Ghent developments

Former Resident of HR

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta believe that the city wouldnt be foolish enough to actually follow through on the eminent domain threat. If these people truly do not want to sell, and they're well off enough to thumb their nose at $1.2 million offer, i can see this ending up in court, and the city losing badly. I know that eminent domain was ruled constitutional last year, but this was not what the precedent was set for. Parking? The court would laugh Norfolk out of the courtroom. The op/ed raised the biggest point, this isn't for a police station or fire station that is a necessity for the common good, it's a friggin parking lot that wouldn't serve a three quarters the traffic in Ghent now. And who in their right mind would pay to park on the lot? Not when there's free parking scattered across Ghent. This isn't a parking garage that would fix parking in the area, this is a waste of land that would contribute to a handful of stores, leaving us to foot the bill for absurdity. Ask a 21st Street shop owner if they give a damn about the parking lot on Colley, and the answer would most definitely be no, and they don't want to foot the bill to help their competition. At the end of the day, the city cannot make this move, it's posturing because they know they can't. And this family doesn't look like they're going to fall for it, thankfully.

I gotta believe that the city wouldnt be foolish enough to actually follow through on the eminent domain threat. If these people truly do not want to sell, and they're well off enough to thumb their nose at $1.2 million offer, i can see this ending up in court, and the city losing badly. I know that eminent domain was ruled constitutional last year, but this was not what the precedent was set for. Parking? The court would laugh Norfolk out of the courtroom. The op/ed raised the biggest point, this isn't for a police station or fire station that is a necessity for the common good, it's a friggin parking lot that wouldn't serve a three quarters the traffic in Ghent now. And who in their right mind would pay to park on the lot? Not when there's free parking scattered across Ghent. This isn't a parking garage that would fix parking in the area, this is a waste of land that would contribute to a handful of stores, leaving us to foot the bill for absurdity. Ask a 21st Street shop owner if they give a damn about the parking lot on Colley, and the answer would most definitely be no, and they don't want to foot the bill to help their competition. At the end of the day, the city cannot make this move, it's posturing because they know they can't. And this family doesn't look like they're going to fall for it, thankfully.

Eminent domain has always been constitutional. The difference is in who is getting the condemnation. The city will not condemn the property and give it to a developer, which is what got taken to the supreme court. This condemnation is well within the cities rights if it deems necessary. Also, this is nothing like what the GSA was trying to do to marathon. This is a totally different situation. Maybe if the owners bought the land and were planning on building some type of develpment there I could see the comparison. But that is not what is going on here. The city is offering a premium price on a piece of land to do it's duty as a city which is to be able to grow and benefit economically. I practically lived at the Naro and San Antonio Sam's for many years and yes parking has always been tight. I don't know how anyone in there right mind can disagree with that. However, I think that the city could use the lot to build a small parking garage or somthing other than a surface lot. But, parking is definately a need in Ghent.

I agree that parking is always tight in Ghent, but the Colley Ave corridor isn't all there is to Ghent is my point. I dont think one parking lot with 60 spaces for a shopping corridor that's 10-12 blocks in one direction (Colley) and 1/2 mile in the other (21st St) does anything but look ridiculous and bullying on the part of the city. I live two blocks away from Colley so i always just walk, but parking has always been a problem in Ghent. But this isn't a solution, or even a band-aid. You're right, a small parking garage would do more to solve the problem than this lame attempt. By measuring the traffic of Colley and 21st St, i can't understand how the city might believe that 60 spaces would be anywhere near enough for the traffic of the area. And to my point, why should Starbucks on Colley be given preferential treatment over the one on 21st St? Or Dairy Queen over Cold Stone? Why is the city singling out Colley for parking when there's other issues that need addressing? I'd rather see $1.2 million for enhanced landscaping, replacing the trees, linking Colley and 21st St more, advancing the connection from 21st and Manteo down towards Llewyellen (or however you spell it) to encompass 201 Twenty One. Just seems like there's alot better ways to spend this money than bullying a family that doesn't want to sell. But parking definitely needs help in Ghent, specifically Colley, but i dont see this as a solution, just a stop-gap measure.

More parking lots in Ghent? Give me a break! Parking is ample enough for people who are not afraid to freaking WALK. Taking this land for a lot? OMG the city is losing its marbles. Parking in Ghent has never been bad enough to warrant a $1.2M lot. Again it is humorous how the city pampers the spoiled rotten yuppies of Ghent at the expense of the rest of the city. P-U-K-E.

I still think that this is not so far fetched a proposal. In an eminent domain process, a fair market value is given to the property owner, not some inflated number proposed by the land owner. A vacant lot might also be designated as "blighted." This isn't the same as taking away a home. The public purpose aspect of the lot is arguable, but not irrefutable. A multi-level garage would be better, but very costly. Meters and neighborhood resident stickers are probably the next phase.

A multi-level garage would be better, but very costly.

Costly, yes, but when they are already paying 1.2 million for a 60-space surface lot they may as well go for the more desirable end result to make it worth their money and effort, even in it means spending more. Paying 2.5 million for a small (3-storey) deck that holds 200 cars sounds much more reasonable than their current proposal.

Yes, but they may not have to pay so much with a "fair market value" appaisal. A multi-level lot might work out better closer to 21st street. It would be more in character with the surroundings and larger lots would be easier to find. That could give people a fairly short walk to the center of activity.

A multi-level lot might work out better closer to 21st street. It would be more in character with the surroundings and larger lots would be easier to find. That could give people a fairly short walk to the center of activity.

I agree. But then why not pursue that option and leave this parcel alone?

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot if the Ellington was the development that was on Redgate where a Brady Bunch looking building used to be. The past few times that I have driven by there, it's just an empty lot and no more sign. Anyone know if it's been canceled?

Is this the lot at Redgate and Hampton Blvd.? If so, it looked there had been some activity there recently. The sidewalks are closed, and there are some cones up... Some activity, huh? :D

• 1 month later...

Anyone else see that they are converting the apartment building on Princess Anne and Colley (right across from Magnolia) into condos? They look pretty sleek and modern when compared with how it currently looks. They start at $350,000, which, believe it or not, isn't too expensive for the area.

Anyone know anything further about this? It's been at least 6 months, i drive by the building constantly and there's been no change, has this project been shelved with the lack of demand?

Is this the lot at Redgate and Hampton Blvd.? If so, it looked there had been some activity there recently. The sidewalks are closed, and there are some cones up... Some activity, huh? :D

I'm 75% sure the Ellington was canceled, there has been no activity on this lot for some time now, unless you count mowing the high grass activity...

I did a small walk through Ghent today and have some news...

Cora, the restaurant on 21st has a sign that says "closed forever, thanks for 5 years". The camera shop next to Commonwealth is also out of business in Ghent.

Stopped in to Broad Street books and there is a very cool book about Colonial Place/Riverview.

The new strip-type mall on 22nd looks neat but doesn't seem to have that many viable tennants lined up.

I'll look for a copy of the ghent newsletter and see what else is new.

Archived