DDA OKs $3.2M loan for Redico office building

Allan

for the record, the back side of the redico building fronting Griswold is AWFUL. Think garage doors and no windows.
Yeah, it is pretty bad. Due to the lack of an alley for deliveries, they put the loading door right on Griswold.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this is what you get for not only not having an alley, but having and underground lot which would have otherwise been used for the building services.

Is there anyway they could have intergrated the mechanical and practical needs of the building in any better by looking at it from the back? I've never seen in from that angle.

It would be very difficult locating service areas to any other part of the building. First off, it's above an underground parking structure that was built years ago. In most cases, if built completely new, the service doors would be placed below the surface with a long ramp. to help reduce its visual impact.

I plan on going to Detroit tomorrow. I'd like to see it in person before I judge.

On U of M's biomedical building, the loading docks for the building look awesome. The architects worked hard to make them aesthetically pleasing, and there's nice signage above them. They are set back from the street facade, so their presence is more obscure. It would have been nice if they did that in Detroit.

• 2 months later...

I just drove by not too long ago. The spire just doesn't look right on the building.

The Monroe block will not be developed until after the Hudsons block is, since Hudsons has parking already existsing, and the Monroe block does not.

The Monroe Block is still years off, IMO. There hasn't been a formal RFP (Request for Proposal) put out for Monroe.

Woodward (Hudson) Block, on the other hand, was awarded to REDICO a few months back to put together a development plan. They've been given one year.

It is almost inevitable that Woodward Block is next in line unless some outside entity comes out of left field and requests Monroe. Campus Martius is a phased development, and the sites are all loosely connected and marketed in phases.

They're like fins. I guess the best way to describe it is to think of an umbrella stem and when you open the umbrella, the part you push up rests on the little fins. To close the umbrella, you press the "fin" to unlatch it. The spire kinda looks like that. lol...ok, that was dumb. :)

You can kinda see it on that old rendering someone posted of the original Kennedy Square Bldg.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to Redico asking about One Kennedy Square and Hudson Block and this was their response:

OKS, first tenant E&Y we will deliver to June 1, they will take several months to build out. No response public on Hudson.

Dale Watchowski

President and CEO

REDICO

Archived