Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Christ & St. Luke's....

I'm elated to hear this news, though I may soon be hearing the other side of the story from my sister who's on the building committee. The plan is remarkably ugly and is out of scale with both the church and the neighborhood. Back to the drawing board for them!

Regarding the site plan above, is this where Baker's is located, or am I a couple of blocks off?

Yea, the building on the right is the Generic Theater, and on the left is a senior center. Across the street between the split in the road is the Tap House.

Great bar, great scene. This was exactly where i was thinking it would be, there's no real 'good' places otherwise. also there's a pet day care and Nationwide Insurance office building beside the theater (my insurance agent works there) Should be a good project, they'll need to redo the 21st St/Hampton blvd corridor infrastructure however for this project to have any hope of success long term

Another store leaving Ghent

People told Steve Brodie he was taking a big risk. When he opened his tiny toy store on Shirley Avenue in Ghent four and a half years ago, several friends pointed out that he would be trying to establish a business in a neighborhood that other retailers were abandoning.

Brodie forged ahead anyway, thinking that Ghent, with its walkable streets, educated population and alternative mindset would welcome a toy store that, in every way, would be the antithesis of Toys R Us

We really need to find a solution to this parking problem. I'm sure there is some land in Ghent where they can build an actual parking garage. The lack of space is starting to strangle that area.

Woohoo, YES! Now they can replace him with another retail pharmacy!!!

Joking aside, everyone in the area makes a big deal about Ghent, but the truth is, is that it is a medium sized neighborhood of mostly single family homes, and that is a tough sell with a small business. Also, I have NEVER had trouble parking there, but I know the area like the back of my hand. I think maybe one time I might have had trouble finding a spot at Panera Bread, so I just parked across the street.... Oh, how I miss the raisin bread with the powdered sugar on top from there... mmmm

Quick question, but aren't American businesses required to supply adequate parking for their customers? I know that in Japan a new law passed fairly recently states that any new business that opens has to have enough parking for its customers, even though it never seems to be the case! :lol:

Did Panera close also?

No, still open

Parking is an issue on Colley, some places have small surface lots behind their locations, but many of the mom and pop places rely on street parking or 'renting' spaces from the surface lots, which adds to their overhead. But remember, the city wants to forcefully steal the land behind No Frill Grill to build extra parking.... :rolleyes:

Quick question, but aren't American businesses required to supply adequate parking for their customers? I know that in Japan a new law passed fairly recently states that any new business that opens has to have enough parking for its customers, even though it never seems to be the case! :lol:

Only in new construction and where space allows.

Only in new construction and where space allows.

The city should just build a small garage on the school parking lot behind the Zeros/Dairy Queen. They may want to consider incorporating some ground level space for retail or office while they are building it...

I think the real struggle here is that Ghent is stuck b/n being a place supported and sustained by residents and a place that is visited by suburbanites. It has to make a decision to be one or the other. I don't think there are enough residents there to support the current amount of retail etc. If it wants to grow, then, unfortunately in my opinion, it is going to have to be more open to attracting and retaining suburbanites. I don't have a problem with this motivation; but, I do have a problem with the way that it is typically done. Neighborhoods seem to make poor choices (e.g., the coming huge parking lot behind no frills vs. a parking garage on a parking lot that already exists). I just hope they can scale without taking away from the overall Ghent presence. I think they can, but they'll have to be deliberate about it.

It also can depend on the zoning of different localities.

I think the real struggle here is that Ghent is stuck b/n being a place supported and sustained by residents and a place that is visited by suburbanites. It has to make a decision to be one or the other. I don't think there are enough residents there to support the current amount of retail etc. If it wants to grow, then, unfortunately in my opinion, it is going to have to be more open to attracting and retaining suburbanites. I don't have a problem with this motivation; but, I do have a problem with the way that it is typically done. Neighborhoods seem to make poor choices (e.g., the coming huge parking lot behind no frills vs. a parking garage on a parking lot that already exists). I just hope they can scale without taking away from the overall Ghent presence. I think they can, but they'll have to be deliberate about it.

Well, lets not forget about 201 twenty-one. Row/Bristol at Ghent was really on the edge of ghent and therefore didn't make that large of an impact. 201 twenty-one however is smack in the middle and I think it will make a substantial difference in the amount of street life and the business at surrounding stores.

We really need to find a solution to this parking problem. I'm sure there is some land in Ghent where they can build an actual parking garage. The lack of space is starting to strangle that area.

It's odd that you say that. When I visit Carrytown and The Fan in Richmond, there is LESS parking and more businesses. Part of the problem of Ghent is that it so full of parking lots. It is not very walkable and people are further encouraged to come, park and leave by each new lot that opens. I rarely see a lot of foot traffic on either Colley or 21st and that is when people peek in new places and shop.i

To say the least, open parking lots are not the answer. There is some truth to the idea that retail growth may actually improve in places where walking is mandated by the lack of parking. Of coyrse, this is also more likely in cities where public transit is both available and attractive. If the city were to build a central parking garage for the area, retail sales might increase. With the obvious participation of new developers and new projects popping off the boards, this would appear to be a no-brainer for the city.

• 1 month later...

So that image we saw of the B&O was real! Why does it say first Virginia appearance when their website shows one in Tysons Corner?

Because like the rest of Virginia, insidebiz doesn't consider Nova part of Va (J/K :silly: )

• 2 weeks later...

Major developments pitched for Ghent :shades:

The city has received three proposals, each of which could enrich tax coffers and lure shoppers, jobs and residents. The city appraised the site at $5 million.

Robert M. Stanton, of Stanton Partners, the only member of one of the three groups to speak publicly, said his company's development would capitalize on Norfolk Southern railroad tracks that run adjacent to the site.

Called Ghent Station, the Stanton proposal would combine a brick exterior with a four-story clock tower reminiscent of an old train station. It also would have a common area where customers and tenants could watch trains.

Cooper Realty, a firm headquartered downtown, piqued the city's interest in redeveloping the site earlier this year as part of a group that submitted an unsolicited proposal for a mixed-use commercial and retail center.

Councilman Barclay C. Winn called the Cooper proposal, which included stores and offices, "quite impressive." Nonetheless, city officials decided to seek other plans.

Bids also came from the Stanton/Robinson group and from Bristol Development, a Franklin, Tenn., group that developed a condo and apartment complex on Monticello Avenue.

Wow, this sounds very exciting. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like anything big but is a new development for ghent.

2709 colonial, multi-family; new condo construction (final review)

This went before design review on june 25th. I'll be interested to find out what it was.

Archived