Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Sprouts Farmers Market grocery will have a location at 5821 Nolensville Pike in the former Tusculum Ace Hardware  (23,000 sq. ft.). Cor3 Design will handle the architectural redesign.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/south-davidson-county-eyed-for-sprouts/article_ad3d618e-959c-11ec-a485-7ba2ba0567cf.html

• Like 3

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Hudson Automotive has paid $1.25 million for 5.34 acres at 1715 Murfreesboro Pike.  No word on their specific plans for the site.  It is about 2 miles NE of their new primary HQ fro Beaman Automotive at Harding Place and I-24.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/s-c-car-dealership-business-buys-in-south-davidson-county/article_264a6e14-9827-11ec-807f-7f87b6a11ca6.html

369857220_ScreenShot2022-02-28at7_25_50AM.png

Long live the peace sign!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, markhollin said:

Sprouts Farmers Market grocery will have a location at 5821 Nolensville Pike in the former Tusculum Ace Hardware  (23,000 sq. ft.). Cor3 Design will handle the architectural redesign.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/south-davidson-county-eyed-for-sprouts/article_ad3d618e-959c-11ec-a485-7ba2ba0567cf.html

Drove by the there today and the hardware store is no more.  There's a lot of activity on that stretch of N'vill Rd south of OHB.  There's the apartment/condo building going up next to Sprouts, Edley's restaurant going up across the street from Lenox and more apartments on the south side of Lenox

• Like 3

Century South will be a 184 acre, mixed-use development featuring 964 residential units (apartments & townhomes) and 512,000 sq. ft. of office space that will be located SE of Century Farms. to be undertaken by Tribute Company.

A new road will be created to allow Century South improved access to I-24 (and running parallel to the interstate). Century South will also offer access via Old Franklin Road and Old Hickory Boulevard.

The undeveloped land is already zoned for mixed-use, so no rezoning will be needed.  Barge Design is involved with the architecture and engineering. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/mixed-use-project-eyed-for-south-davidson-county/article_f6ad0ba4-a167-11ec-8b87-1f0484236025.html

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 3.03.07 PM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

1025018553_CenturySouthMarch112022sitemap.png

• Like 3

For those that can’t read the article and are wondering why this came out of the blue is because this PUD was done way back in 1984 and revised in 2003. I have been following this one for a while.

Since this was a pre approved PUD it did not have to go in front of council. The office buildings are 4 stories max and the apartments are 3 story max. This is a 4 phase project as well.

I have to say the Council person in this district is all over it. That is Antoinette Lee. She seems to be very active in the community and does a lot of community meetings. She would be a good At large candidate when the time comes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two new industrial buildings totaling 717,000 sq. ft. of space are being built at 600 and 700 Airpark Commerce Drive on 75 acres in Una near Antioch. Two permits with a cumulative $39.4 million value have been granted fro construction. Dalfen Industrial is the developer; Alston Construction is the contractor.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/work-to-start-on-industrial-project-near-airport/article_46d2a7d6-aa16-11ec-aaf0-9b8c5a11eb82.html

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 8.17.51 AM.png

• Like 2

Hickory Hollow Mall/Global Mall at the Crossings could soon become home to a Vanderbilt University Medical Center, similar to the one they have at One Hundred Oaks Mall.  Metro Government is planning on buying the 650,000 sq. ft. structure, and adjacent office building, and all the surface lots on the site for $44 million,  and then leasing 600,000 sq. ft. fo VUMC.

Joy Styles, Metro Council member for the district states, "I am also elated that with the purchase of the mall, we can now have a permanent arts space, an Antioch Performing Arts Center, to bring arts to Antioch."

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/abandoned-antioch-mall-to-be-new-vumc-site/article_1f661e4a-aae2-11ec-96ec-b36df93c7b81.html

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/23/hickory-hollow-mall.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=3#cxrecs_s

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 3.16.11 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand this purchase by Metro government.  why didn't Vanderbilt just buy the mall for their offices if they are leasing 600K of the 650K mall space?  I have stayed in this area before and know the mall has been dead for a long time.  But is the long range plan a mixed use development there? 

From the Biz Journal:

""Mayor John Cooper and district 32 council member Joy Styles announced the news today in a press release, saying the city would pay a combined $44 million for the mall itself, as well as an adjacent office building.  Metro has signed a letter of intent with Vanderbilt University Medical Center to lease 600,000 of the mall’s total 650,000 square feet for health care-related services, the news release said.  Revenue from the “long-term” lease is expected to help offset Metro’s purchase costs, according to the statement. The city says it will pay $24 million for the mall and $20 million for the office building.""

• Like 2

Good question... and it'd be nice if the public could count on media to investigate, but it looks like a "classic" case of a local government underwriting (a form of a loan) for one of the city's BIG DOGS, in this case the largest private employer. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Did I remember correctly that the man who bought Hickory Hollow mall about 10 years ago paid some ridiculously low price for it? Anyone here have the deets on that deal? 

Yes, CBL & Assoc. sold the 600k+ sq ft of the interior mall to the Aggarwals for $1M in 2012 after they expressed interest in only buying a small section for a medical office, essentially making them mall owners by happenstance.

Supposedly, they tried to put it up for sale in 2014 with CBRE, but maybe a better sleuth can see if it sold. I don’t see any proof that it did… 

Then, in 2019 tenants were told to vacate due to “pending construction” around the time Freeland expressed interest in the property. 

So it has supposedly been vacant since then?

In March ‘19, Metro Codes found violations ranging from “dangerous” potholes to graffiti, junk, and debris.  I can’t say I frequent the place, but I cannot imagine that the Aggarwals or their company invested even close to the difference in price that Metro is looking to pay. 

So, I wonder if this $24M is appropriately valued.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1