DDA OKs $3.2M loan for Redico office building

Allan

Yeah, you'd think they would have added a "cut-out" at the entrance like Compuware did to open it up to Campus Martius, since this whole area was concieved as a strong mixed-use development. Still, at least they tried to make it more architecturally interesting than your typical, glass suburban office tower with the decorative parapet, the odd shape, and the lighting effect and spire. With quite a few disappointing projects that have gone up in the city in the past years, this isn't really all that bad. At the worst it's mediocre.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From every rendering I've seen, the spire is rather inconsequential, not adding much to the design at all. Even if it is lit, I can't imagine it being very prominent or worthwhile. That's just my opinion, though. I do believe I heard that it is supposed to be lit, though, they could have been talking about the glass parapet screen.

That is something that even the newspapers haven't been comfortable speculating on. In fact, this building has went up incredibly quiet (media-wise). I literally had to wait for months for find out the height. Even after it began construction the architects didn't want to reveal it or anything else about the design. I suspect, similarly, that we won't know who the retail/restaurant tenants will be until they sign a done deal.

Did anyone notice the little piece of marble facade put on a part of the first floor of the structure? It resembles the Cheesegrater Building's white marble facade! lol

I guess the architect tried to play off surrounding elements.

• 2 months later...

Looks pretty good though I wish I were actually downtown to see it. I've been cooped up in the house lately and it isn't too much fun (well except for catching up on all of the sleep I had been missing.)

I just wish I had an inkling of retail, it's starting to bend my pages a bit.

WS

I keep hearing that there will be 3 retail spaces. One will be on the south end of the building. The other two will be on the north end of the building - one facing Campus Martius, and one facing the Michigan/Griswold intersection.

I'm expecting an annoucement on retail anytime now. Until that time we will just have to speculate on what the retail might be.

Give me anything other than another restaurant! Don't get me wrong, I love all the new restaurants opening up downtown, but I'd love to see actual retail.

I'd really love it if Pewabic Pottery opened up a gallery outlet here or something. I know that they are pretty expensive, but it would really give downtown it's first "chic" store.

I'd really love it if Pewabic Pottery opened up a gallery outlet here or something. I know that they are pretty expensive, but it would really give downtown it's first "chic" store.

There's already one in the Guardian building. :)

Okay, okay.. it's just a small store, and it could probably use a more visible location.

But I agree, more retail, please!

Large-scale retail comes with more residents. Restaurants work because they are destinations, and don't necessarily need the immediate surrounding area to support them, most small-scale/neighborhood retail does. The more the downtown keeps building up, the more quality retail we'll see.

Archived