News on the Ivanhoe, 801 N. Orange?

stevecrew0518

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im sexcited, this is going to be great, Verde, TT, North Eola Tower thing by Panera, Lutheran tower, capital plaza, OUC, Plus one, and whatever else is getting started soon, a whole new wave of cranes will be moving into town.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but which project is Plus one again?

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but which project is Plus one again?

it's the ESP clone across Orange from BOA. sorry, no pix that I can quickly locate to post for you.

I'll be excited when I see dirt flying. I'm tainted... not pessimistic, mind you... just tainted.

tomorrow night ustler's coming to our park north association meeting to discuss his interest in purchasing the 800 n orange avenue lot (which is now owned by a land trust) catty-corner to 801. this lot is actually surrounded on three sides (by park north's complex and park north's guest parking) so at this time it only has access from orange avenue.

also, it is fenced off from the public at this time because it's contaminated grounds (from when i think orlando sentinel dumped its ink there, but i could be wrong)

should be interesting!

What's considered affordable housing in downtown Orlando? $1,500 a month? I thought I remember a quote from Patty Sheehan mentioning that it was around $240,000 for a house. Regardless of the amount, I still don't think that the intended tenants will be living there. This type of incentive is made for fireman, policeman, nurses, etc and these average workers will still probably not be able to afford the rates.

Also, didn't Buddy Dyer specifically say that there would be no more CRA tax money to go toward any projects unless they were in the Parramore district? Are they getting away from that because it technically isn't a tax incentive, but actually a tax break?

Can anyone clarify either of these issues for me?

back from the park north hoa meeting. ustler's dream for 800 is to buy the lot from the land trust and develop it as he does with his other properties: mid-rise office/retail "because that's what's hot." for the small lot, he says he envisions an outdoor living room/colonnade-type separation with tables and water features between the north side of the property and park north . . . and "boutique" office space replete with an elevator or scissor-style parking garage useful to area residents at night and on weekends. his pie-in-the-sky dream is a top floor with four penthouses.

14-20 months planning, 14 months to build.

of course he hasn't bought the land yet. but when he does, he says he'll sod it for public use (since construction of the verde will essentially take away the area's green space) until they're ready to bring in the pre-fab concrete walls.

incidentally, in two weeks he's moving his whole outfit to 801, so at least he's vested in the neighborhood.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

Stir of activity may signal start of new high-rise

Posted May 17, 2007

Little is certain in commercial real estate development, where big announcements are often followed by dead silence and for-sale signs. But the equipment recently plopped on the big lot at the corner of North Orange Avenue and Marks Street suggests that a twin, 35-story apartment tower complex may be moving closer to reality. GDC Properties has begun soil testing there, the first step on the long path to construction. GDC says it is still fine-tuning plans for the project, which it previously said would include 476 apartments.

What's considered affordable housing in downtown Orlando? $1,500 a month? I thought I remember a quote from Patty Sheehan mentioning that it was around $240,000 for a house. Regardless of the amount, I still don't think that the intended tenants will be living there. This type of incentive is made for fireman, policeman, nurses, etc and these average workers will still probably not be able to afford the rates.

Also, didn't Buddy Dyer specifically say that there would be no more CRA tax money to go toward any projects unless they were in the Parramore district? Are they getting away from that because it technically isn't a tax incentive, but actually a tax break?

Depends on how much you make. When state bonds are used, the price of the apartment/house is determied by your household income. So if your household income is 60k a year, take that and multiply it by 30% and divide by 12 and that is roughly what you would pay. The affordable and attainable are income driven. The market rate units are whatever the market will bear.

I do not remeber the Mayor saying that, but I assume that he meant incentives w/o affordable housing. As in no more Plazas unless they have affordable housing. Besides, it would not be a good idea to put all the affordable housing in Parramore. Parramore is already affordable. Eola needs affordale housing.

Not me ... but:

Just my opinion: but the media does a lot of sensationalizing of these numbers. Many of the incentives are tax reductions on a new project ... that often would not be built otherwise; so in reality the city may still be collecting more money than they would had the lot stayed empty or run-down properties stayed there. Second, some of the money the media calls incentives are loans, albiet low interest. If these are really incentives then I'm getting incentives on my house and my car. Third, some of the money is the city purchasing use of garage space that saves them from building their own garages. The media lumps it all together then prints it as a MEGA-MILLION give-away because it sells more papers than explaning the details.

I do not remeber the Mayor saying that, but I assume that he meant incentives w/o affordable housing. As in no more Plazas unless they have affordable housing. Besides, it would not be a good idea to put all the affordable housing in Parramore. Parramore is already affordable. Eola needs affordale housing.

Thanks for the explanation of affordable housing. That's great for anybody.

And I was thinking what you're saying about the incentives, because what I perceived as true incentives from the city was The Plaza (for the theater) and The Paramount (for the grocery store/Publix).

so the big mystery here with Verde was some sort of approval from the CRA for supplying affordable housing units within the tower. I guess the CRA will decide on approving this within the next month or so. I gather that if the approve it, it will move forward. THis is probably one of the big issues Jack was alluding to last week. TV 13 had a report on it yesterday at noon.

so the big mystery here with Verde was some sort of approval from the CRA for supplying affordable housing units within the tower. I guess the CRA will decide on approving this within the next month or so. I gather that if the approve it, it will move forward. THis is probably one of the big issues Jack was alluding to last week. TV 13 had a report on it yesterday at noon.

The Verde has several incentives lined up for affordable housing. $115 m from county and $5 from another source. The CRA incentive will be tax relief in addition to these.

The Verde has several incentives lined up for affordable housing. $115 m from county and $5 from another source. The CRA incentive will be tax relief in addition to these.

I thought they were looking for state money as well. Maybe that's the $5MM.

Need to start a Verde page. These towers will really stand out when approaching from the Northeast side of town, coming down I-4. They will be a mile closer than the other tall buildings and will appear even taller.

Just think... , by fall we could have two sets af twin towers going up with each being over 400'.

I dont know what they consider affordable but they dont need to be charging half the price that others are paying to live in the same buildings that is not fair, and those people are typically the ones that trash the places and I pay my share and half there share b/c my taxes are going to subsidize them living there. I have stated this before, if they want affordable make it affordable for someone that has a job, not someone that is jobless and lived on the streets, to be able to move into these places, i live at cityview and i am moving out soon, just bought a house downtown, im glad to be moving out of there, the price i pay compared to 50% of the people that live there is ridiculous. The businesses in the bottom of the building are not doing good, they need to just let developers build condos or apts and charge what they want for them. Obviously if there is no demand for low income apts then they wont build them, or shouldnt. THe government needs to stop putting its hands in my pockets so that poor people and live downtown and trash the place that they live in.

Archived