Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Wow, this plan is impressive! I especially like all of the trails planned for the are between Laurens Rd., I-385 and Hillside Dr. That area is nothing but woods are rather hilly, so it oughta make some nice mountain bike trails. Besides, it's in my neighborhood. :)

The Greenville News ran an article about the Greenway plan this morning:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2007710090352

Thought this was a great quote from the article. This project is going to hopefully fast track! :thumbsup:

"We want to build the trails that are fastest and easiest first," he said. "Then, once people get to use those, they'll hunger for more."

The Greenville News ran an article about the Greenway plan this morning:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2007710090352

Thanks, JCT! I'm looking forward to the Travelers Rest - Furman link being complete by the end of the year!

Not sure if anybody else saw this blurb on the side margin, but...

You can help with the Greenville

Hospital System Swamp Rabbit

Tram Trail on Wednesday from 9

a.m. to 2 p.m. Work groups will

pick up debris leftover from the

rail and railroad tie removal along

the trail section from Traveler

• 2 months later...

^ Thanks.

Gsupstate, as I suspected, the answer is no to your qeustion about marking on the greenway. They want to minimize sign clutter on the trail so that people can enjoy the natural surroundings. Donors will get a plaque as mentioned and will also be recogonized at special events.

Gsupstate, as I suspected, the answer is no to your qeustion about marking on the greenway. They want to minimize sign clutter on the trail so that people can enjoy the natural surroundings. Donors will get a plaque as mentioned and will also be recogonized at special events.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Sent the form in this past week. Such a great idea!

• 1 month later...

Buy your own section of a Greenville County Greenway trail. This is an interesting idea for raising funds for the greenway system. You can read more here:

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2007/12...lle-county.html

I received my plaque a couple of weeks ago, and I visited my 25-foot section this weekend. It's near the women's softball diamond, just past the old train car. :shades:

th_90627_Trail-Plaque-front_122_713lo.jpg th_90632_Trail-Plaque-rear_122_1059lo.jpg

Now, I'm expecting y'all to keep my section free of litter! I may not make it up there that often to pick up trash. :silly:

I received my plaque a couple of weeks ago, and I visited my 25-foot section this weekend. It's near the women's softball diamond, just past the old train car. :shades:

th_90627_Trail-Plaque-front_122_713lo.jpg th_90632_Trail-Plaque-rear_122_1059lo.jpg

Now, I'm expecting y'all to keep my section free of litter! I may not make it up there that often to pick up trash. :silly:

I just picked mine up too, but I haven't visited the section yet. It looks like it is right outside of city limits not too far from Newton park. I can't wait to go check it out.

By the way, did everyone see that the City Council officially adopted the Trails and Greenways Master Plan last week? Read a little more here:

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2008/02...-good-news.html

Edited by JCT

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a neat happening announced by Ty Houck:

Tuesday February 26th all day, weather permitting we will be doing a demonstration of Roadzyme. Engineers will be on-site all day next Tuesday for questions.

Roadzyme is a road building product that is:

• non-toxic, made from sugar beet extract
  • will not leach a pollutant like asphalt
  • significantly less expensive than asphalt
  • environmentally friendly
  • quick and easy to install

The demonstration site is at the southern end of the Furman lake across the dam. Park at the public parking at the student center and take the short walk over the dam, at the end of the road is an access gate to the trail (edit: this is where the Doughboy used to be located - there's now a garden mirror ball or something of that nature there).

This is an exciting green product that we want your opinion on so hope to see you there.

Ty Houck

Director of Greenways, Natural and Historic Resources

Edited by RestedTraveler