The Plaza

Tim3167

I consider Downtown south of 395 and north the river. The Pac I guess you can say is not IN Downtown but a 60 second walk from it. I also dont consider Brickell Downtown.

About Sarasota, I got a diffrent feel from it, I was there three months ago and was pleasently surprised but it was a drive pass, so I guess its not the best comparison on my part.

But about the optimism, I think it great and we all that love Orlando should have it but sometimes the wrong picture is made on this board of what downtown is and in what state it is in and the statements sometimes made are ridiculous, thats all I meant with my post.

No you haven't. And just because you say so doesn't make it so.

See my last response to your "refutation" of facts.

By the way, "rebuff" means to reject bluntly, such as coldly turning someone down for a date.

I believe you meant to write, "refute" or "refuted" which means to prove or have proven false.

Really?

That's right, you're the guy who just "knows stuff"

Looks to me like you need to go home more often. ;)

Wait, let me guess: I-140 is 5 miles from the UT stadium therefore it is technically, according to you,

Camillo,

The Manhattan statistic was just an aside. It originated in the Congestion Pricing Proposal to charge cars for entering parts of Manhattan. So, I didn't google that statistic to find out. As I said, it was a factoid. Regarding your working on a beam design. Good for you. I have a pretty serious resume under my belt as well, so please don't assume that all your opinions are correct. Regarding the population and education statistics, yes, I did use City-Data and cross refenced the Census report. Look it up. I used apples to apples MSA statistics and city to city numbers. It's impossible to prove the qualitative, only the quantitative, which is why I added facts in direct reponse to your statement. If you review my quote I don't come out one way or the other on Orlando. It's just another market to me.

Edited by mrh3

Did I miss anything while I was on vacation?

Now, I am not trying to plug myself and its just a personal market observation however, I have noticed a definate increase in sales at Solaire in the past month or so. More buyers have contacted me recently and I have closed on 3 condos since Solaire opened Feb 2007 with one more in pending from a contract i wrote on Labor Day. Most buyers are interested in one bedroom units compared to two bedroom units. They feel the two bedroom units are still overpriced at the current asking prices. ie: 390k range. I wish I could let them know the actual opening date of the cinema as that would be a definate plus.

Now, I am not trying to plug myself and its just a personal market observation however, I have noticed a definate increase in sales at Solaire in the past month or so. More buyers have contacted me recently and I have closed on 3 condos since Solaire opened Feb 2007 with one more in pending from a contract i wrote on Labor Day. Most buyers are interested in one bedroom units compared to two bedroom units. They feel the two bedroom units are still overpriced at the current asking prices. ie: 390k range. I wish I could let them know the actual opening date of the cinema as that would be a definate plus.

There is an old saying, "If you build it, they will come". Downtown Orlando is poised for an awesome explosion of activity. The Movie theatre will open, the Corona Cigar Co. will open, the Hair Salon will open, etc, etc. I think folk just need to have a little bit more patience, and optimism. Downtown Orlando, and especially The Plaza will once again be a huge success.

On a personal note, I was born and raised in Orlando. I remember growing up and all I wanted to do was go Downtown to hang out. Whether it was eating dinner at the Olive Garden, or going to Terror on Church Street, or, just walking up and down Church and Orange, going Downtown was and will always be special for folks that live in Central Florida.

I think people will be amazed at the support Downtown will get once these new stores open up. They may open up one at a time, but they are going to open and be hugely successful. People have always paid to park Downtown and they will again. People like to support their community, and I think we just need to have a little more patience and support, and all things will work out.

My two cents.

-a happy downtown orlando resident :)

Edited by awitte3

^^

wow. I sure missed a very intriguing debate the last few days. college football will do that to you.

$.02

Downtown Orlando has over 160 combined bars, clubs, restaurants, eateries, diners, shops, etc. And that's without a functioning CSS.

Downtown is by no means dead.

Comparing Miami Beach to DT Orlando is totally apples to oranges-- Miami Bch is not a trad. CBD; it's a neighborhood urban setup;

AMC-- we'll have to wait and see if they come... I know they've been to the site recently...

One-way streets-- mixed feelings on the issue. It really doesn't affect Pine St. establishments anyway. And Rosalind is mainly a thru street to get traffic out of DT the way it's set up.

Bic's post re The Matrix Architect: classic and funny as hell. THe Merovingian was such a beotch in that flick... "cause and effect..."

^^

wow. I sure missed a very intriguing debate the last few days. college football will do that to you.

$.02

Downtown Orlando has over 160 combined bars, clubs, restaurants, eateries, diners, shops, etc. And that's without a functioning CSS.

Downtown is by no means dead.

Comparing Miami Beach to DT Orlando is totally apples to oranges-- Miami Bch is not a trad. CBD; it's a neighborhood urban setup;

AMC-- we'll have to wait and see if they come... I know they've been to the site recently...

One-way streets-- mixed feelings on the issue. It really doesn't affect Pine St. establishments anyway. And Rosalind is mainly a thru street to get traffic out of DT the way it's set up.

Bic's post re The Matrix Architect: classic and funny as hell. THe Merovingian was such a beotch in that flick... "cause and effect..."

haha, I was surprised you never chimed in actually. You're usually pretty good about getting in the thick of a debate :D

I've followed this board on and off for a while, never bothered to sign up until now.

I only did so at this time because I grew up in Oak Ridge and have lived in Orlando for about 8 years now. So, for the sake of factual accuracy, I thought I would chime in on a couple of things:

1. I-140 does not continue to Oak Ridge. It continues to Pellissippi Parkway which in turn leads into Oak Ridge. The interstate spur itself stops at I-40.

2. Knoxville does not have a sustained, viable downtown. Revitalization of downtown has been cyclical. Probably 10 years ago, it went through a period of renewal with restaurants and bars and whatnot. That all came to a crashing halt. It has recently gone through another revitalization period. However, if you transposed Knoxville's downtown into Orlando, it would be embarassing. The two cities just are not comparable.

3. The Riviera is a new 8 screen theater that is doing very well. For now. Check back in a year or two. As I said before, Knoxville's downtown has not sustained any kind of success.

I don't know that this adds anything to this discussion, but I wanted to set the record straight. I believe that Orlando's "problems" downtown are similar to Orlando's overall real estate market's "problems". Simply put, prices were driven out of control by high population growth, low interest rates, shortsighted home buyers, and dumb speculators/investors. I put "problems" in quotations b/c I don't see the current price corrections as a problem. Orlando's growth has been stunted by silly price growth. For example, we bought our house in West Orange for $239,000 in 2002. Had we put our house on the market 2 years ago, we would have sold it for nearly $500k in less than a week. It's the same house. 30% annual home price increases cannot possibly be sustained. As a result, homes in our neighborhood (all comparable) are now listed for mid to high $300s and they sit unsold for months, if not more than a year. Once the market correction is complete, everything will be fine again. I suspect that means that this time next year, we will be able to sell our house for mid to high 300s in a reasonable period of time (2-3 months). That would mean an annual return of 7-8%. That's about what you should expect from your home, maybe even slightly less. And when all of this comes full circle, people will actually occupy those downtown condos and a movie theater will become viable.

Edited by floydgator

^^

welcome, floydgator (that's a paradoxical screen name... William Floyd is a Seminole... )

PTP: there's quite a few more spaces going thru buildout as we speak in PTP North and South. offices... and there's 3-4 more retail spaces going thru buildout as well. the cinema... I think construction, which was halted for some time... started back up again...