Favorite SC Highrise/Tower?

Hybrid0NE

• 5 months later...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Since the Peacock was reduced in height and changed stylistically, I just wanted to go on the record and announce that it is no longer on the list to potentially become my favorite highrise/tower in SC.

I believe I'll stick with the Poinsett Plaza building in downtown Greenville.

Columbia has a new tower in the mix and one that will soon get a new look. Anyone want to alter their choices?

My current favorite has the possibility to change when the design for Greenville's new tallest is unveiled in the near future for the Gateway site. Fingers crossed for not only height, but also something spectacular to overtake the Landmark building's prominence in the skyline.

The new tower in Columbia has a lot of features I like- large public space, street retail space, etc, so it may actually win my vote. Its not all that appealing to on an architectural level... but like always, I will withold my final opinion until its complete!

I would have to say the Palmetto Building :yahoo: and I am kind of fond of Cap Stone (it catches the eye standing off on its own). :blink:

I agree the Bank of America would have been better with another 10+ stories added to it, especially since they have revived the white light trim. :thumbsup:

10-20 stories taller this woulda been awesome!

S5000188.jpg

I'm pretty sure most of y'all know on here that the ^^^^

BOA tower was suppose to have a twin right across from it, but it got scrapped for some reason...I think that would have been very nice

I like the Capstone too but it's not my favorite.....I'm rolling with the Meridian....BOA and the Palmetto Center...

BOA tower was suppose to have a twin right across from it, but it got scrapped for some reason...I think that would have been very nice

I like the Capstone too but it's not my favorite.....I'm rolling with the Meridian....BOA and the Palmetto Center...

Charleston doesn't have too much tower wise maybe in the future.. There's one building down here that's gorgeous though it may be a little small.

Tower I'm talking about is the Francis Marion hotel. I'd display a picture in here but I have no idea how. check it out on googleimages it's really visually appealing

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah and Capitol Center was going to have a twin also. Maybe, some kinda of recession hit in 1989 when they were both underconstruction and caused the scalebacks?

I hope, they are kicking themselves for not intially building taller, instead waiting to build a phase II. :P

Since the Peacock was reduced in height and changed stylistically, I just wanted to go on the record and announce that it is no longer on the list to potentially become my favorite highrise/tower in SC.

I believe I'll stick with the Poinsett Plaza building in downtown Greenville.

Columbia has a new tower in the mix and one that will soon get a new look. Anyone want to alter their choices?

I would have to go with Colas BOFA building for #1, then Colas Wachovia for #2; they are much better looking than anything Gville has IMO. I do not think Gville has very appealing architecture at this time, but I am still hoping. :) Gville's Poinstt Plaza would probably be my #3, but this is excluding MYB, which I am not really familiar enough with to choose from. Incidentally, I would probably put Spartangurgs highrise in the top 5.

Interesting. I had no idea that the Capitol Center was supposed to have a twin. Are there any other highrises in SC that were supposed to have a twin that was never built?

The only one I know of is Spartanburg's "Dennys Tower" which has had several names over the years. It was supposed to have a twin on the opposite side of the plaza that is adjacent to the building. In fact, if you look at an aerial, or see it in person, you can see the "footprint" of the sister tower that was never constructed outlined in the grass. It would have looked the same, but without the balcony things at the top.

Interesting. I had no idea that the Capitol Center was supposed to have a twin. Are there any other highrises in SC that were supposed to have a twin that was never built?

The only one I know of is Spartanburg's "Dennys Tower" which has had several names over the years. It was supposed to have a twin on the opposite side of the plaza that is adjacent to the building. In fact, if you look at an aerial, or see it in person, you can see the "footprint" of the sister tower that was never constructed outlined in the grass. It would have looked the same, but without the balcony things at the top.

Capitol Center was not supposed to have a twin, the Bank of America Plaza was supposed to have a twin. The Capitol Center was supposed to have a hotel built on the other portion of their property.

...I believe I'll stick with the Poinsett Plaza building in downtown Greenville...

...Anyone want to alter their choices?

No. I am very satisfied with the architecture of the Poinsett Plaza Office Building in downtown Greenville. It easily achieves the highest status for attractive SC high-rise design in my book currently. I don't recall if I mentioned this before or not, but I would have definitely placed Columbia's First Citizens Bank office tower at the top had it been built a bit taller. Even at 8 stories, I still love its Art Deco design.

Capitol Center was not supposed to have a twin, the Bank of America Plaza was supposed to have a twin. The Capitol Center was supposed to have a hotel built on the other portion of their property.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder, if it would've been built where the garage stands now.

I think its fair to have favorites in multiple categories (eg: overall, architecture, design, etc)

My overall favorite is still the Denny's Tower in Spartanburg (see page 1 of this thread). It has an unusual twist on modern architecture with its curved roof and the overhangs. It also does a good job of fitting in with Spartanburg in terms of scale, orientation to the street, etc. its accompanying plaza is not "great" by any stretch, but this may change in the future.

My favorite in terms of architecture is the Palmetto building in Columbia. I previously stated "in terms of design" but I should have said architecture. Its a style that is unique to South Carolina (on a high rise).

My favorite in terms of design, may be a surprise to some of you. From a purely functional standpoint, Cornell Arms in Columba, adjacent to the USC campus is my favorite. It was an originally designed mixed use residential tower in the 1920s or 1940s (i forget which), and is one of the few highrises in the state that maintains this pure form of urbanity. There's about 3 or 4 shops underneath it along with some other restaurants nearby, it doesn't have adequate parking so some people have to park far away. Its an ugly building in most regards, but it functions beautifully.

Poinsett Plaza in Gville is another good contender in this regard. Though it is much newer and has tons of parking behind it, it does address the street well, and it is funcationally a good mixture of office and retail space along Main Street. The only reason I rank it behind Cornell Arms is that it isnt residential. In pretty much every other regard it would out-do Cornell Arms.

I don't find Cornell Arms ugly at all. Quite the contrary. Twenty years ago I thought it had nothing to recommend it, but now it is period.

Claire Tower is even starting to come into its own architecturally, and I used to think they should bomb it and start over.

A couple of weeks or so ago there was a great article in The State about Columbia's examples of buildings that are coming into their own architecturally whereas they were once assumed to be doomed to the wrecking ball some day.

I'll be 50 in August. Maybe it takes getting some age on you to appreciate certain architectural merits.

Poinsett Plaza in Gville is another good contender in this regard. Though it is much newer and has tons of parking behind it, it does address the street well, and it is funcationally a good mixture of office and retail space along Main Street. The only reason I rank it behind Cornell Arms is that it isnt residential. In pretty much every other regard it would out-do Cornell Arms.

Poinsett Plaza actually does incorporate residential space on the upper floors. The parking is in a joint City owned and operated garage which the tower shares with its next door neighbors, mainly a historic hotel and a historic church. The tower also incorporates restaurant space in the attractive plaza, with fountains, trees, green grass, and art, and is comfortably set back from the main pedestrian route. It also is smoothly attached to a historic bank structure on Main Street. And none of this even gets to the quality Art Deco design of the structure itself.

Archived