Gaines Street

Florida

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article in the Democrat this morning... Time to Move Past Differences on Gaines Street Makeover

Do they understand where Gaines is? it's a connector from downtown to out near the airport... it's going to be a four lane deathtrap... i know it's more right of way space but come on... i sure the other cities they mention already had some downtown growth before the one ways were put in... i just don't think this is a positive move...

uhmmm, Europe.... I am missing that story to tell... I want that story to tell... How can I possibly stand to stay here... (damn.. too poor) I will keep working, but if the man comes looking, i am swimming across!!!!

No excuses- get your butt to europe. Airfairs are cheaper there than to the west coast. Lodging can be done ecomonically too.... Every American should go there at least once. It will change your "I'm the american center of the universe" attitute. Not you neccesarily. But you get it.

Article in the Democrat this morning... Time to Move Past Differences on Gaines Street Makeover

Do they understand where Gaines is? it's a connector from downtown to out near the airport... it's going to be a four lane deathtrap... i know it's more right of way space but come on... i sure the other cities they mention already had some downtown growth before the one ways were put in... i just don't think this is a positive move...

Please send a letter to the editor critiquing this article.... Get his phone number from a post I have back on Page 9-10. Send him a letter too. thanks

"get your butt to europe. Airfairs are cheaper there than to the west coast. Lodging can be done ecomonically too.... Every American should go there at least once. It will change your "I'm the american center of the universe" attitute"

The good news is, Europe isn't the center of the universe either.

FYI, as someone who has lived in Asia and been to Europe many times, Americans have no monopoly on ignorance and arrogance. It tends to be a human trait I have found.

uhmmm, Europe.... I am missing that story to tell... I want that story to tell... How can I possibly stand to stay here... (damn.. too poor) I will keep working, but if the man comes looking, i am swimming across!!!!

Do you speak any european languages other than english?

"get your butt to europe. Airfairs are cheaper there than to the west coast. Lodging can be done ecomonically too.... Every American should go there at least once. It will change your "I'm the american center of the universe" attitute"

The good news is, Europe isn't the center of the universe either.

FYI, as someone who has lived in Asia and been to Europe many times, Americans have no monopoly on ignorance and arrogance. It tends to be a human trait I have found.

I agree completely.... No matter from what country one originates, then one should visit any other country and see how different the world really is. I have been to asia as well. Lived in Hawaii for 3 years too. Its where I learned to sit za-zen.

I lived in Hawaii when I was younger (scholfield Barracks) and been back a few times.

I don't know if that is a good example of a place to broaden your world fews. GREAT place, but it is like folks in Hollywood forming their opinions their (ie Folks making $20 Million a picture and being worshiped like a god). It is LALA land...paradise. Of the 6 Billion folks in the world, all but about .01% do NOT live in a fantasy world. To truly have a well rounded few of the world, it must be based in a more realistic basis of how the VAST majority of the world. lives. Now that said, wouldn't it be sweet if we could all live in Hawaii.

I lived in Moscow for three years and traveled quite a bit around Europe. Since this is a Tallahassee forum, I will say that - if done correctly - Tally has the potential to be every bit as attractive as some of the great university cities of Europe: Ghent, Salamanca, Bologna. BUT, having a pedestrian-friendly core is essential. One-way or two-way, the Gaines Street redevelopment must put pedestrians first. Otherwise it risks becoming another Tennessee. That would be a shame.

"One-way or two-way, the Gaines Street redevelopment must put pedestrians first. Otherwise it risks becoming another Tennessee. That would be a shame."

I COMPLETELY agree. The focus also needs to be on cafe's, live music clubs, niche hotels (not cookie cutter run of the mill ones), lofts, nice clubs (not the typical crap hole) and art shops. I am no hippie, but this is what is needed to make it a "Destination area"

Yeah, I tend to agree that Gaines needs to be two-way with a landscaped medians, bike lanes, pedestrian-friendly, yada yada yada...

Art shops, niche hotels, lofts, nice clubs, etc...do not a hippie make :P

BUT they would make Gaines a hip corridor between the universities and downtown.

Mary Frederick, a member of the Gaines St. Revitalization Committee, has a letter to the editor in the TD today blasting the one-way street plan. She blames the city planners for not addressing the concerns of the stakeholders developed over the last 15 years.

Being a hippie is a BAD thing? I didn't get that memo. I think Tally needs more hippies and less big-wheeled truck driving camoflauge ballcap wearing tobacco chewin' rednecks. But then again, I maybe wrong since I could be a hippie b/c I enjoy all the things that makes one a hippie. :P

Being a hippie is a BAD thing? I didn't get that memo. I think Tally needs more hippies and less big-wheeled truck driving camoflauge ballcap wearing tobacco chewin' rednecks. But then again, I maybe wrong since I could be a hippie b/c I enjoy all the things that makes one a hippie. :P

poonther...I didn't say that....I am open to Hippies, rednecks, whoever. I just happen to not be a Hippie....redneck either (by your definition above). It takes all kinds to make things interesting.

I am open to Hippies, rednecks, whoever.

I'll come out and say it. The Gaines Street improvements have to move AWAY from niche-markets like hippie and rednecks and students. Tattoo parlors and second-hand clothing stores and "two for one wells before 8:00" do not make for a dynamic "destination district." This may be a fantasy, but Gaines Street should end up looking like the proposal renderings. Wide sidewalks, planters, store fronts, cafes with outdoor seating, etc. If it is lovely, people will come and spend time and money and the area will thrive.

tall developments, with 2nd floor balcony seating for restaurants!! like what i want from college. A place were you can eat and enjoy the nightlife (bourbon st) but not so nice everyone cannot afford it. it would be awsome for dates and buissiness. All saints cafe and fat sandwhich get alot of talk (as much as Euphoria) so i think the area will work with more of them. I think some nicer clubs, with dresscodes would rock! 21 plus to get in period! with a bike rack in the front! or better yet, call it the bike rack! Gaines is long, the whole strip could provide the "VARIETY" that would make it an awsome destination. resturaunts with menus outside so poor folks like me know not to go in, and cheap bars with 2 dolla shots i can get drunk and walk home from!

the only good hippie... is a dead hippie... KIDDING! my wife calls me a hippie because I am from NH, recyle and like Phish *shrugs*

anyway, variety is the key for Gaines street... a few nice high end places, a few in the middle and a few eclectic ones too... has anyone ever been to portsmouth, nh on this board? that's what we should shoot for, funky cool but also a touch of class...

completely unrelated to anything, but, do you think they'll actually put in some real old timey gas lights? now that would be cool...

NOW I'M YELLING!!!! Please send these comments to the city commision!!!!!! I love this message booard but we must make our voices heard! Forward your thoughts to the County and City Commisions and to the Democrat- Gaines will only go forward with taxpayer responce!!!!!!! I love everyones comments here. Even the ones for a one way plan. But if you think one way will work- then two way will work better!!!! Think about how much Monroe has changed to encourage redevelopment there. Gaines can learn from that example!! Gaines should mirror Monroe!!!!!!

I am putting together a formal request for agenda to the April 19th City Counsel meeting. I need some good arguements about why the commision should go "two way"- can you all help? Is there actual city planning data about why two-way street are better for peds, bikes, commerce, street-scapes, etc? ....

My zealous arguements will only carry us so far...

WTF is a Hippie? And why is it applicable to 2006? Kind of like saying one is a "Beatnic" or "Bullmoose".... or a "Yuppie".

I'm an "urbanist" and a free thinker..... so lets work with this. I'm also gay, and an aethiest, and a democrat and mostly caucasian, and a rower, and a contractor and a realtor, and a college grad and a democrat, a zen budhist, a tax payer, a wine drinker, a %$^^# smoker, an etc.... but I love Tallahassee ad nauseum...

Ok Poonther- I know I said I'm an aetheist and a Budhist but that is not a contradiction... Budhism is NOT a religion... its a philosophy. Budha is not a god.

This is how I see Gaines street. I see Gaines as becoming this cosmopolitan area with all kinds of exotic shops, coffeshops. I mean can you see people riding their bikes, people ordering food from local restaurants with an Indian theme. Can you see people sitting a coffee table conversating and smoking Tobacco from bongs. This would be so cool to me. Just a blend of everything like murphy said. A blend of Spanish, Turkish, American, african culture or something like that. Just my thoughts.

• 2 months later...

This is how I see Gaines street. I see Gaines as becoming this cosmopolitan area with all kinds of exotic shops, coffeshops. I mean can you see people riding their bikes, people ordering food from local restaurants with an Indian theme. Can you see people sitting a coffee table conversating and smoking Tobacco from bongs. This would be so cool to me. Just a blend of everything like murphy said. A blend of Spanish, Turkish, American, african culture or something like that. Just my thoughts.

I can't see it!! LOL!!!

Just Joking Cityboy!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Look who's going Two-Way.

Business owners in the Gaines Street area celebrated this evening after Tallahassee commissioners signed off on a two-way plan for the street.

"I'm floating," said Ruth Wharton, who chaired a citizens committee that came up with the two-way plan for Gaines Street. "I'm thrilled. I just couldn't be more pleased."

Commissioners unanimously voted in favor of a two-way street that would feature slower traffic, wide sidewalks and other amenities.

Archived