News on the Ivanhoe, 801 N. Orange?

stevecrew0518

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah sure, why not?

Ain't happening. The little birdie told me the powers that be still express great interest in the project, however you can thank escalation and honesty for this one. Birdie says that this one was about 23.6% cheaper when it was proposed. Now, come to find out like a bad NBA ref, shaved and underpriced for later change order nightmare. The scope review by the GC to remain nameless, was shoddy. My suspicion, I mean the birdies, was substantiated.

I have a feeleing this story isin't over yet.

Yeah sure, why not?

Ain't happening. The little birdie told me the powers that be still express great interest in the project, however you can thank escalation and honesty for this one. Birdie says that this one was about 23.6% cheaper when it was proposed. Now, come to find out like a bad NBA ref, shaved and underpriced for later change order nightmare. The scope review by the GC to remain nameless, was shoddy. My suspicion, I mean the birdies, was substantiated.

blah. terrible friday morning news. but thanks native

Yeah sure, why not?

I agree. I am waiting to see how this one is going to turn out

In that area, that Shin Restaurant (same building as Citrus) looks like it is close to opening. The tables and chairs have been in there for over a week. The counters were just done and the rice cookers are already in place. Looks like they just need to bring in some fresh fish, sharp knives and start boiling the rice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[This is the same note for all of my picture posts today] I'm in town for a few days and today I went for a ride around downtown to see what's new. I took a few pictures as I drove around and the weather turned pretty crappy, so I'm not too proud of these shots...but at least you'll get an idea of what's happening.

img4945sf0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

any updates on this?

figured I'd ask amidst all this great news surrounding the metro lately, such as:

1. Wyndham Heathrow

2. JW Marriott Winter Park

3. WTC uptown

4. Busch Entertainment HQ

5. CFRAIL jumping more hurdles lately edging closer to reality

6. other stuff?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

New life for the Verde?

Pulled from GDC Web site:

Verde is located on a 2.5-acre site at the corner of North Orange Avenue and Marks Street in downtown Orlando. The revised plan for this project shows approximately 300 mid-rise apartments in 5-story buildings. The 300-unit, 120/du/acre density, which is extraordinary in a wood-frame property, is made possible through a shared-parking arrangement with the adjoining office building, which significantly reduces the construction and effective land costs for the project. GDC is induced for $70MM in tax-exempt financing through the Orange County Housing Finance Agency and is planning to use approximately $45MM of these bonds to fund a smaller version of the Verde project.

Yea, i went to focus group meeting a month ago regarding the proposal for this revised plan. They ask for inputs regarding various floor plans and architecture of the building, even the name. They want to make the bottom retail area an art "district". I gave the developer an earful on why they cant go higher than 5 stories to take advantage of the Lake Ivanhoe views, but they supposely did a cost estimate and 5 stories was their breakeven point. I got paid $75 cash just for speaking about downtown living and urban issues......if I can only do that for a living :)

saw a new plan today for ustler's 800 n orange ave building by baker barrios. plan "c" is five stories tall with no parking garage and has 45' between the building and the side of park north condos (fixing concerns with the last plan). it's pretty skinny (the lot is approx. 100' x 250' deep) with room for one retail joint on bottom, office condos, and a few residential units on top. i can't seem to find the plans online, but if anyone's good at finding those things, it's permit case number LDC2008-00054.

oh yeah, and they're going to apply to the fdot for a curb cut and access to the lot from orange avenue. before, the plans called for access via park north's guest parking, which became a legal pita.

I have seen Verde's renderings as well. I think the low scale looks a lot better in that neighborhood. And the rents are more realistic to obtain. Verde by itself will not do it, but combined with 800, this area is becoming a neighborhood.

FYI, I do not hink they are using bond financing, rather public.

Although I'm not thrilled with the new proposal I'm not totally against it either. It would have been nice to see another high rise on this side of downtown but the 5 story residential seems to meld well the way this side of downtown is currently developing. With the other residential complexes here, it will help to go further in creating a neighborhood feel and quite frankly, anything is better than the current empty lots. Plus it's going to be a woodframe building, if the market ever really demanded it, it would be easy to demo and construct over.

So that's the Verde. I think they should call it El Blanco now. I don't know why, but the lines make me think of southwest architecture. Throw some palms and cacti around the sidewalks for just a little color.

And very importantly, OCF makes a great point regarding the future value of the land/property and the ease of demolition. It could be used in a decade or two as kindling for a bonfire for a Magic or Preds playoff run.

The main thing as far as I'm concerned is that they don't use up all the available land parcels north of Colonial for these 5 story complexes. Yes, it's nice that there will be a neighborhood up there, & yes that is better than nothing but empty lots, but I doubt that once a complex goes up on a site, that a mere ten years later someone will come along & tear it down for a highrise. They'll just go look someplace else. Once something is built on a lot, it's likely gonna be there for 20 years or more.

So that's the Verde. I think they should call it El Blanco now. I don't know why, but the lines make me think of southwest architecture. Throw some palms and cacti around the sidewalks for just a little color.

I think it looks a bit "Miami".

A bit TOO Miami.

Archived