Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

How would that possibly raise the cost of doing business?

The improvements Philly wants to make to the airport are estimated to cost over $6 Billion. It is the airlines that would be paying for that through increased fees to use the airport. The airlines are also saying they would see very little efficiency improvement with a new runway. The real hold-up in on-time arrivals is due to the Northeast Air Traffic Control that Philly is under.

Edited by uptownliving

Sort of amazing the Charlotte can building a new runway for under $200million, and complete the entire master plan for I believe around $1.5 billion.

It does help that there is plenty of undeveloped land around CLT and Dixie Berryhill is not yet the neighborhood Jerry envisioned... :)

I am sitting at Raleigh's airport waiting for my connecting flight back to Charlotte and I am noticing how much cleaner and nicer Raleigh's airport is in comparison to Charlotte's. The terminal feels so open and well layed out. I don't see Charlotte's airport becoming like this anytime soon because if we went into a major overhaul of the terminal along with constructing the new international terminal we will become like Philly, which is struggling to get support from American on their new 6.4 billion dollar airport upgrade plan. I know we have discussed at length the several problems plaguing CLT but I really believe just making a simple change in replacing the carpet with anything else will do wonders for the image of the airport.

^  Don't you think all of this is built into the plans to redo the concourses completely - first in widening them and ultimately in redesigning the layout completely?  I anticipate that in the next few years all Concourses B and C will have been redone and it will feel more like the baggage claim area now.  And it's clear that financially CLT is better at financing and paying for their work and that cost is not just being transferred to the airline...

Changes for the better are occurring at CLT, but the interim is going to be painful.  Jerry's rein of differed maintenance is coming back to bite our airport in the behind.  So far, I think Cagle is doing the best he can with what he inherited.  CLT has gained approval to raise spending by 8% this year (upgrades to technology, new buses, hiring more (and full-time) cleaning staff, security, and repairing deferred maintenance--roof leaks, holes in walls, inoperative lighting, etc).  This new spending will raise the per passenger enplanement to around $1.35--still the lowest per unit cost of any hub in the United States--and they're doing it with the blessing of American Airlines.  

Was out at CLT on Sunday and used the newly aligned entrance road off of the parkway and i can say it threw me for a bit, but the new "main entrance" off of HWY 74 and the alignment with the terminal will be a great thing for navigating. I'll still always use Morris Field - BG - Parkway - side entrance but it will give CLT a little more prominence? Not sure if thats the correct word....

The West terminal expansion is progressing very quickly as is the new super-deck. Once its finished and they widen the pick-up drop-off lanes in front of the terminal and reconecct to the deck via new bridges, i have to hope that there will be some sort of accompanying facelift to the existing termianal between the east and west expansions to match their new vernacular/aesthetic. While its nothing phenominal, the east wing looks light years better than the glorified truck stop that is the existing terminal drop off...

Ads from the pilot union on the Charlotte Observer's home page against foreign airlines.  Qtar, Eithad, or one of the OneWorld members is going to be flying into Charlotte soon enough.  Watch this space.

what part of that leads you to believe a new airline is coming to CLT?

Ads from the pilot union on the Charlotte Observer's home page against foreign airlines.  Qtar, Eithad, or one of the OneWorld members is going to be flying into Charlotte soon enough.  Watch this space.

Domestic pilot unions are mostly against the likes of Norweigan Air Shuttle gaining TATL rights rather than the ME3.  I don't think any LCC from Eurasia will be flying CLT anytime soon...  

Nice to see Frontier (F9) add service to CLT. Still waiting for a flight to DEN, however.

Regarding RDU, it is a nice facility. But, the cost of maintaining it is likely more expensive than maintaining CLT, not to mention the construction costs. The thing that really gets me is that I've heard a lot of people from RDU say that RDU is a larger airport than CLT just because of their fancy multi=terminal layout. CLT would not be able to support a hub of its current size if it had RDU's costs. RDU is very well served for a city of its size.

Regarding CLT, yes the concourses are supposed to be refurbished, but who knows when. I still believe that the D concourse, especially gates D7-13 are some of the nicest gate areas in the US today. Very spacious.

Regarding the ads, I haven't been to the Qatar website UNTIL I saw the ad, nor have I searched anything about Qatar, so who knows.

The ALPA ad is related to NAI, but I think regarding the US aviation industry as a whole, not to CLT. They are probably just looking for support in CLT.

I really have to give RDU credit though, it was a very convenient airport to fly out of, I was however a little surprised that they are behind in technology a bit as they don't even have the capability to do mobile boarding passes...

That is fantastic news about Frontier. I would not be surprised to see Cleveland before Denver however as a next possible route for Frontier. I still don't understand why Spirit hasn't been in play for service to CLT.

Random question, back in the early 2000s US Airways had a Caribbean hub at Fort Lauderdale, does anybody know what terminal they were in? Was it the same Terminal 3 they are in today? You want to talk about a dreary airport, I just came back from there today after my crazy day starting off in Raleigh, terminal 3 is a mess, not nice at all. But I guess this is why it is so cheap to fly into FLL because their costs are so low, they don't take care of their facilities. 

The one thing I LOVE about RDU's new terminal is the use of check-in "islands" instead of standard check in desks that run the length of the building. Adds to a much sophisticated, international, and airy experience.

^IIRC, it was the same terminal they are in today. I like FLL's Terminal 1 a lot. It is the newest, and very modern and airy.

Apparently Senator Burr said at the NC Realtor's Association meeting today that CLT is expected to be the second busiest airport in the US in a decade.(via @REBIC on twitter)

As much as that would be awesome, if it ever does happen it definitely won't be in the next decade. We are already the second busiest airport for American Airlines, maybe this is what he was referring to?? These are the airports we have to be beat out in order to become the second busiest airport in the country behind Atlanta (we are also already the second busiest in the southeast if you don't count Miami as being a part of the Southeast...) LAX, DFW, ORD, DEN, JFK, MIA... Right now we are the eighth busiest in the US according to this wikipedia list with the updated numbers as of January of 2014 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic 

Frontier is offering special rates for flights out of Dulles to promote the new routes. I looked at booking IAD-CLT for the USC-UGA game in September, but with the seat fees, the baggage fees, and the cost of getting all the way out to Dulles, it's not much cheaper than DCA-CLT on US Airways. Maybe it makes sense on other routes.

Domestic pilot unions are mostly against the likes of Norweigan Air Shuttle gaining TATL rights rather than the ME3.  I don't think any LCC from Eurasia will be flying CLT anytime soon...

I saw these ads for Norwegian. I do not think it's out of the realm of possibilities that they would serve Charlotte. A few months back, the NAI CEO said Charlotte is a market he would one day like to serve, and there is a rumor that Electrolux may bankroll a nonstop between Charlotte and Stockholm. If AA/US doesn't pick up the route, maybe Electrolux is in talks with Norwegian. They are already an LCC with a lower cost structure. It seems as if a revenue guarantee from a large company like Electrolux would be good for business.