Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 3 weeks later...

We just moved here from Orlando FL, where there are also trails being build over old rail lines. We moved up here because it was more affordable, and we were lured to Taylors-Greeenville by the beauty of Falls Park downtown and the closeness to Paris Mountain St. Park. Now that there is going to be a trail sytem here makes me even more glad that I moved. I hope that there will be trails linking Taylors and Paris Mountain. Maybe through St. Park Road and Mountain Creek Church Road areas?

:D

We just moved here from Orlando FL, where there are also trails being build over old rail lines. We moved up here because it was more affordable, and we were lured to Taylors-Greeenville by the beauty of Falls Park downtown and the closeness to Paris Mountain St. Park. Now that there is going to be a trail sytem here makes me even more glad that I moved. I hope that there will be trails linking Taylors and Paris Mountain. Maybe through St. Park Road and Mountain Creek Church Road areas?

:D

Has the trail network in O-Town spread out beyond the West Orange Trail? When I lived there, it was just the West Orange Trail and the Econ Trail (on the east side)...and that was pretty much it. Somewhere earlier in this thread, I believe I posted a rough map of what the trail network will be like. If not, I know it's out there in the .pdf or .ppt somewhere. This will give you an idea of what the trail network will look like. This Swamp Rabbit trail is pretty much the main backbone of the network.

Has the trail network in O-Town spread out beyond the West Orange Trail? When I lived there, it was just the West Orange Trail and the Econ Trail (on the east side)...and that was pretty much it. Somewhere earlier in this thread, I believe I posted a rough map of what the trail network will be like. If not, I know it's out there in the .pdf or .ppt somewhere. This will give you an idea of what the trail network will look like. This Swamp Rabbit trail is pretty much the main backbone of the network.

They are working towards bringing all of the trails together.The ones I was familair with were the Econ trail and it is linking with another trail that crosses 436 near university and ends up by the Florida Mall.

Another cool link is in Lake Mary where the Wikiva? trail links across I-4 all the way to SCC College. All of these links are in urban areas and it is intersting how they have wide highways with a large trail beside it and several pedestrian bridges. That is one thing about Orlando they really are stepping up with the trail system.

There is another trail that goes from Longwood to Oviedo that uses an old railroad bed and begins in the beatiful environmental studies center. I enjoyed jogging there under the shade of giant 3000 yr. old cypress trees. After seeing what was possible there, I think that this project here in Greenville and Travelers Rest will be amazing.

I think there is much to learn from Orlando and how they widened roads in order to support trails. Usually there is a grass devider before the curb but if there isn't enough room they create metal gaurd rails.

I can imagine a trail going from TR to the North side of Paris Mt. via pedestrian bridge over US Hwy. 25. Also a great place for a TR logo (welcome to Travelers Rest). This trail would go behind alot of new subdivisions could even link up to the State Park making pedestrian access possible.

:thumbsup:

Sounds like the Trails are coming along nicely. What a great addition this will be for the city. I'll actually be moving to Greenville from Little Rock next month and will definately be checking them out. Does anyone happen to know of any off road running trails in the Greenville area? My knees can only take so much pavement.

Sounds like the Trails are coming along nicely. What a great addition this will be for the city. I'll actually be moving to Greenville from Little Rock next month and will definately be checking them out. Does anyone happen to know of any off road running trails in the Greenville area? My knees can only take so much pavement.

I know a few people who run the trails at Paris Mtn State Park, which is about 10 minutes north of town (http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/common/maps/parksmap/MapParisMountain.pdf)

The existing Greenway trail starting from Linky Stone park downtown has a partial rubberized surface, which I believe is made from recycled tires. The majority of the trail width is paved, but about a 4 foot wide section is made from the rubber chips specifically for runners.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville adding to walking trail

City Council set to sign $1.3 million deal today

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....D=2007708070350

The city intends to sign a construction contract ultimately worth $1.3 million today that would extend its Reedy River walking trail from Cleveland Park to Greenville Technical College.

I'm confused which bridge the article is referencing in regards to removing the rock/stone from underneath. :dontknow:

The article is refering to the bridge over the Reedy at River street. The proposed tunnel would conncet the existing Riverplace walkway with the greenway trail that currently starts at Linky Stone Park.

The City has an official presss release about the new RiverWalk section of trail on the website:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_gove...7/Riverwalk.pdf

I, for one, welcome the River Street underpass. On at least one occasion I have come close to being hit by vehicles who won't (don't) stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Amen. :alc: That's a rather precarious crosswalk there. If not an underpass, at least an overpass would be helpful. Anything to take motor vehicles out of the picture altogether.

I know this is going back to an old post, but do you mind me asking what neighborhood? My wife and I are looking for a home that would be convenient to the trail for evening walks or bike rides.

Thanks!

My neighborhood is close enough to this trail that I'd love to see our HOA spend some money paving a trail from the middle of our neighborhood and tie it directly into the Swamp Rabbit trail. That'd be a huge selling point for our neighborhood, I think.

I know this is going back to an old post, but do you mind me asking what neighborhood? My wife and I are looking for a home that would be convenient to the trail for evening walks or bike rides.

Thanks!

The easiest thing to do is get a map, or print a google map. The trail will be what is currently labeled as the train track that goes from Greenville, through Furman University, and on to Travelers Rest. Drive around these areas north of Greenville and you will find several communities in the vicinity of the trail.

I'll PM ya. Some parts of our neighborhood are going to be more convenient to the trail than others. Sam's right...there may be many other neighborhoods adjacent to the trail, too.

• 3 weeks later...

My neighborhood is close enough to this trail that I'd love to see our HOA spend some money paving a trail from the middle of our neighborhood and tie it directly into the Swamp Rabbit trail. That'd be a huge selling point for our neighborhood, I think.

I am the Director of Greenways for the Greenville County Recreation District. I'd be interested to know what neighborhood you live in and how we can work together to link your neighborhood to the trail

I am the Director of Greenways for the Greenville County Recreation District. I'd be interested to know what neighborhood you live in and how we can work together to link your neighborhood to the trail

Hi Ty. I'm out of town and will be until September 16th. Send me a PM and I'll contact you when I return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This past weeks Journal had a great article by JB on the future plans for Greenville's greenway system. A total of 113 miles. :yahoo: Plans have a spine (the current portion north to Travelers Rest and south to Lake Conestee) with multiple "fingers" branching off. The plans have the greenway connecting to places such as Roper Mountain Science Center, Carolina First Center, Haywood Mall, Verdae, CU-ICAR, etc. The plan is an outgrowth of the questions on the city website as well as town hall meetings. Expect the city to adopt the plan in the next few weeks to secure grant money. Implementation will happen in continual stages, as it has been for the last few years.