Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

Wow, so foundation work has begun? That means cement and stuff right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i was there last week they were digging and excavation. Perhaps not cement yet, they may be just preparing a portion of the site for the tower crane.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i was there last week they were digging and excavation. Perhaps not cement yet, they may be just preparing a portion of the site for the tower crane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes yes yes!! :D Crane is very good. I'm going to America on Monday and **hopefully** to Norfolk by the end of June, and I really wanna see a crane up!

Here are some poor quality camera phone images of the Trader Building construction site.

Edit: taken 6/7/2005

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the pics. I drove by today and foundation work is obviously underway for the entire site now even though they were still driving some piles. It also looks like they just got a major shipment of rebar in. There were pallets of it lined up along the perimeter. This building seems to be proceeding at a furious pace.

Recently, Trader sent out a notice to employees:

As anyone who has been in downtown Norfolk can attest, the pile driving part of the project has been progressing well over the past several months. We currently have completed over 750 of the 850 piles and we expect this portion of the project to be complete by the middle of June. This will end the noisiest and most disruptive part of the process and its completion will be a relief to our neighbors including those of us at 100 West Plume.

The next major phase of the project involves the completion of pile caps by our subcontractor Miller & Long Concrete Construction. This portion of the process involves pouring concrete around specifically designed metal rebar to support the foundation of the building. We expect this portion of the project to begin this week and be completed in August. Over the next several weeks, you will see two large tower cranes added to the Norfolk skyline to assist with the completion of pile caps and many of the remaining steps in the construction process.

While the main construction is being completed, our general contractor Whiting-Turner is also busily supervising site work with the coordination of water, storm drainage, underground electrical, the removal of the Heritage Bank drive-through and other site work. Thanks to the hard work of Whiting Turner and the cooperation of the City of Norfolk and Heritage Bank this has gone well.

And this shot came from the webcam that they have put up for employees:

current1xr.jpg

Shh.  :)

Yes, I do.  I work at 100 West Plume and walk by the construction site every day.  I sit here and listen to the pilings being driven every day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a head banging job! :wacko: Well, this is great to see. I can't wait to see the steel go up as well. :)

Wow, thanks veverkap! Very informative. Now we know there will be TWO cranes on this building...very nice. I'm slightly disappointed the cranes won't be up when I visit, but that's ok.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When are you visiting? The email stated the cranes should be up in a few weeks.

current5ej.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to see the pile cap forms in place. Next week you will probably see an army of concrete trucks arriving on site. I believe that in one of the earlier pic's the pile cap for one of the towers had already been poured, if that's the case you'll probably see an army of trucks coming each with a piece of the cranes. It will definately be a mess down there seeing tractor trailers with crane sections trying to navigate through downtowns narrow streets, and concrete trucks all comin' in at once. I'm jealous, you get front row seats to the crane erection and building process :cry:

current5ej.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder which part of the site they're gonna have 2 tower cranes? Also, when the cranes for the Hilton are put up (if it ever starts) thats gonna be kind of a tight fit having 4 massive cranes operating in such a small area.

Here are some poor quality camera phone images of the Trader Building construction site.

Mt%200002.jpg

Mt%200006.jpg

Mt%200007.jpg

Mt%200008.jpg

Edit: taken 6/7/2005

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the looks of these pictures, I believe the pile cap for one crane is located at the corner of the lot, as seen in the second and fourth picture, And possibly the other is almost opposite that one but not on the corner, more in the middle of the lot.

Nice to see the pile cap forms in place.  Next week you will probably see an army of concrete trucks arriving on site.  I believe that in one of the earlier pic's the pile cap for one of the towers had already been poured, if that's the case you'll probably see an army of trucks coming each with a piece of the cranes.  It will definately be a mess down there seeing tractor trailers with crane sections trying to navigate through downtowns narrow streets, and concrete trucks all comin' in at once.  I'm jealous, you get front row seats to the crane erection and building process :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How long does it take to put a tower crane up? I swear when the AH tower was being constructed I went by in the morning and there was nothing and when I went home in the afternoon the crane was fully erected. I just couldn't believe they could do it that fast.

How long does it take to put a tower crane up? I swear when the AH tower was being constructed I went by in the morning and there was nothing and when I went home in the afternoon the crane was fully erected. I just couldn't believe they could do it that fast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These cranes usually only take a day to actually install. But it all depends on when the mobile crane gets there to put them up and how big it is. The one here in NN for the Marriott was up and running in a day, but pieces were sitting and arriving on site for a week. Considering downtown doesn't have room to be storing the actually pieces I would expect this to be a few day process, unless they send an army of trucks all at once which would really plug up the area.

These cranes usually only take a day to actually install.  But it all depends on when the mobile crane gets there to put them up and how big it is.  The one here in NN for the Marriott was up and running in a day, but pieces were sitting and arriving on site for a week.  Considering downtown doesn't have room to be storing the actually pieces I would expect this to be a few day process, unless they send an army of trucks all at once which would really plug up the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I imagine they would do that in the later hours so that it wouldn't plug up dt streets. That would at least be the smart thing to do and start to put it together very early in the morning when there is day light.

When are you visiting? The email stated the cranes should be up in a few weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ok....now that I read it again, I see. I thought that the cranes wouldn't be up until August because of the piles caps, but they can go at the same time, so thats good. If I visit Norfolk, it will most likely be from June 26 - July 3. I'm still trying to convince my dad to drive me down there from Michigan.... :lol:

I'm actually leaving for America on Monday and I won't be back to my home until the end of July. So I won't be on here as often as I would like to... :( **sniff sniff**.

Archived