Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Relish is open and has great food. As for parking, not to worry...they have tokens for the lot behind their location. Be sure to ask when you pay. :thumbsup:

Thatguy, I admit to either have forgotten, or knowing nothing about RELISH. Would you do me a favor and post more information about it in the Richmond Dining Out thread? Or if you prefer, simply elaborate here. Thanks.

Interesting article on the Port of Richmond...

The ongoing voyage of the Port of Richmond

This is an interesting and enlightening piece by Chip Jones. Richmond is 100 miles upstream from the Atlantic Ocean, and while loadings at Deep Water Terminal of about half a million tons is a fraction of the tonnage at Hampton Roads ports, it has done pretty well since it opened in 1939.

I hope Congress approves widening the turning basin by 165 feet to facilitate the berthing of ships at the 1500 foot long wharf. In order for that to happen, I gather from Chip's story that Henrico's shoreline across the James from the terminal will have to be excavated.

Something not mentioned in the story was a suggestion by the port manager a year or so ago that its rail facilities might make a feasible overnight/turn around location for new train service at MSS.

Also from the RTD

The Henrico Theatre at 305 E. Nine Mile Road was built in 1938 and closed in 1990. This 17,000 sf theatre will be renovated and used for multi-venue events. Renovations will consist of a concrete floor, new projectors, lighting, and visual equipment, mechanical, room and dressing rooms. The scheduled completion date is September. The contractor is Daniel & Co. Inc.

Didn't JSI give us an update on Toad's?

Yes. As a matter of fact, JSI did tell us that they have cut the hole in the floor at Toads, and that, as I said, is a sign of hope. But it is so far behind schedule.

The situation about The National concerns me because apparently there is little sign of activity. A friend told me that he and his wife were able to walk right into the lobby a couple of weeks ago and did not have to sneak around barriers. They did not attempt to go beyond the lobby. I have e-mailed the designers of the building who had been so forthcoming at the beginning, but there has been no response.

Looking at the Times Dispatch Building Permits column really makes one wonder why some of its listings appear to be very out-of-date.

Today's column would lead one to believe that work is just getting underway at Philip Morris USA Research facility. It makes it sound as if foundation at 601 East Jackson Street, including 149 drilled piers costing $64.1 million, is just getting approved when in actuality the huge building is on the brink of opening.

Edited by burt

When Shak was in town we talked about a rumor he and I had heard about a possible Starwoods Hotel property under consideration for a downtown site. One of the sites tossed around was Grace between 6th and 7th (former site of the Atlantic Life Building and garage.)

I haven't seen any mention of such a possibility since last fall. Centennial Towers at 6th and Main apparently will get a Courtyard by Marriott. The John Marshall renovation at 5th and Franklin doesn't appear to be moving forward, and there has been no further word about a 200+ room expansion at the Richmond Marriott on the north side of Broad between 5th and 6th streets.

On the positive side, renovation is now underway at the former Miller & Rhoads department store covering the block bounded by Broad/Grace/5th and 6th. It is expected to open by 2009 as a Hilton Garden Inn.

Starwoods is the mother ship of Westin, Sheraton, W and a new breed called Aloft hotels. I'm hoping they seriously consider an Aloft on the Grace Street site across from Richmond CenterStage. Alofts are considered ultra chic, along the W line, and are rising in business-rich markets.

The Westin (a Starwoods-name property) is under construction at Reynolds Crossing on West Broad near Glenside Drive and very close to Phillip Morris headquarters. I understand one or two other business structures have broken ground at Reynolds Crossing. The Westin will be about 8 stories high.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few items I noted on today's Times Dispatch Building Permits listing:

Marshall Street Condos, 110 West Marshall, demolish part of building and construct 23 condos and 1st floor commercial. $1.75M

Super Duper Properties LLV. 619 East Main Street; heavy remodeling of night club space to include bathrooms, restaurant seating, doorways and window. $250,000.

(I'm pretty sure this is the expansion of Capital Ale House).

Riverside Ownwer LLC. 1001 Haxall point; build out restaurant to include kitchen, bathroom, dining and serving areas. $255,122.

This, I'm sure, is BLACKFINN in the commercial tower of ROTJ.

It looks like they're going to put a sign in the median of Fairfield Way at Mechanicsville. So help the city, if it's a neighborhood name and it's wrong... ooooooooh :angry: They already had Channel 12 calling Chelsea Place Eastview!!! Eastview is on the other side of the pike. Anything to confirm this digging? Maybe it's a hush hush monument?

Mayor Wilder announces planned marina on Richmond Riverfront

I think this would be a fantastic asset!

Some details:

According to a recent announcement made by Mayor L. Douglas Wilder, the city of Richmond will have its own marina within the next three years....

Though most of the future marina's plans are still quite abstract at this point, Brown said preliminary plans include a multimillion dollar recreational facility with 85 to 100 boat slips, which will be able to accommodate vessels up to 215 feet long. He said plans will also include green space and some opportunities for commercial interests though he couldn't give details....

According to Jeanne Welliver, another project development manager with the city's economic development office, Richmond's marina site at 18 feet deep will be one of the deepest ports this far inland, thus not a problem for travelers of the Intracoastal, which is maintained at a minimum of 12 feet.

a 215 foot long boat would be pretty substantial! The city hopes to lure traffic from the intracoastal waterway which would boost tourism in the area. Mayor Wilder also envisions "cruise ships" from Hampton Roads docking at the new facility.

This is very good news for the navigable stretch of the James in Richmond.

I didn't read any mention of a Rocketts Landing extension in the story.

Mr. Wilder in his video certainly sounded opposed to high rises on the river banks. How will the Mayor's resistence affect Echo Harbour dreams?

There was an interesting column by Ray McAllister in a recent RTD about steamers that plied rivers in the western parts of Virginia. One of the ships called The Nellie, 85 feet long, sank in the Staunton River near Brookneal back in the late 19th Century. My point is that a ship of such length only drew 2 feet of water fully loaded. That supports my argument for low-draft vessels traveling upstream in the James as far as Mayo Island. They could begin dinner cruises at the foot of 17th Street in the Kanawa Canal, pass thru Great Ship Lock and head upstream. Of course, Norfolk Southern would have to make its Bascule bridge operable.

Dream on, Burt!

Edited by burt