Norfolk History

wrldcoupe4

Sigh...... "...choose to comment on" ??

Isn't this THE history of Norfolk?  Anything else would be hella new my guy and nothing worth talking about.  Plus, not for nothing my guy but there's only so much actual history left in Norfolk.  This was Norfolk's doing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

Sigh...... "...choose to comment on" ??

Isn't this THE history of Norfolk?  Anything else would be hella new my guy and nothing worth talking about.  Plus, not for nothing my guy but there's only so much actual history left in Norfolk.  This was Norfolk's doing.  

There are other facets of the history of Norfolk. I get it, believe me I do, there was massive destruction of buildings in the early sixties, many of which could have and should have been saved from the wrecking ball. It is oft repeated here. It is too bad that it happened, but there are other aspects of this cities history of which you seem to be unaware. The entire city was burned to the ground  by the British Navy (save for St. Paul's Episcopal church,) on New Years eve of 1776.

The City was taken over by the military during WW I, changing the entire complexion of the Hampton Roads area going forward. Neither of those are hella new, but both caused great upheaval for Norfolk, and the region. 

That's not to mention the effects of segregation and massive resistance to integration during the 1960's and '70's. Believe me, there are other interesting, and meaningful events which took place here.  

Edited by NFKjeff
Clarity.
  • Like 1

I just found the pictures online. I didn't know what to label it as so I just put that for a title. 

On 4/28/2024 at 11:57 PM, NFKjeff said:

Keep on beating the dead horse. We get it. 

Isn't this the history page? Excuse me for posting pictures of 1920s Norfolk AND the destruction of said Norfolk. 

Let me just make a comment for a second, I see like 3 different posts wanting me to post stuff about "The future" instead of the renewal. But I don't think some of y'all understand that this is the history page. Im focusing on the past here because this page is litterly the place to do it. So excuse me for posting historical photos of Norfolk and its destruction. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like most on here I wish Norfolk hadn't gone overboard in the 50's, 60's and 70's and torn down perfectly sound buildings simply because they were old.  There was a reason why leaders at that time tore down so many homes wrongly or rightly.  They were replaced by better newer homes.  A lot of slipshod construction was done in Norfolk to accommodate the influx of military personnel during WWI and WWII.  After WWII Norfolk had a lot of substandard housing that the city had to deal with.  Its hard to judge their decisions through today's lens.  I really do believe they thought they were doing the right thing.   Many black leaders applauded the city for building public housing with electricity and indoor plumbing.  Hindsight being 20/20 we now realize that warehousing people into a segregated area with few services was a mistake.  I am sure that people living 50 years in the future will look back at this time of re-development and have many criticisms of the decisions of city leaders.   

Norfolk Houses 1966.jpg

195312HISTORICAL00076.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

There are other facets of the history of Norfolk. I get it, believe me I do, there was massive destruction of buildings in the early sixties, many of which could have and should have been saved from the wrecking ball. It is oft repeated here. It is too bad that it happened, but there are other aspects of this cities history of which you seem to be unaware. The entire city was burned to the ground  by the British Navy (save for St. Paul's Episcopal church,) on New Years eve of 1776.

The City was taken over by the military during WW I, changing the entire complexion of the Hampton Roads area going forward. Neither of those are hella new, but both caused great upheaval for Norfolk, and the region. 

That's not to mention the effects of segregation and massive resistance to integration during the 1960's and '70's. Believe me, there are other interesting, and meaningful events which took place here.  

You do realize you are welcome to post anything you find interesting about Norfolk's history. If there is something you come across that you think is worth sharing, please do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

I just found the pictures online. I didn't know what to label it as so I just put that for a title. 

Isn't this the history page? Excuse me for posting pictures of 1920s Norfolk AND the destruction of said Norfolk. 

Let me just make a comment for a second, I see like 3 different posts wanting me to post stuff about "The future" instead of the renewal. But I don't think some of y'all understand that this is the history page. Im focusing on the past here because this page is litterly the place to do it. So excuse me for posting historical photos of Norfolk and its destruction. 

mintscraft,

I apologize to you. I was not intending to single you out. It is just a recurring thing that occurs often when old b&w phots of downtown are posted. The commentary usually goes straight to the regret and shame of what happened to many old buildings during the period of  "urban renewal." It is understandable, albeit predictable. We continue to lament. 

I enjoy your contributions to this site, and again offer my sincere apology. 

4 hours ago, urbanlife said:

You do realize you are welcome to post anything you find interesting about Norfolk's history. If there is something you come across that you think is worth sharing, please do.

You are quite right. I will consider doing just that. I was mostly trying to remind the quoted poster that the history of Norfolk did not begin and end with the efforts of urban renewal in the 60's and 70's as he suggested.

• Like 1

This here is The USS Norfolk which was a destroyer that served till the 70s. The only one of her class (Norfolk Class). She is the biggest ship to ever carry the name "USS Norfolk" 

USS Norfolk (DL-1)

Her main guns are stored in NS Norfolk and her main bell is actually displayed downtown. I pass by it everyday and I never noticed the history of it!

USS Norfolk Bell Historical Marker

The Third USS Norfolk has little known details. We just know she served in the Quasi-War with France in 1798. No pictures, or parts remain of her. She was lost to history after a successful career. We have no idea of her whereabouts after being sold and either scrapped or sunk. Makes me sad :(. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Norfolk_(1798)

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:07 PM, NFKjeff said:

"seem to be unaware"

I swear if I made this exact comment a year ago the moderators would've given me a strike, but I digress;  @baobabs727, am I lying???  

Check it out bro;  I know plenty of NFK history.  What I'm saying is that the homie Mintscraft didn't NOT mention history.  That's history.  If you're tired of hearing about it then yes!  Post about those things you mentioned.  Telling someone that what they post is beating a dead horse is just rude.  I truly appreciate what Mints posted.  Some of those things, particularly the photos, I haven't even seen b4 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:29 PM, NFKjeff said:

mintscraft,

I apologize to you. I was not intending to single you out. It is just a recurring thing that occurs often when old b&w phots of downtown are posted. The commentary usually goes straight to the regret and shame of what happened to many old buildings during the period of  "urban renewal." It is understandable, albeit predictable. We continue to lament. 

You are quite right. I will consider doing just that. I was mostly trying to remind the quoted poster that the history of Norfolk did not begin and end with the efforts of urban renewal in the 60's and 70's as he suggested.

That's not what I was suggesting...

I was saying "that is Norfolk history."

Why is it ok to single "me" out though?  That's exactly what got me banned B4 🤔 

Edited by ONCE1stBlvd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

do not fret, my friend, for no one is going to get banned for posting about the history of Norfolk in a history of Norfolk thread.  history is history. and in this case it's also herstory. sorry, bad joke. but truth is truth.  and you, @ONCE1stBlvd ,speak the truth here. everyone is free to focus on his/her/their own particular interests re: the history of Norfolk.  

Edited by baobabs727
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:29 PM, NFKjeff said:

mintscraft,

kind of you to apologize to our resident, beloved youngster, but need I remind you that "the quoted poster" has a name: @ONCE1stBlvd 

query: were you in Norfolk in the 50's and 60's, and if so, did you participate in the carnage? all of this seems personal for you. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

kind of you to apologize to our resident, beloved youngster, but need I remind you that "the quoted poster" has a name: @ONCE1stBlvd 

query: were you in Norfolk in the 50's and 60's, and if so, did you participate in the carnage? all of this seems personal for you. 

Yes, I was in Norfolk in the 60's, as I was born in old Leigh Hospital in 1962, so I was too young to participate in the "carnage".  To my knowledge, neither did any  of my relatives. No, it is not personal. The only thing that bothers me in the least about such posts is their repetitive nature. It's almost a Pavlovian reaction when old pictures of downtown are posted. I understand though, as it is what the images bring to mind for most people.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

Yes, I was in Norfolk in the 60's, as I was born in old Leigh Hospital in 1962, so I was too young to participate in the "carnage".  To my knowledge, neither did any  of my relatives. No, it is not personal. The only thing that bothers me in the least about such posts is their repetitive nature. It's almost a Pavlovian reaction when old pictures of downtown are posted. I understand though, as it is what the images bring to mind for most people.

Yes, "carnage." LOL Oh, the brutality and inhumanity of it all!!!! :😃 .  Sorry lol. Anyway,   good to know it's not personal.  And at least we can't hear the barking every time someone reflexively posts about it.  3 am barking drives me mad. Although some say his dogs were salivating, so we couldn't hear that anyway I don't think .

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

NFK Jeff I guess we are the old timers.  I remember a lot of the carnage of the late 60s, 70s and even the 80s.   My dad and I saw the implosion of the Monticello Hotel early in the morning in 1976.  I was born in 1961 at the now non-existent Norfolk Community Hospital that use to sit next to NSU.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

NFK Jeff I guess we are the old timers.  I remember a lot of the carnage of the late 60s, 70s and even the 80s.   My dad and I saw the implosion of the Monticello Hotel early in the morning in 1976.  I was born in 1961 at the now non-existent Norfolk Community Hospital that use to sit next to NSU.   

I was there that day as well. I got a couple of bricks after the dust cleared.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

when did they demo that hospital? I think that may have been the hospital I was born in. I'm a 79 baby

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Still have them? 

I have one, and so does my dad. That was a very memorable implosion to witness. I wish they could have saved the old girl, but alas, when the Federal Govt. wants a new building, they are going to build it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

I have one, and so does my dad. That was a very memorable implosion to witness. I wish they could have saved the old girl, but alas, when the Federal Govt. wants a new building, they are going to build it.

The Federal Building replaced the Monticello Hotel.  The first  facade of the Federal building was orange brick.  Ugly!

20 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I just don't understand why the heck they wanted to build it where Monticello was. We already destroyed half the dang downtown, couldn't it have been cheaper to put it in one of the 30 empty lots? Then again, we are talking about the federal government. No reasoning with it. 

3 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

Correct. Not too long ago, when the Federal Government said they were considering building a new Courthouse downtown they actually floated a plan to close a section of Monticello Ave.

DId this come with any renderings? I'd be interested to see what they had in mind.