Retail in Richmond

vdogg

4 hours ago, majors2410 said:

Build an urban target downtown where the Charles store was with residential above. We need retail in the main commercial area of downtown.

If we build up a greater critical mass of actual downtown residential population, that could actually work. Right now, I don't see Target going there given the current limited demographic figures. Headcount matters.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, skinsfan said:

There’s also a Target a few miles down at Broad and Libbie. 

Even given the proximity - if we build a sufficient critical mass of downtown residential population to support national name/chain retailers - I'm thinking an actual downtown location would do well regardless of the location farther along up Broad.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Richmonopoly said:

Any word on whether or not the Dollar Store on Broad near VCU is set to reopen?

I see the other retail that was set ablaze has reopened.  I’m wondering will The Dollar Tree reopen in The Opus? 

Nothing had occurred with Dollar Tree's space so I think they just left the location, with Foot Locker replacing it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a big surprise that Saks has closed off its upstairs floor. I think it's positive that they're staying instead of closing completely. As the new owners reposition Stony Point, there's super potential for dense infill residential while keeping a condensed and reduced retail row with a mix of luxury (Saks, Tiffany, etc.), restaurants, and more local-serving retail for residents. The Dick's spot is ripe for residential. It would also be great to add ingress/egress to Huguenot and Cherokee, but I suspect NIMBYs would oppose that. 
https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/10/saks-fifth-avenue-downsizes-at-stony-point-fashion-park/

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Another new to Richmond retailer is opening up shop on Broad.  Hustler is opening a store in the old Pizza Hut across from the science museum.  From what I hear their stores are well done (swanky).  I love the idea of something more seedy (barely seedy) in the downtown area.  That’s a proper city, IMO :)
I’ve been hoping that Taboo would open a store in the arts district (on Broad or Grace).  Oh well.  Someone with deeper pockets beat them to it. 

I’m disappointed that the building remains.  I thought it was destined to be rebuilt as a two story development with housing on the second floor, retail on the ground. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Another new to Richmond retailer is opening up shop on Broad.  Hustler is opening a store in the old Pizza Hut across from the science museum.  From what I hear their stores are well done (swanky).  I love the idea of something more seedy (barely seedy) in the downtown area.  That’s a proper city, IMO :)
I’ve been hoping that Taboo would open a store in the arts district (on Broad or Grace).  Oh well.  Someone with deeper pockets beat them to it. 

I’m disappointed that the building remains.  I thought it was destined to be rebuilt as a two story development with housing on the second floor, retail on the ground. 

Guess they won't be opening a Club any time soon (but it will be swankier)...  :tw_wink:    Maybe something a tad seedy could open on the top floor of the Icon on Marshall - (or the Opus on Broad) - and occupy a penthouse! :tw_joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mean, biology is a science :) 

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been any blather about this store.  Give it time I guess.   I don’t understand why parents get so flustered over things like this.  
I remember  asking my mom what an adult bookstore was.  I was around 9 or 10 and we were driving past one in Hampton.  She just said it was a bookstore for adults.  It didn’t have children's books.   That satisfied my curiosity and no one blushed.  I don’t see what the big deal is. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I’m surprised that there hasn’t been any blather about this store.  Give it time I guess.   I don’t understand why parents get so flustered over things like this.  
I remember  asking my mom what an adult bookstore was.  I was around 9 or 10 and we were driving past one in Hampton.  She just said it was a bookstore for adults.  It didn’t have children's books.   That satisfied my curiosity and no one blushed.  I don’t see what the big deal is. 

Nice!! :tw_thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

There was a thread on Nextdoor a few days ago and some people in The Fan are very upset. I don't recommend for anyone to get on Nextdoor to see it, unless you get a kick out of drama.  :tw_joy:

Edit - I also want to add that I'm excited about this store.  It was sorta needed. :tw_naughty:

Edited by Jawless
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, VAtoNC said:

Nice write up about the restaurant scene in Richmond. Even though I live in Raleigh, its awesome to see Richmond on the rise!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/where-to-eat-in-richmond-virginia?ref=home

VERY cool!! Glad to see RVA getting some good national pub!

This dovetails with other outlets that have been increasingly featuring the RVA food scene in recent years. Guy Fieri has featured the River City on no fewer than EIGHT episodes of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" over the course of several seasons - and there's no reason to suspect he will stop coming to the capital of the Commonwealth down the road. Gordon Ramsay also featured Richmond when he visited Southern Kitchen in Jackson Ward in an early 2020 episode of "24 Hours to Hell and Back".

Seeing this Daily Beast article certainly is very  heartening in that RVA is starting to gain momentum in terms of building national name recognition. Hey - you can keep a gem hidden for only so long, no? :tw_thumbsup::tw_smile:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

This Richmond Magazine article talks about all the local malls, their status, changes they’ve seen over the years, and what’s next.  Pretty good overview and includes some renderings:

https://richmondmagazine.com/life-style/style/richmond-shopping-malls/?fbclid=IwAR37_PmpNqu96IvUPQPAfsz8_csQyl8GRMd9yFhl56e6PU50HYxDG5hEhyI&fs=e&s=cl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, plain said:

As if the Richmond metro doesn't already have a hundred businesses competing for our dollars, here comes, of all things, a Buc-ees!!

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/03/06/buc-ees-could-be-coming-virginia/

Oh wow!  This is a BIG deal!  Everyone I know south of NC LOVES Buc-ees!  It is literally a destination in every sense of the word!  Apparently, us “northerners” don’t understand…yet!  Great to hear they are coming to New Kent!

2027?!  Wow!  That seems so far from now!  Four years?!  Hmmm…

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, plain said:

As if the Richmond metro doesn't already have a hundred businesses competing for our dollars, here comes, of all things, a Buc-ees!!

Nice add to the diverse mix of RVA metro retailing. I wonder if they'll open a second and third location either in the far western reaches (Goochland) or perhaps Hanover?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice add to the diverse mix of RVA metro retailing. I wonder if they'll open a second and third location either in the far western reaches (Goochland) or perhaps Hanover?

I think a perfect location for them would've been on I-95 in Caroline or Hanover County. Maybe at Exit 98 (King's Dominion) where there's the least amount of competition. They would've caught both N-S traffic as well as much of the traffic from the north headed to Hampton Roads.

15 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh wow!  This is a BIG deal!  Everyone I know south of NC LOVES Buc-ees!  It is literally a destination in every sense of the word!  Apparently, us “northerners” don’t understand…yet!  Great to hear they are coming to New Kent!

2027?!  Wow!  That seems so far from now!  Four years?!  Hmmm…

I've been to one in TX. To say that this place is huge is an understatement...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, plain said:

Surprised it’s being announced already for a 2027 opening, that’s pretty far into the future.  Sounds interesting for sure,  would these be anything like the travel stops on the PA turnpike, or there’s something like this in Breezwood, PA, a big draw as you went thru there, at least it was when I was younger and went that way often.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CoStar had an article today about the retail market in Richmond. Apparently vacancy is the lowest on record (since early 2000's), with 4.8% vacancy in the region's 81 million SF of retail space. Lower levels of new construction and increasing population growth are factors.

https://www.costar.com/article/1081385541/available-retail-space-near-record-low-in-richmond

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1