Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 7/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, uptownliving said:

I had to fly out of E38 last week. I had forgotten how grossly congested that end of the terminal is. This expansion looks pretty far along, though, so hopefully some relief soon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I'm a guy that loves museums (from art to science and history and everything in between) and I thought that the US1549 exhibit was top notch. I'm excited for what the future holds for the museum. I truly think that it's an asset to Charlotte's cultural scene, and I hope that when it reopens it gets more recognition. 

I think if the museum was renamed, it could get more widspread acclaim. Considering we are the First in Flight state, a rebrand based on the Wright brothers accomplishment and playing off the Hudson plane: Miracle of Aviation Museum, would help to expand the perception of the museum beyond just being a regional museum.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not readily seeing an exact site, but that rendering makes it appear they will rebuild at the museum's old location? Anyone know if that's accurate? 

No it is up toward the end of right runway by the NS railroad tracks.  (uptown side of the airport but closer to the RR tracks) 

The reimagined Carolinas Aviation Museum, which will be developed in partnership with 
Charlotte Douglas International Airport, will house dozens of aircraft and include exhibits 
such as interactive cockpits, flight simulators, and historic artifacts that chronicle the 
region’s indelible connection to the wonder of flight and aviation innovation. The new 
facility will be located at the site of Charlotte Douglas International Airport’s historic 
WPA/Douglas Airport Hangar, which will be restored as part of the museum projec

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I drove there 2-3 weeks ago. Go Minuteman Way off Morris Field Road. Minuteman turns several times but a GPS will take you there. The street ends just past the museum. Several aircraft are outside the building. The taxiway for the airport is just across the fence when one turns to return. It is a dead end road for non-aviation related traffic. There is a gate for airport traffic when necessary.

Air Canada has decided to postpone their resumption of Charlotte service.  Now out of the schedule through October.   Potentially due to the rise of the Delta variant or the addition of a 3rd daily flight by AA to Toronto in October or the announcement of vaccine requirements by Canada.

Unfortunate, but regardless we should see them back soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

am I correct the only nonstops to Greece in the southeast are from Atlanta on Delta or does Florida have any? 

That is correct.  Current NA flights are.

AA:  Chicago, New York, Philadelphia

DL:  Atlanta, New York

UA:  Newark, Washington-Dulles

Highly seasonal though.  The only year round flight at the moment  is DL to New York 

Definitely room for a CLT flight.

• Like 2

So, the Greek news for yesterday was an error.  It was meant to be German.  This makes sense though, given the November timing.  On the schedule change over the weekend.  Beginning in November Frankfurt flights while change over from DFW-FRA to CLT-FRA.  

Right now it shows that it is only for the first half of November and then resumes on January 4th, but I wonder if that was a schedule change error.

Non aviation speak:  Frankfurt returns in November at the expense of the Dallas flight.  

image.thumb.png.8d486894b42274f37c3e4cc7e9c9460f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

So, the Greek news for yesterday was an error.  It was meant to be German.  This makes sense though, given the November timing.  On the schedule change over the weekend.  Beginning in November Frankfurt flights while change over from DFW-FRA to CLT-FRA.  

Right now it shows that it is only for the first half of November and then resumes on January 4th, but I wonder if that was a schedule change error.

Non aviation speak:  Frankfurt returns in November at the expense of the Dallas flight.  

image.thumb.png.8d486894b42274f37c3e4cc7e9c9460f.png

Wow lol well still good news 

• Like 1

Mix-up makes sense, as CLT didn't have a Greek language domicile AFAIK. IIRC CLT was only a German and Spanish base. There may be also be a small French-speaking domicile as well, I'm not sure.

US Airways never provided LOD (language of destination) flight attendants on their Canadian flights (AA did though, there were French speaking FAs when I would fly them pre-merger, even on flights to Toronto) so I'm not sure which practice they selected after the merger or perhaps they only speak French to Montreal. I flew CDG-CLT a couple of years back and the purser read the welcome announcement in very bad French (sounded like she spoke no French but was just phonetically reading the script) and then used automated announcements in French for everything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Mix-up makes sense, as CLT didn't have a Greek language domicile AFAIK. IIRC CLT was only a German and Spanish base. There may be also be a small French-speaking domicile as well, I'm not sure.

US Airways never provided LOD (language of destination) flight attendants on their Canadian flights (AA did though, there were French speaking FAs when I would fly them pre-merger, even on flights to Toronto) so I'm not sure which practice they selected after the merger or perhaps they only speak French to Montreal. I flew CDG-CLT a couple of years back and the purser read the welcome announcement in very bad French (sounded like she spoke no French but was just phonetically reading the script) and then used automated announcements in French for everything else. 

Yeah me being Greek, it seemed weird to me as well. However the German seems weird also as most Germans can speak and understand English. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1