Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are planning to put it up for RFP or possibly straight sale once final engineering is completed. They just needed control of the land to make sure they could get all the improvements there, but always had the intention of selling the excess land for development......so far they are a year behind schedule....

NCDOT originally bought the block wide strip to not only accomodate the Gateway station and additional rail lines but to put a postal rail yard there in Fourth Ward. The neighborhood went "postal". Long fight, lots of local support and arm twisting, that plan was dropped.

Then the neighborhood requested the land become a park... eventually they moved away from that because of the lack of "windows on the park" aspect which they knew would make it unused(think Marshall park) and would become a magnet for daytime loitering... plans dropped.

Selling for development is now expected for any unneeded land in that 4 block strip.

This corridor is going to be unrecognizable probably in as quick a time frame as most of these super tall buildings can be constructed.

^^^The building at 8th street? I had thought they emptied that building and was wondering if that meant things would be moving forward soon. Guess not now, I was hoping this project would be coming online sooner rather then later. At least Garrison is going up, should help with that corner of 4th ward.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New renderings are out for the revised Citaden. They are not very detailed...but from an architertural point of view this reminds me of Jail Central on 4th St....especially on Page 4 of the linked document.

New Renderings

Looks like the new plan is an 8 story building with 550 residential units and 30,000 sq ft of retail/commercial...most of which will be street level along Graham. Will be interesting to see how 4th Ward reacts to this.

I'm not too concerned about the lack of height....I think the relatively human scale street-wall is fine....the more bothering part is the overall monotone nature of the development. While Post Uptown Place isn't going to win any awards for design, it does have subtle brick patterns, and use of "turrets" at the corner...something to break up the monotony of its hulking mass.

Since there doesn't appear to be any conditions on the material palatte, I'm not holding out high hopes for Citadin. If its as bad as I fear it could be (paneled brick and EIFS), we may reach a new low...ok, not as bad as Park Place.

Of course, they could go stacked brick the whole way, with some accent patterns, and do any ok job with streetscape signage, and it could turn out ok, I've just gotten pessimistic.

Edit. All that said, I see this as a project that isn't likely to launch, because it fails to hit a market niche, unless they can bring a majority of the units to the market under $250k. Going rental, with the plans for conversion would be another option, and considering the land basis, it could work. It would be a lot of rental units to bring to the market at once, but my gut is that it would do ok, considering the location is superior to any apartment community that is close to breaking ground.

man... it's not exactly "eastern block" but, it does remind me of the cheaper housing you see in great britain. since this isn't cheaper housing... that's a really really bad thing. i think this plan is going to meet opposition - as it should. so far, the only thing i have liked about this project is the name and the fact that it is expanding density.

The elevation drawings remind me of "C". I don't like it either, and I'm disappointed in the amount of space it is taking vs. height. I wish the tower idea was revived instead and the rest of the land was used for mix-use or green space.

I wish the towers were still in the mix too, but with over 500 units this will add quite a bit of activity to this part of cc. Im guessing perhaps 1500+ people. DC doesnt have height in its buildings, but has great foot traffic. Thats more important then building height imo.

I now loath this project for two reasons:

Reason 1: It's hideous and I hope the city and the surrounding neighborhoods have something to say about this.

Reason 2: Call me paranoid but this rendering seems an awful lot like the renderings of Charlotte that I have made in the past. I pulled an old one of mine that had the old design of twelve and berkman and changed the color scheme and removed the old citadin design (and somehow some of the smaller buildings around it) and guess what it looks like...

"Their's"

stolencitadin.jpg

Mine

citadinstolemyrendering.jpg

I tried to get the same angle as they did and came close; I couldn't do anything about the color in sketchup, but yea... while in a way, i feel complimented, at the same time it makes me angry. It's sad that it took me all of ten seconds to recognize it was my old rendering.

Archived