The Milk District

RedStar25

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

People should be prepared to be disappointed in what it becomes. Owners aren't going to take some low ball offer so someone can sell candles out of it or whatever.

Agreed.  Personally, I'd like the building to stay since its become such a focal point of the district, but that's wishful thinking.

I'm just cringing at these suggestions.  Everything from a parking garage, to a bar, to a vegan cakery.  IMO the spaces isn't even big enough to hold a restaurant.  

It also highlighted to me how little people pay attention to what's going on around the District.  There were a ton of complaints about a lack of parking which made me chuckle because the last rendering I saw of Robinson St eliminated that whole bank of parking on the street itself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, codypet said:

Agreed.  Personally, I'd like the building to stay since its become such a focal point of the district, but that's wishful thinking.

I'm just cringing at these suggestions.  Everything from a parking garage, to a bar, to a vegan cakery.  IMO the spaces isn't even big enough to hold a restaurant.  

It also highlighted to me how little people pay attention to what's going on around the District.  There were a ton of complaints about a lack of parking which made me chuckle because the last rendering I saw of Robinson St eliminated that whole bank of parking on the street itself.

This begs a silly question: why has the Orlando Housing Authority let that lot on the northwest corner of Bumby and Robinson sit vacant for so long?  I know it was part of a housing authority master plan when they redeveloped the Hampton Park site years ago, but in a region with a severe shortage of affordable housing you'd think that lot would host something there by now.  You could build affordable/subsidised housing attached to a  publicly-available parking deck which would solve all of the parking challenges of the area.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 15.34.00.png

Edited by jliv
  • Like 3

Atrium is the broker apparently and that's the group who is building the Mike Stacks (which I'll get more pics for you once the sewer is in)

They seem to be trying to pull an NRE and getting the community hyped for what could go in that spot.  

I'm just so skeptical and agree with @popsiclebrandonprobably something boring.  Even if it is boring, I really want it to keep that look.

The problem with something small and mom and pop is just how tough surviving is especially with that upfront cost.  Look at that brewery that's supposed to go up where the dry cleaner was on South. 

Or all the other businesses that have had a tough go of it in the area:

• Peaceful Peacock has been frustrated with the constant moving.
  • F&D was closed years longer than intended.
  • Market on South just died.
  • Pom pom is pleading for their customers to return.
  • Primrose Pet looks like it might actually survive its latest hurdles but they had a ton of problems as of late.
Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, codypet said:

IMO the spaces isn't even big enough to hold a restaurant.  

I was hoping they could combine the Hoods Up lot with the white warehouse building next to it for more space, e.g. brewery in the warehouse and a taproom in the Hoods Up building.

Or maybe a small local chain like the miniature Gringo's next door.

But I can also see Floyd's rubbing their hands together to convert another abandoned auto repair place into a barbershop. 

41 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

I was hoping they could combine the Hoods Up lot with the white warehouse building next to it for more space, e.g. brewery in the warehouse and a taproom in the Hoods Up building.

Or maybe a small local chain like the miniature Gringo's next door.

But I can also see Floyd's rubbing their hands together to convert another abandoned auto repair place into a barbershop. 

Gringos actually uses the white warehouse for food prep and storage.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, smileguy said:

Storage only -- and more for personal storage for the owners, and less restaurant specific.  But changes are coming. 🔮 

Ohhh interesting.  I thought it was a supplement to the Burger King building on Lee Road.

image.thumb.png.74f4e4f8caa7ad490dc9eeb53d1ad509.png

Edited by codypet

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently there has been a hot, burning controversy involving the former Colonial Lanes, now renamed Primrose Lanes.

Or more specifically, the prices.

Especially the food prices. 

The price of their hot dog in particular.

Someone on social media complained about them charging $15 for a hot dog ($20 with fries) and it started a whole thing.

Apparently it's pretty expensive to bowl there, too. Someone mentioned the figure of $200 for four people to bowl for two hours. 

I think that works out to $25 per hour per person.

Things sure ain't what they used to be.

Anyway, I also listened to a taped episode (YouTube) of a local morning radio show (104.1) from a couple of days or so ago in which they spent a few minutes talking about the hot dog issue.

According to the radio folk (who probably got theirs for free in return for talking the place up) their weiners are huge (snicker) -  (that was for spenser), made fresh on the premises using prime cuts of beef etc, on a brioche bun, etc, etc.

I did some checking and took some screenshots of the DIQ (dog in question). 

Here's some pics...

primdog-3.jpg

While it's pretty big and looks mighty tasty, I don't know if I'd pay $20 (with fries) for it more than once.

The entire menu with prices...

Screenshot-20230813-203438-2.jpg

Paying $15 for a hot dog ($20 with fries) is one thing, but there's a damned $35 pastrami sandwich on there too!!!! :shok:

The old Colonial Lanes menu for price comparison. 

Screenshot-20230813-203631-2.jpg

Who knows. Maybe I might get the urge to blow a $20 bill on a big hot dog (and fries) one day.

Oh, and here's a link to the reddit page where they're cussin' and discussin' about it....

:thumbsup:

Edited by JFW657
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So apparently there has been a hot, burning controversy involving the former Colonial Lanes, now renamed Primrose Lanes.

Someone on social media complained about them charging $15 for a hot dog ($20 with fries) and it started a whole thing.

Apparently it's pretty expensive to bowl there, too. Someone mentioned the figure of $200 for four people to bowl for two hours. 

Anyway, I also listened to a taped episode (YouTube) of a local morning radio show (104.1) from a couple of days or so ago in which they spent a few minutes talking about the hot dog issue.

According to the radio folk (who probably got theirs for free in return for talking the place up) their weiners are huge (snicker) -  (that was for spenser), made fresh on the premises using prime cuts of beef etc, on a brioche bun, etc, etc.

Here's some pics...

primdog-3.jpg

While it's pretty big and looks mighty tasty, I don't know if I'd pay $20 (with fries) for it more than once.

Paying $15 for a hot dog ($20 with fries) is one thing, but there's a damned $35 pastrami sandwich on there too!!!! :shok:

Who knows. Maybe I might get the urge to blow a $20 bill on a big hot dog (and fries) one day.

Oh, and here's a link to the reddit page where they're cussin' and discussin' about it....

Or you can go to Hot Dog Heaven and get the same thing for under $6.  But it doesn’t look as cool on Instagram.

There’s a price point for everyone, and for some this may be fine. But I am always turned off by a place that charges big bucks and can’t even include a side item. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere around 25 years ago we had my son's 9th? 10th?  birthday party there. It was a little gritty (so much dust on the vents, I'm thinking you could still smoke indoors then? or at least at the bar?) Anyway, the kids had a blast and that's all that matters. 

Here's where the old lady in me comes out...this seems too chi chi for a bowling alley but I guess that's the point? 

Edited by angela1117
wrong to
  • Like 1

Unfortunately from my vantage point is the expectation from a lot of people I know was that they expected the vibe from the old Colonial Lanes.  My friend who was involved from the beginning made it clear to me the bowling experience was going to be secondary to the whole place.  Especially when I tried to get an old Colonial Lanes Ball.  (they tossed the old balls)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Here's some pics...

primdog-3.jpg

I understand the surprise but this seems to be restaurant quality food at a bowling alley. With that in mind, the prices seem about right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Here's some pics...

primdog-3.jpg

Wow, those are great DIQ pics!  Yep, 'ole @spenser1058was a dirty dog indeed...gotta love it...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jack said:

I understand the surprise but this seems to be restaurant quality food at a bowling alley. With that in mind, the prices seem about right. 

I think that was the concept: upscale cocktail bar and nicer restaurant that happens to have some bowling lanes and a pro shop.

I did see on Instagram that the Primrose Lanes chefs grind and smoke the sausage in-house with choice cuts and upgraded buns. You can't really compare that to Hot Dog Heaven's out-of-the-bag skinless Vienna Beef hot dogs on a processed bun.

That said, the bowling prices will keep me going to Boardwalk for actual bowling. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, codypet said:

Unfortunately from my vantage point is the expectation from a lot of people I know was that they expected the vibe from the old Colonial Lanes.  My friend who was involved from the beginning made it clear to me the bowling experience was going to be secondary to the whole place.  Especially when I tried to get an old Colonial Lanes Ball.  (they tossed the old balls)

@JFW657.  LOL.  where is @spenser1058to comment on that one!  

11 minutes ago, orlandocity87 said:

I think that was the concept: upscale cocktail bar and nicer restaurant that happens to have some bowling lanes and a pro shop.

I did see on Instagram that the Primrose Lanes chefs grind and smoke the sausage in-house with choice cuts and upgraded buns. You can't really compare that to Hot Dog Heaven's out-of-the-bag skinless Vienna Beef hot dogs on a processed bun.

That said, the bowling prices will keep me going to Boardwalk for actual bowling. 

Omg. who would've thought that a simple commentary about hot dogs at a bowling alley would be so much fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, codypet said:

The timing also makes a huge difference on the price. The fact is the last 2 to 3 years, the inflation has been massive. I used to be able to go through Taco Bell for $5-7 but now its usually $9-11 for the same thing. McDonalds is the same thing, my old go to meal would cost under $5.... today its $9. It looks like at Colonial Lanes, the old hotdog was $6 on the 9" bun... accounting for price increases similar to McDonalds and Taco Bell, I'd expect if they didn't even upgrade the meal, it would be $11... The places that didn't hike prices drastically decreased food portions or quality, such as Zaxbys where I can't even bare to go anymore.... Its clearly been upgraded to a more "premium" meal, so a $4 price increase doesn't seem crazy at all. Its Bidenomics at work.

31 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

@JFW657.  LOL.  where is @spenser1058to comment on that one!  

Omg. who would've thought that a simple commentary about hot dogs at a bowling alley would be so much fun!

Simple??? 

Duuuude..... there was nothing "simple" about that post!!! 

Taking several screenshots, cropping, resizing and merging three together into one pic, searching back through the sources to make sure I got the info correct, composing the text, uploading the pics to my image hosting site in order, placing the pictures in between the proper text passages in such a way as to make them correspond, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not saying it was rocket science, but I did put a few minutes into it.

Just sayin'..... ;) 

But yeah, this is a fun topic. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, aent said:

The timing also makes a huge difference on the price. The fact is the last 2 to 3 years, the inflation has been massive. I used to be able to go through Taco Bell for $5-7 but now its usually $9-11 for the same thing. McDonalds is the same thing, my old go to meal would cost under $5.... today its $9. It looks like at Colonial Lanes, the old hotdog was $6 on the 9" bun... accounting for price increases similar to McDonalds and Taco Bell, I'd expect if they didn't even upgrade the meal, it would be $11... The places that didn't hike prices drastically decreased food portions or quality, such as Zaxbys where I can't even bare to go anymore.... Its clearly been upgraded to a more "premium" meal, so a $4 price increase doesn't seem crazy at all. Its Bidenomics at work.

Ask I read through the post, and knowing who the author is, I was wondering when (not if) I'd get to the obligatory Biden blaming. 

Because, let's just ignore all the other outside factors involved.

And of course, the "nice guys" who run corporate America would never stoop to taking advantage of the news regarding inflation by engaging in artificial price hiking a bit for the sake of some good old fashioned profiteering.

Noooooooooo.  

Never.

They're just nice guys and gals who only want us to save our money!!!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Simple??? 

Duuuude..... there was nothing "simple" about that post!!! 

Taking several screenshots, cropping, resizing and merging three together into one pic, searching back through the sources to make sure I got the info correct, composing the text, uploading the pics to my image hosting site in order, placing the pictures in between the proper text passages in such a way as to make them correspond, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not saying it was rocket science, but I did put a few minutes into it.

Just sayin'..... ;) 

But yeah, this is a fun topic. :thumbsup:

...that was pretty impressive...(the effort)...

• Thanks 1