Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

Not to act like I know the minute details of the law, but if they are using your intellectual property for their own business venture (and I would say that a rezoning is certainly part of that venture), then I would think you would be entitled to damages. My estimate would be at least the cost associated with creating the image (fee a professional firm would have charged), plus there is alway punitive damages to pursue.

This seems a pretty clean cut case of plagerism, and assuming you still have original file with the created date intact, you probably have a strong case. Since its not copyrighted, the burden is on you to prove it, but as part of damages, the company would likely be forced to reimburse you for the cost of proving it.

While I think Urban Planet is a good exchange of information, I don't think that should ever be confused as wholly using someone else's work. I say go for it, or at least reach a settlement that involves a full stacked brick exterior.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The design could definitely use some variety. I'm not crazy about the idea of a whole block being gobbled up by one building, but it could be made to work if it "speaks" to pedestrians. This won't be the ugliest structure in 4th Ward, but it will be a disappointment if it looks as bland and monotone as this rendering.

• 3 months later...

Looks like this project may finally be rising from the shadows again. In today's Neighbors section of the Observer it stated that City Council is set to vote on Tuesday for proposed rezoning of this site (3.54 acres at N Graham/N Smith/W Eigth/W Ninth streets. It's calling for 550 residential units and 30k of commerical space. Based on previous discussion here, we may be getting another 30+ story tower since they increased the size of the project. Their web site also stated that new renderings will be forthcoming.

I don't believe it's more than 10 stories or so.....the block will be more completely built out, as opposed to 5 seperate building, but so far, its looking rather monolithing and bland. Unless they do something dramatic with the facade, I'm pretty disappointed with the current plan.

It doesn't look all that exciting, but it will add density and residents to downtown. Its hard to see how much retail is actually fronting Graham St. 30k sq ft is not much, but it depends on how its situated. Looks like it will be 8 stories. The "urban open space" that they have on the plan looks very unappealing.

The rendering isn't much to look at, but it appears to include the Vue.

Revised Site Plan

I think that if they can pull off the actually building of it, that this is a much better plan than trying to have a second phase set of towers. It appears that they can keep a similar density but without the height and phasing. I expect this will still be the relatively bland design with stucco as the dominant facade material. I agree with the others, that the level of density added will really help support the transit of Graham from cheap wooden 3 story apartments to a more solid urban scale.

I wish them the best because they do face a bit of an uphill battle to create that level of density so far from the jobs, and while much of that section of Graham is still ugly.

I wonder if having that new 9th Street Children's Park across the street will help support some families with kids to get a condo there. It is also across the street from a day care center.

If their going 8 stories of EIFS, I'd just assume keep the ugly apts......something of this scale doesn't HAVE to be bad. Look at the Post Properties apartments on Graham St. There is some decent brick detail work there. Considering the density, land basis, and fact that it's for sale...there is no reason that the developer couldn't at least build something of equal aesthetics.

On second glance at both the last rendering and the current rezoning rendering, it actually looks more like glass will be the dominant facade element, especially along Graham and Smith. Their old rendering had brick at the ground and stucco above, but the new rendering has a lot more floor to ceiling windows. I agree with the need to elevate the quality, but I don't think this is of the type where I'd rather it didn't happen.

I don't really like those odd indentations, but the fact is that 9th and 8th in this area area tiny, and if it allows them to increase the number of units, due to their ability to access the outdoors with windows, then it is a reasonable design compromise. It also does give some greenspace on an otherwise packed out block for dog poopage and some larger trees or something and some outdoor living space for socializing.

On second glance at both the last rendering and the current rezoning rendering, it actually looks more like glass will be the dominant facade element, especially along Graham and Smith. Their old rendering had brick at the ground and stucco above, but the new rendering has a lot more floor to ceiling windows. I agree with the need to elevate the quality, but I don't think this is of the type where I'd rather it didn't happen.

Welcome to Urban Planet and thank you for keeping us in the loop, uptowngirl, as it appears you have an inside connection on this project.

I agree that is it tough to get a good idea from that rezoning application sketch, but I hope that the your positive hints are preparing us for good material choices and some details that aren't visible in that rendering.

I also hope that a decent percentage of these units are in the sweet spot for uptown condos, 1 bedroom units under 200k or 250k. Those seem to always be sold out these days while the pricier units struggle. At this point in the cycle and the current economic uncertainty, I would like to see these projects tapping into the market the right way and actually coming to fruition.

Well said, dubone. That rendering on the rezoning application was clearly just to show scale. I am looking forward to seeing a more final rendering.

UPTOWNGIRL, do you have any idea when those renderings might become available to the public?

Welcome to the forum :)

• 3 months later...
Well said, dubone. That rendering on the rezoning application was clearly just to show scale. I am looking forward to seeing a more final rendering.

UPTOWNGIRL, do you have any idea when those renderings might become available to the public?

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm glad this one dropped off the radar. Just like 500 W Trade, it seems to me to be a wasted opportunity (in its current site plan) where density really counts. It wouldn't bother me if they postpone this one five years but build something more suitable.

• 2 months later...

I've been assuming for a long while that this project is dead, and the re-leasing of the apartments solidified that in my mind. But this week, I noticed that they have taken down the advertisements on the windows of their sales center and you can now see that it is gutted inside. That seems to be pure confirmation that they are not going through with this project.

It makes the most sense that this project would fail, as they are making decent money off of what is there now, which seems to create a bit more opportunity cost to overcome.

While I liked the project and thought it would help upgrade the Graham Street corridor, it is probably better to have other projects which are replacing surface lots to move forward versus land that already has density and residences.

While I liked the project and thought it would help upgrade the Graham Street corridor, it is probably better to have other projects which are replacing surface lots to move forward versus land that already has density and residences.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been assuming for a long while that this project is dead, and the re-leasing of the apartments solidified that in my mind. But this week, I noticed that they have taken down the advertisements on the windows of their sales center and you can now see that it is gutted inside. That seems to be pure confirmation that they are not going through with this project.

It makes the most sense that this project would fail, as they are making decent money off of what is there now, which seems to create a bit more opportunity cost to overcome.

This project is now OPD. I heard that BofA, although not fully pulling its financing of the project, reduced the amount is was willing to lend dramatically to the point that the project is now economically unfeasible. Many of the units were fairly ripped up inside - no doubt the owner lost a considerable amount of rental income on those units while trying to market this. I've also heard from a credible source that there is a problem with a number of squatters taking up residence in the vacant units.

Archived