Fourth Ward Square Condominiums

tthornburg

• 6 months later...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're probably hoping that existing residents will want to buy in. At 220/ft, a 700 sq ft flat would be 154k. That's actually very reasonable compared to the new condo towers.

I have heard from friends who have lived at Fourth Ward Square that the building leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to sound dampening. You can hear your neighbors, especially those above and below you very easily. I'm afraid while they may install awesome interiors inside, they can't fix a structural issue like this. I would think a better bargain might be Quarterside or a newer property in 1st Ward. The 4th Ward location is pretty good clutch however.

It's almost impossible to retrofit effective sound insulation on an existing building in an cost effective manner. This is also an area where the developers will "value engineer" a building because a noisy building looks just as good as a quiet building. On some field trips where we went to look at the construction of some of the buildings downtown, this item if often discussed as many of the buildings that have been put up are going to be really noisy. Even the high rises are not exempt from this as several people have complained on this forum about utility noise in the Trademark.

Some people are bothered by this, others are not. If noise is an issue, I recommend staying away from a garden style unit in a low rise building unless you are on the top floor, unless you know there was concrete used between the floors. Some of the ones in downtown were built this way, but most are not.

Who is getting money and loans to buy these? Even if they are hoping that current renters are going to purchase these because they are some of the lowest real estate in uptown, who is going to get the loan and desire to? I don't know if this is the best time for this.

Why would the developer want to try to unload the apartments as condos? Sounds to me like they are losing money and are trying to make as quick of a profit as they can considering they have had the property for several years now. We shall see if their plan works though. I am sure that someone somewhere would want to buy into this, but the real problem is trying to get approved for a loan.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like these are about to go on sale. Heard condos were going on sale for 99k-160k (one and two bedrooms, respectively) in 4th ward (which I'm guessing these are them) with granite, other upgrades. While I still think more condos are a bad idea, these might actually be priced correctly to sell well, especially for the location. We shall see, but the pricing is much more competitive than I expected to see. I guess I'm jaded by the $1000/sqft type pricing of the Vue and other high prices. I'm hoping against hope there is some retail worked in!

I stopped by the other day. These are selling like hotcakes in Ottawa. They have sold 46 out of 55 units in the first phase. A 560sf 1br goes for 99,900; a 690sf 1br goes for $120,900 a 2br/2.5ba 992sf goes for $160,900. These are going for as cheap as $162/sf. The model is quite stylish, decked out with all IKEA furniture. Granite countertops in ktichen and bathroom. Undermount sink in kitchen, bowl style sink in bathroom. Laminate faux-wood flooring, translucent modern cabinet doors and laundry sliding door..carpet in bedroom. Stainless steel appliances included, full sizes GE W/D included. Dual flush/water saver toilets.

But it keeps some more affordable housing options in uptown. We often decry everything being all shiny and new and expensive...

It's nice to see that there are condos selling well in uptown -- there are actually quite a few units moving all over the uptown area but these numbers are fantastic. Price point makes a big difference.

I'm not opposed to them because of their price-point.....I just wish that that a more urban design could be built there. In other words, build a apartment building that has strong urban design, and once it ages in 20 years then sell it as condos. I just don't like that we will FOREVER be stuck with this crap on a relatively major urban street.

Obviously 20 years is a bit out of reach of obtaining social goals now, but the urban form of the city will fill far outlive any of the current or future residents.....condos are just, so, permanent. In fact, they are probably the most permanent buildings anywhere, so I like to see them done right.

Archived