Retail in Richmond

vdogg

39 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Spot on, Coupe. Not sure what the actual population of what is "technically" downtown (which for years was defined as everything bounded by I-95, Belvidere Street and the river - so including Jackson and Monroe wards) - but I recall from when I was in undergrad my urban planning professors saying (and this was in the early-mid '80s) that Richmond absolutely NEEDED a downtown population of 30,000 or more to be really viable as a 24-hour place. Given the land area, THAT kind of population density would get the job done. But you're absolutely right - there just isn't the density downtown right now for these kinds of eateries, etc.

30K living downtown?!  Wow!  What do you think downtown’s population is right now?  Wonder how far from 30K we are and how much more work needs to be done. Probably a whole lot!

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

30K living downtown?!  Wow!  What do you think downtown’s population is right now?  Wonder how far from 30K we are and how much more work needs to be done. Probably a whole lot!

Hard to say -- there's been a lot of residential development built over the last 10-20 years with the riverfront highrises plus renovations in Jackson Ward. Maybe 3,000? 5,000?  Getting to 30K residents downtown will take quite a bit of work - but - if enough high-density highrise residential buildings continually get built and fill up - over time - it's maybe doable. Imagine Monroe Ward turned into a veritable "Sherwood Forest" of high rises ... that could seriously boost the downtown population. Admittedly, getting to such a high number will require a LOT more vertical construction of residential buildings. Meaning 30, 40 stories or more. Will that happen? Who knows. Let's see if we can get those 15-20 (or taller!) residential buildings to start popping up. Hopefully the project on W. Grace Street gets underway soon -- that could be one of those "first dominoes" that could get a lot of dominoes to fall in a good way. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 3:21 PM, Icetera said:

May 30th.  I imagine it is all waiting on insurance so this may remain for a bit :(

To update, DTLR has expressed intent to reopen at the same location:

From RTD:

Jeff Bowden, a national spokesman for DTLR, said the company is interested in reopening its Broad Street store once the property owner rebuilds the structure. Bowden said the company lost "upwards of $350,000 to a half-million dollars" in store fixtures, apparel and shoes at the Broad Street location.

About 45 of the company's stores across the country "were totally looted" during the protests and riots, Bowden said, and two locations - including the Richmond store - were destroyed by fire.

"We're finalizing everything with our insurance company and with the landlords, so that we can try and get some of them open by October, and a few more by the end of this year," he said. "And we look forward to opening all of them by the first quarter of 2021."

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Since the start of the year always brings store closings, what will close at Stony Point Fashion Park this year, and when will Saks close?

I think best case scenario is that Saks takes the vacant Nordstrom space when their Stony Point lease expires. 

Short Pump Town Center isn’t faring much better these days. 

I was there after Christmas and at least 1/4 of the spaces are vacant, throw in Nordstrom and 1/3 of the entire mall is vacant.  Some of the new stores are the low budget “collectors” types of stores, one space was occupied by a calendar store that I assume is closed by now. 

I don’t think people have noticed how badly retail in Henrico is suffering.  So much of Broad between Staples  Mill and SPTC is dotted with vacant retail space (the husks of national chains and for profit colleges that no longer exist). I hope the county is working on what it will become when it no longer can exist off of retail sales and office space rentals. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Short Pump Town Center isn’t faring much better these days. 

I was there after Christmas and at least 1/4 of the spaces are vacant, throw in Nordstrom and 1/3 of the entire mall is vacant.  Some of the new stores are the low budget “collectors” types of stores, one space was occupied by a calendar store that I assume is closed by now. 

I don’t think people have noticed how badly retail in Henrico is suffering.  So much of Broad between Staples  Mill and SPTC is dotted with vacant retail space (the husks of national chains and for profit colleges that no longer exist). I hope the county is working on what it will become when it no longer can exist off of retail sales and office space rentals. 

I'll be interested to see the rebound (if it happens) post-Covid. We're still quite a ways from that just yet - but once something approaching 'normal' settles in, I'd be curious to see how brick-and-mortar retail responds -- or have we moved into a new normal where virtual shopping is the norm?

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

From Richmond BizSense:  Dunkin is opening a downtown retail location in the Dominion tower.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/09/08/downtown-getting-its-first-dunkin-location/

Now I'm craving jelly filled donuts.  Speaking of which it would nice if Krispy Kream opened a location in RVA.

Edited by Shakman

• 3 weeks later...