Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this building probably won't be a signature one, or one that stands out height-wise either. It is probably just a filler, and expands our skyline quite nicely. Without Trader and Harbor Heights, Granby will look even more disconnected  from downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really curious as what they will do with dt plaza. I wonder what is in store for that area. Ihope they put towers there.

I'm really curious as what they will do with dt plaza. I wonder what is in store for that area. Ihope they put towers there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope that the plaza will become a towncenter type development with perhaps a twin-tower concept along with some mixed use condominiums projects! I would call the towers the plaza towers and the same with the condos. Make the term "plaza" a real destination for downtown Norfolk!

The public housing behind the plaza will probably be cleared all the way to Church street which will make for even more room for development.

The parking lot across from Scope along Bute street can become a high-rise district with a couple of signature towers, hopefully a F500 relocation, and a 4-5 star hotel! Please keep the church because it is a historic landmark!

I think that a condo would be perfect for the old St. Mary's site coming into downtown. I also think that the old Juvenile and Domestic building could use a renovation or suffer the fate of a wrecking ball and the site redeveloped.

The waterfront next to Harbor Park can be the site of a waterfront arena, hopefully 20,000 seats and a transportation terminal with light-rail and buses.

A signature tower next to the Court Yard Marriott would be perfect! I also read a couple of years back that one of the parking garages would support a building on top of it and I believe it's the newer one next to Norfolk Southern. Perhaps they will decide to build another tower in their hometown in the near future.

A high-rise could be built on the site of the Kirn's library once it's torn down and a new central library is built!

The Commericial Place building could be incorporated into a new high-rise because it takes up too much space and it ugly in my opinion!

The Union Mission property is another gem and will see some exciting development with a renovation and/or another tower built in the parking lot there.

Brambleton ave has as much potential as the plaza but I think that this area should have projects such as the TCC/central library and other artsy type developments here. Perhaps one or two condos that are florida style or that would compliment Buddy's Granby tower would be fine here also.

We still have Atlantic city, the federal courthouse, the cruise terminal, and the third anchor at mac-mall that deserves mentioning. Whew! We have barely just begun the scratch the surface of development downtown!

I hope that the plaza will become a towncenter type development with perhaps a twin-tower concept along with some mixed use condominiums projects! I would call the towers the plaza towers and the same with the condos. Make the term "plaza" a real destination for downtown Norfolk!

The public housing behind the plaza will probably be cleared all the way to Church street which will make for even more room for development.

The parking lot across from Scope along Bute street can become a high-rise district with a couple of signature towers, hopefully a F500 relocation, and a 4-5 star hotel! Please keep the church because it is a historic landmark!

I think that a condo would be perfect for the old St. Mary's site coming into downtown. I also think that the old Juvenile and Domestic building could use a renovation or suffer the fate of a wrecking ball and the site redeveloped.

The waterfront next to Harbor Park can be the site of a waterfront arena, hopefully 20,000 seats and a transportation terminal with light-rail and buses.

A signature tower next to the Court Yard Marriott would be perfect! I also read a couple of years back that one of the parking garages would support a building on top of it and I believe it's the newer one next to Norfolk Southern. Perhaps they will decide to build another tower in their hometown in the near future.

A high-rise could be built on the site of the Kirn's library once it's torn down and a new central library is built!

The Commericial Place building could be incorporated into a new high-rise because it takes up too much space and it ugly in my opinion!

The Union Mission property is another gem and will see some exciting development with a renovation and/or another tower built in the parking lot there.

Brambleton ave has as much potential as the plaza but I think that this area should have projects such as the TCC/central library and other artsy type developments here. Perhaps one or two condos that are florida style or that would compliment Buddy's Granby tower would be fine here also.

We still have Atlantic city, the federal courthouse, the cruise terminal, and the third anchor at mac-mall that deserves mentioning. Whew! We have barely just begun the scratch the surface of development downtown!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's great to dream. Do you guys think that this will all fizzle down or do you think we will become a large and respected Metro?I just hope downtown Norfolk expands all the way to VaBeach Blvd.

It's great to dream. Do you guys think that this will all fizzle down or do you think we will become a large and respected Metro?I just hope downtown Norfolk expands all the way to VaBeach Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not fizzling down anytime soon. We sailed through the the base closures and have more developers pouring into the city than we can shake a stick at. If anything, we're at the beginning of a 10 year boom.

It's not fizzling down anytime soon. We sailed through the the base closures and have more developers pouring into the city than we can shake a stick at. If anything, we're at the beginning of a 10 year boom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sure seems like a boom that will keep going on indefinitely, but you never know. Another 9/11 could happen anytime, the housing market could collapse, anything could happen. but I DEFINITELY want this high-rise boom to continue though! It is beyond amazing!!!!

It sure seems like a boom that will keep going on indefinitely, but you never know. Another 9/11 could happen anytime, the housing market could collapse, anything could happen. but I DEFINITELY want this high-rise boom to continue though! It is beyond amazing!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i know. Just trying to stay positive :thumbsup: .

My whole building is shaking this morning from the pile driving.

After the Trader Building is finished, Harbor Heights should start shaking up things a bit. In actuality downtown should be shaking pretty bad for the next few years.

After the Trader Building is finished, Harbor Heights should start shaking up things a bit. In actuality downtown should be shaking pretty bad for the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not so new to the forums, i've been lurking for months.

I work in the Decker building and I guess they will finish with the piles right before we move over to the new building.

And then I suppose the pile driving for the new hotel/convention center will begin. I love the action downtown, but the banging can be quite the headache.

I'm not so new to the forums, i've been lurking for months. 

I work in the Decker building and I guess they will finish with the piles right before we move over to the new building.

And then I suppose the pile driving for the new hotel/convention center will begin.  I love the action downtown, but the banging can be quite the headache.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum tuffsim. Nice to have someone working in Deckers building as part of this forum. You also indavertantly confirmed our time table on the move as well so thank you. I know this isn't the thread for it but i have to ask, have you heard any news on the Hilton?

Welcome to the forum tuffsim. Nice to have someone working in Deckers building as part of this forum. You also indavertantly confirmed our time table on the move as well so thank you. I know this isn't the thread for it but i have to ask, have you heard any news on the Hilton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the welcome.

The move is actually scheduled for the end of July. But the move date is solely based on finishing construction of the new offices. Some of us in the office have our doubts that the construction crews will meet that deadline.

As for the Hilton, all I know is what I read here and in the Virginian Pilot.

Thanks for the welcome.

The move is actually scheduled for the end of July.  But the move date is solely based on finishing construction of the new offices.  Some of us in the office have our doubts that the construction crews will meet that deadline.

As for the Hilton, all I know is what I read here and in the Virginian Pilot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the parking lot next to your building, will that remain open for that time period?

No clue.  The lot is owned by the city now.  Everybody in this office parks in area garages.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, that makes sense then cause the city initially said they want to close the lot by mid to late june. I didn't see how that would be possible with you guys still in the building but now it makes sense.

Ok, that makes sense then cause the city initially said they want to close the lot by mid to late june. I didn't see how that would be possible with you guys still in the building but now it makes sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a possibility but right now it is still hard to tell. Foundation work has begun on the eastern half of the footprint but the other half still has piles being driven. We'll see what happens within the next month :)

That's a possibility but right now it is still hard to tell. Foundation work has begun on the eastern half of the footprint but the other half still has piles being driven. We'll see what happens within the next month  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Did you mean to quote rus instead of me ace? I would love for them to have started driving piles on the Hilton but i think thats a bit away. :D

:lol: Did you mean to quote rus instead of me ace? I would love for them to have started driving piles on the Hilton but i think thats a bit away. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, oops. Yeah I meant to qoute rus. I gez I clicked on the wrong spot (that or maybe the heat is starting to have an effect on me lol). But you can look at my accidental quote to you as a way of "progress" because talk of lot closings, demolition, and possibly pile-driving would have been a joke a month ago lol.

But you can look at my accidental quote to you as a way of "progress" because talk of lot closings, demolition, and possibly pile-driving would have been a joke a month ago lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, no kidding! :lol:

Archived