

I hope that they can get access to McCleland across the LSU property behind the new ER.   Without that, they really picked a terrible spot.   

Edited by cajun

WBR frustrated with traffic mayhem

http://www.wafb.com/story/35209369/wbr-frustrated-with-traffic-mayhem

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) -

Following this week's crash that resulted in the closure of I-10 in West Baton Rouge Parish, many are wondering why there isn't another bridge to get around in the area.

"We have to change our lifestyle just to try to work around these things and it's something that should have been taken care of long ago," said West Baton Rouge Parish President Riley "Peewee" Berthelot.

Berthelot said it's decades of frustration that's been boiling over. His desktop is live cameras of I-10 over the Horace Wilkinson Bridge (New Bridge).

"We've been talking about these things for 15 to 20 years and we just need to get something done," Berthelot added.

This is the second evening rush hour in a row where a very serious accident involving big rigs closed down I-10 in both directions around LA415.     Both times involve trucks not stopping fast enough when they reach the stationary traffic caused by the wait to get through the single lane I-10/I-110 choke point across the river.

The bridge is basically impassable between 4 and 6 every weekday from the west side.   

Three things would help solve this:  

1.  Widen I-10 between the I-10/I-110 merge point to 4 lanes in both directions and add shoulders while changing the bank angle of the curve at this interchange for I-10E and moving the Washington Street exit to the inside lane of I-110.   This would keep traffic moving and eliminate the tie ups during rush hour while helping maintain continuous 50 mph flow during non-peak hours.   

2.  Widen I-10 between about a mile west of LA415 and LA-1 to 3 lanes in either direction.  There's ample right of way available for this.   This will help cut down on the stacking and the lengths of the backups when they do occur.   It would also help keep traffic clear enough during non-peak hours for trucks to gain speed and momentum for the incline on the bridge approach.   

3.  Add a center divider with a very wide inside shoulder to I-10 between LA1 and a point about a mile west of LA415.   This prevents deadly crossover accidents and adds a new, paved shoulder wide enough for a big rig to use.  The cross section, lane widths, and shoulder widths as well as wall height should match the newly widened I-12 sections in Livingston.   Crossover accidents are very common when a big rig encounters stopped traffic.   Eastbound traffic is often stopped around LA415 as drivers queue up for the I-10/I-110 curve during rush hour.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

I agree that it's a bad spot, the only plus I could see is if they install a stop light at the entrance light they did for the Coca-Cola plant on Plank Rd. 

I much prefer the shopping center on Airline and Hollywood St. I'm not exactly sure how it would fit but there seems to be enough room and also the possibility of bringing better quality retail to that center. You could have a defacto mix-use development there.  

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work Cajun!  Like the way you extended the route south of I-10 to Sunshine Bridge!  An I-10/12 Connector is so badly needed...have mentioned here on UP so many times in the past figured y'all were sick of hearing about  it LOL

Construction over the watershed of the Amite River Basin could get tricky with elevated roadway acting as Dam backing water up..(they learned this hardcore lesson with old Florida Blvd/Hwy190 & I-12 bridges years ago.....More elevated roadway ; less berm .

The route north of I-12 would be a bit tricky but doable not effecting too many residences, businesses, etc

6 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Nice work Cajun!  Like the way you extended the route south of I-10 to Sunshine Bridge!  An I-10/12 Connector is so badly needed...have mentioned here on UP so many times in the past figured y'all were sick of hearing about  it LOL

Construction over the watershed of the Amite River Basin could get tricky with elevated roadway acting as Dam backing water up..(they learned this hardcore lesson with old Florida Blvd/Hwy190 & I-12 bridges years ago.....More elevated roadway ; less berm .

The route north of I-12 would be a bit tricky but doable not effecting too many residences, businesses, etc

I figured that the northern connector to highway 16 would provide a nice alternative route to I-12 and I-55 in the Florida parishes.   Would probably require some upgrades to highway 16 too.   Many sections south of I-12 would have to be elevated.

The connector near I-12 would be an ideal spot for a new airport.   Livingston and Ascension are going to grow a lot in the near future especially as the two major metros in the state merge.

This route would also be an ideal northern terminus for a future highway that links the Baton Rouge metro to Bayou LaFourche region (Thibodeaux and Houma).    Houma is a critical part of the nation's offshore oil and gas infrastructure.   It grows like a weed when oil prices are stable, and it doesn't have a decent freeway connection to the capital city or to the delta region.

Edited by cajun

• 2 months later...

SWB's new BTR plan is a dud.   It proposes a raise in property taxes (which has never been popular) during a time when NOBODY trusts city or parish government.    Her plan is vague at best, and doesn't really do much to help traffic or infrastructure.   

If you are proposing a hike in property taxes that will last a generation, you damn well better be prepared to solve the traffic and infrastructure issues for the next generation - and you'd better set the priority for projects that will not only receive a commitment from local taxpayers but a priority for local legislators to obtain state and federal assistance - especially with state and federal highways. 

This is essentially what she needed to propose (in addition to the beautification and sidewalks she wants):

• Yellow - two lane curb and gutter street with center turn lane, bike lanes, sidewalks, and street lights
  • Red - 4 lane curb and gutter street with center turn lane, bike lanes, sidewalks, and street lights or 4 lane curb and gutter road with raised grass median with street lights
  • Orange - 6 lane curb and gutter street with center turn lane and street lights or 6 lane curb and gutter road with raised grass median with street lights
  • Purple - 8 lane curb and gutter street with center turn lane and street lights or 8 lane curb and gutter road with raised grass median with street lights

Northern1.png

Central1.png

Southern1.png

The duration of the tax should be 30 years, and she needs to use an anticipated growth rate of 0.50% per year in property taxes and 0.75% per year in sales taxes.

The state projects like Airline, Highway 30, or 61 should be lower priority than the local routes awaiting future state and federal matching dollars.

The tax should include a provision that any time the state or feds match funds, the local tax dollars that would have covered the gap is re-allocated to sidewalks, decorative street lights, bike lanes, landscaping, and other beautification improvements.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 4

Cajun...I have said this before....you need to send this proposal to a City Leader...really nice work! 

Old Hammond Hwy & Lee Drive really stand out...but too many to talk about now.

The Midway Ave. connector can no longer go south of the R.R. to Perkins Road bec of the new narrow subdivision the just built...silly on their part...it's like they didn't see this  proposed route ??

Edited by richyb83

21 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Cajun...I have said this before....you need to send this proposal to a City Leader...really nice work! 

Old Hammond Hwy & Lee Drive really stand out...but too many to talk about now.

The Midway Ave. connector can no longer go south of the R.R. to Perkins Road bec of the new narrow subdivision the just built...silly on their part...it's like they didn't see this  proposed route ??

Doesn't the parish own the strip behind the houses between those two developments?