Richmond's Suburban Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The steel structure at 4400 W Broad St was sold last month and seems to be being disassembled. Not sure if the lot leased as well. 

What steel structure are you talking about?  I’m having trouble visualizing this steel structure. 

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What steel structure are you talking about?  I’m having trouble visualizing this steel structure. 

Lot has been available for lease for a while, but hopefully this means the lot was leased too. Seems an auction happened at the end of March for someone to take the steel structure.    

37B7DBC1-8A5D-4EF4-84DF-09D89E087F76.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the Thalhimer website, Willow Place shopping center (across from Target on Broad) is slated for redevelopment.  Seems it will mostly be just some sprucing up of the existing center with a few new builds.  McDonalds was just redone and First Watch is coming. 

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/WillowPlace.pdf

• Like 2

I wish they would tear it down, rebuild it with streets connecting it to Libby Mill.   This section would be better for high density housing than low end retail (and high end retail is no existent). 

Henrico is really dropping the ball with regards to taking their county to the next level.  Retail is crashing and they lack the infrastructure necessary to redevelop most of Broad Street.  I took the long way home from Wegman’s yesterday.  Huge swaths of Broad is just boarded up strip malls And national retailers with “store closing” signs in the windows. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I wish they would tear it down, rebuild it with streets connecting it to Libby Mill.   This section would be better for high density housing than low end retail (and high end retail is no existent). 

Henrico is really dropping the ball with regards to taking their county to the next level.  Retail is crashing and they lack the infrastructure necessary to redevelop most of Broad Street.  I took the long way home from Wegman’s yesterday.  Huge swaths of Broad is just boarded up strip malls And national retailers with “store closing” signs in the windows. 

Agreed 100% Well said! :tw_thumbsup:

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Agreed 100% Well said! :tw_thumbsup:

It would be a good time to talk to city next door and what out some sort of , I don't know....regional collaboration :whistling::whistling::whistling:. The Board of Supervisors GOT to know the city is growing faster than the counties by now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Definitely this.  I was looking at the area the other day thinking about the frustration of Libby Mill being rather disconnected from the Pulse line.  If it could properly develop up to Broad through this property there would be a lot of potential.

• Like 4

DalWill -- I agree 100% the counties should wake up and smell the brewing coffee. For the first time in decades, the city is far and away outpacing the counties in growth rate - and it doesn't appear to be slowing. If the city maintains this pace, it will once again become the largest individual jurisdiction by population in the metro area not that darn awful far down the road. Regional cooperation at a minimum (Nashville has made full-on regional government pretty successful) has been sorely needed -- and sorely lacking -- in the Richmond metro for decades now. 

Icetera -- excellent example with Libby Mill. Classic case in point. Other metros would have made it possible for this to work. NOVA for example. 

But good luck on EVER getting the primary players to ever seriously work together. Too many self interests at stake -- despite the clear and obvious fact that if they worked together the rising tide would life everyone's boats.

I somehow doubt little has changed from back in the '70s when a Chesterfield resident who was in my mother's social circle once commented to my mom at a dinner party AT OUR HOUSE AND WE LIVED IN THE CITY about how glad she was that GRTC stopped at the city line -- "we don't want the riff-raff from Richmond" (coming into the county).

What's funny is that I can recall my reaction to the story as a kid - that were I an adult at the time certainly would not be publishable here on this forum.  As I recall my mother jettisoned this lady from her circle and had nothing more to do with her. 

Libby Mill has really shown the potential of this area.   Willow Lawn could become our Balston or Reston.  Libby Mill needs somewhere to grow for that to happen.   The defunct strip mall between it and Broad Street seems a logical place to start.  
It can easily cross Staples Mill to the east (and the county seems to be encouraging that) but connecting it to Target, Willow Lawn and the Pulse would make Libby Mill a truly walkable neighbored. 

• Like 2

Actually your mention of Ballston made me get the idea that a 'high spine' of high-rise development like that stretching from Ballston-Clarendon-Court House-Rosslyn, could be similarly done between VCU-Monroe Ward-Downtown.

47 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Libby Mill has really shown the potential of this area.   Willow Lawn could become our Balston or Reston.  Libby Mill needs somewhere to grow for that to happen.   The defunct strip mall between it and Broad Street seems a logical place to start.  
It can easily cross Staples Mill to the east (and the county seems to be encouraging that) but connecting it to Target, Willow Lawn and the Pulse would make Libby Mill a truly walkable neighbored. 

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

DalWill -- I agree 100% the counties should wake up and smell the brewing coffee. For the first time in decades, the city is far and away outpacing the counties in growth rate - and it doesn't appear to be slowing. If the city maintains this pace, it will once again become the largest individual jurisdiction by population in the metro area not that darn awful far down the road. Regional cooperation at a minimum (Nashville has made full-on regional government pretty successful) has been sorely needed -- and sorely lacking -- in the Richmond metro for decades now.  

Is the city really growing THAT fast?  Is it really outpacing Henrico or Chesterfield?  I knew that it was growing pretty fast, I just didn't think that it was outpacing the counties (I may be wrong though).  Anyone have any concrete data on what's really happening?  I think the housing shortage is not helping - developers are trying to crank out housing as fast as they can in the city...and everything they build seems to fill up almost as soon as they are on the market!  I've heard many ask, "What is it that is bringing people downtown/in the city to live?"  I'd say probably a lot of reverse commuters who want to live in the city (who can afford the rents/mortgages) but work in the burbs.  We've gotta change that - we need more companies/businesses downtown.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, eandslee said:

Is the city really growing THAT fast?  Is it really outpacing Henrico or Chesterfield?  I knew that it was growing pretty fast, I just didn't think that it was outpacing the counties (I may be wrong though).  Anyone have any concrete data on what's really happening?  I think the housing shortage is not helping - developers are trying to crank out housing as fast as they can in the city...and everything they build seems to fill up almost as soon as they are on the market!  I've heard many ask, "What is it that is bringing people downtown/in the city to live?"  I'd say probably a lot of reverse commuters who want to live in the city (who can afford the rents/mortgages) but work in the burbs.  We've gotta change that - we need more companies/businesses downtown.

Even with the counties having a slower rate of growth, they are still adding nearly as much, if not more people, as they have a higher base population.

For 2010-18
Richmond at 12% added 25k (Total 229k)
Henrico at 7.3% added 22k (Total 329k)
Chesterfield at 10.2% added 32k (Total 349k)
Metro at 8.1% added 98k (Total 1,306k)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1