Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

Those are some really good suggestions. Chart House is awesome. We used to have one down at Rudee (Dirty Dicks). What about Ted's Montana Grill? On another note, we've been lacking good Continental here for a while. This is also a trend nationally, IMO. Hey, even though we were intending for these restaurants to go into the Westin Hotel, we've been bumped to the general TC thread!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some really good suggestions. Chart House is awesome. We used to have one down at Rudee (Dirty Dicks).  What about Ted's Montana Grill?  On another note, we've been lacking good Continental here for a while. This is also a trend nationally, IMO. Hey, even though we were intending for these restaurants to go into the Westin Hotel, we've been bumped to the general TC thread!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe someone local will start a restaurant and bring it to the Westin so they can have some 757 culture with their food and stay at the Westin!

I was gonna say b/c Va Beach is decidedly suburban but maybe give it a few years and hopefully a nice urban enclave will start to arise minus the water element - unless you want to count Thalia Creek.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thalia creek or how about the ditch in central park :rofl::whistling:

Time to get greedy, but why couldn't TC look a little more like Harbor East in Baltimore?

Harbor East website

Artist Rendering from the Armada Hoffler website:

portfolio_ihe_1_big.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Considering that part of Norfolk already looks like Baltimore (waterside) I think you'd have a much better chance getting it down there. As much as I'd like it to happen I really can't see TC looking like that. This would be a nice development for DT plaza however. Also that rendering is too good. I had to look real close to tell which buildings were new and which ones were old. :lol:

Time to get greedy, but why couldn't TC look a little more like Harbor East in Baltimore?

Harbor East website

Artist Rendering from the Armada Hoffler website:

portfolio_ihe_1_big.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, you take out that big white building and this development is almost a dead ringer for the type of project that they're trying to do in the Fort Norfolk area.

I'm eager to see if info about the 2nd office tower will be included in the update.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean the one going DT Norfolk! :rofl: j/k. Hopefully so. I wonder if they have some companies that really want to rent in there. Maybe they have some out of town companies that want to supply offices in the region. Lets hope so.

Hopefully so. I wonder if they have some companies that really want to rent in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Mr. Divaris they do, which is why the project may start sooner rather than later. They want to start construction in the 2nd or 3rd quarter on '06 which is a very short time away from now (a little less than a year).

According to Mr. Divaris they do, which is why the project may start sooner rather than later. They want to start construction in the 2nd or 3rd quarter on '06 which is a very short time away from now (a little less than a year).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is in considering how long it takes to start with planning and such. Even Mayor Fraim said it takes close to 3 years for a office building to come about

What I was going for was the difference in architecture and color schemes. Unlike TC which is one bland matching assortment of buildings, Harbor East is a mix. Even the buildings that are attached appear separated because of design variations. Phase 1 of TC appeared like it wanted to do that, but ended with what looks like a fire sale on netrual color paint at Norfolk Paint. We've talked about this before, but the Baltimore project really brings it out. What's even more striking is that Armada Hoffler is the construction company/contractor on both jobs.

In scale, Harbor East is not much different than TC. It would be nice to see something like this go up in Atlantic City/Fort Norfolk, however Norfolk appears to want to develop it piecemeal which may actually be better. Different developers have different tastes. Anyway, TC is only half built. Hopefully the remaining parcels will incorporate red brick, black granite, green glass, domed or hipped roofs, or other features to contrast with the sterile look of what's there now, besides Dick's. The Westin, with nods to Art Deco, appears to be going in that direction.

Don't hold your breath for that to happen. I think the city wanted the buildings to look like that for some reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't blame the city. CMSS architects are solely to blame for the blandness of the architecture in that area. I think if we get a different architect, that may change.

Don't blame the city. CMSS architects are solely to blame for the blandness of the architecture in that area. I think if we get a different architect, that may change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city has to approve it so the city could ask them to redesign it. Norfolk has done that before. Just like the city of Norfolk told the company to make a building taller instead of those midrise buildings.

Archived